Reolink RLC-810A main stream connection terrible

Windcrest

n3wb
Reaction score
Has anyone been able to get these cameras to connect properly to Blue Iris?

I finally got my 810a camera to connect. But the main stream is so blurred by movement or it freezes on one half that it's useless. The sub stream works as it should. After hours of trying different settings, I will just return this unless someone figured this out. I have several other Reolink 410's and have had some problems, but not as bad as this.

What finally made all the difference was in the Network->advanced->port settings of the Reolink client for that camera. Turn on RTMP, RTSP and ONVIF. I did this for the Reolink Duo 2 and it started working too fyi. (I didn't see this posted elsewhere.)

I have all settings at 15fps main and sub.

Also, I upgraded all software and firmware. You have to find it yourself on Reolink's website.

Here's the setup:
View attachment 140196
1663437514519.png

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone been able to get these cameras to connect properly to Blue Iris?

I finally got my 810a camera to connect. But the main stream is so blurred by movement or it freezes on one half that it's useless. The sub stream works as it should. After hours of trying different settings, I will just return this unless someone figured this out. I have several other Reolink 410's and have had some problems, but not as bad as this.

What finally made all the difference was in the Network->advanced->port settings of the Reolink client for that camera. Turn on RTMP, RTSP and ONVIF. I did this for the Reolink Duo 2 and it started working too fyi. (I didn't see this posted elsewhere.)

I have all settings at 15fps main and sub.

Also, I upgraded all software and firmware. You have to find it yourself on Reolink's website.

Here's the setup:
View attachment 140196
View attachment 140211
Welcome @Windcrest

What firmware version do you have on the Reolink RLC-810A now? ( this should be useful for others who will be following this )

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Best to return them and get a camera truly compatible with BI.

There are tons of threads here of problems with BI and reolink. And then the problems with motion at night.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
SO what is the big attraction to buying the Reolink systems? Is the App pretty awesome or something?
I just came from a Birthday party the other day, and the guy had reolinks, screwed to the wooden eaves, with no weather proofing on the connections, and just basically wires stapled to wood.
Then he complained about the zoom......
and there was no zoom,
He was just software zooming the pic on the App.
Then I showed him the Jivetech/Hikvision 2MP PTZ 25X on the Blue Iris App zoom into a License plate at 200 feet.
SO now he wants one.
and yet
there is no easy way once you go all in with Reolink to get back out with out abandoning the whole shitaroo.
He wants to try my 49425 PTZ to see if will work on his Reolink link system....
As an external cam outside the POE of the NVR.
it's gonna be a long process to get this guy outta the reolink hole,
and I just don't think i have the energy....

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
SO what is the big attraction to buying the Reolink systems? Is the App pretty awesome or something?
I just came from a Birthday party the other day, and the guy had reolinks, screwed to the wooden eaves, with no weather proofing on the connections, and just basically wires stapled to wood.
Then he complained about the zoom......
and there was no zoom,
He was just software zooming the pic on the App.
Then I showed him the Jivetech/Hikvision 2MP PTZ 25X on the Blue Iris App zoom into a License plate at 200 feet.
SO now he wants one.
and yet
there is no easy way once you go all in with Reolink to get back out with out abandoning the whole shitaroo.
He wants to try my 49425 PTZ to see if will work on his Reolink link system....
As an external cam outside the POE of the NVR.
it's gonna be a long process to get this guy outta the reolink hole,
and I just don't think i have the energy....
Great info @Flintstone61

If you get a chance, this would be a great question to ask him:

"What convinced you to buy Reolink?"

From what I can tell, a lot of new to this subject are sold on to Reolink due to Youtube and other influencers who have gotten free cameras from Reolink to review.

Many of those youtube reviewers either are new to the subject themselves, or are not fully honest about some of the issues.

The older videos from TheHookUp seemed to be so similar to the other Reolink Shills that I suspected that Rob was not without bias ( I know, English majors do not like double negatives .. so .. for them.. HookUp biased toward Reolink - which imho seems a valid point ).

Reolink is very afford and sold directly to the consumer from the company, so they're reduced the costs to the end user while keeping up the profit margin.

Still it would be great to hear from more Reolink customers what got them to get Reolink instead of something else.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
just for shitz and giggles I googled "Security cameras" as a typical uninformed person might.
I posted the first hit. So you can see what @DidyouDahua is getting at. They put the money up to be up top and " in the running" for ad placement, and ad placement within other keywords like Best and Wireless etc...

sgt-flippy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yup, I did the same and returned them after the advice I got here.

Thing is, I wanted to get going, was playing with the idea a while, but wasn't constantly looking stuff up about it, so did a quick search and started collecting all the equipment. I found this website, because I preferred Blue Iris for my Sharptools dashboard. Found the topics about which machine, but didn't come across a good or bad camera wiki. It's quite hell to find out about all the different types of cameras, especially with their naming format.
So what is it that Reolink does well? It's got a limited line-up, easy to choose, the specs seem to match up, they are quite cheap, every other google result shows them on top. Alternatives you get on Google are Nest, Ring, etc, which are rather expensive in comparison and I knew wouldn't play nice with Sharptools.
Dahua, barely ever comes up in a Google search and to be completely honest, the name sounds like a cheap chinese knock-off. Then reading about rebranded dahuas, doesn't help either. It sounds more of a fairy tale than the Reolinks.

The whole security camera marketing and knowledge base seems a bit lacking too. Very difficult to find good info, everything is situation based, so anyone with bad results, just bought the wrong camera to begin with. A lot of people want this for just some peace of mind, so they don't want to spend over a 1000 $ on it. So Reolink sounds like a good middle way. As for me, I was planning a system below 500 at first. Worked out with Reolink. Now I have Dahua and Hikvision, only 2 camera's and already at 800. I even started with the cheaper ones...

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I followed this video and was able to get my 2x 820A's working in BI:
Hi @Windcrest please let us know if @KenAllen15 refence helps you get this issue resolved ..

FYI - recently did some analysis on TheHookUps cheap camera recommendation..

Reolink, Reviews, Deception, DORI / FOV / math matters, or why image comparisons are only part of the story ..

This was inspired by Wittaj's post ...

Windcrest

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, the video instructions fixed all the issues at least over the last couple of minutes. I'll update if not. Thanks so much. I nearly returned this.

I got Reolinks because they had good reviews on Amazon and were cheap. I'm not looking for motion detection, I constantly record. I'm watching history and don't need optical zoom. Better night vision would be nice, but not worth extra to me.

1663625109256.png

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks, the video instructions fixed all the issues at least over the last couple of minutes. I'll update if not. Thanks so much. I nearly returned this.

I got Reolinks because they had good reviews on Amazon and were cheap. I'm not looking for motion detection, I constantly record. I'm watching history and don't need optical zoom. Better night vision would be nice, but not worth extra to me.

View attachment 140448
Thanks @Windcrest

FYI - typing the info you provided in the text to help others

Reolink 8MP
Hardware No. IPC_523128M8MP
Config Version: v3.1.0.0
Firmware Version: v3.1.0.956_22041503

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

View attachment 140448
How many of those good reviews were based on static images LOL. Forums like this exist to show what cameras are capable/not capable of when motion happens at night - which is when most of us want the cameras to perform!

Let's hope nothing happens at night that makes you regret not getting a comparable priced Amcrest that would perform better at night! Or that what you have the camera for doesn't need that capability!