ReoLink RLC 1220a work with Blue Iris?

chyatt21

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Does anyone have comformation if the RLC 1220a works with B.I?

chyatt21

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No reolink camera will properly work with blue iris. This is because you cannot specify the iframe interval in the firmware. Reolinks, lies notwithstanding.
Then why are there plenty of youtubers that suggest reolinks with blue iris? I will have to look into what iframe interval is. Is it something necessary? Thank you

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Probably getting paid by them...

The issue with not being able to adjust the i-frame is that many people have come here posting their videos from said cameras and asking for help because the entire motion trigger misses the actual event.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Look in the Wiki, in the blue bar at the top of the page. You'll find out what you don't know in there. iframe, frame rate and bit rate are all keys to proper camera operation and dependable motion detection especially under low light conditions. Reolink does not allow you to control those in any significant manner to make them dependable and reliable.

chyatt21

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Probably getting paid by them...

The issue with not being able to adjust the i-frame is that many people have come here posting their videos from said cameras and asking for help because the entire motion trigger misses the actual event.
I imagine some or most are sponsored. Although I know "the hookup" gives an honest review.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Take a look at these:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Then why are there plenty of youtubers that suggest reolinks with blue iris?
Just my perspective regarding YouTube:
  • There are videos of people putting a Tide Pod in their mouth.
  • There are videos of young men jumping off a barn roof into the bed of a moving pickup truck while holding a beer
  • There are videos of people jumping a golf cart across a 10 foot ditch
  • and so on ad nauseam
In short....lots of not-so-great ideas with less than desirable outcomes on YouTube...including IP camera recommendations.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I imagine some or most are sponsored. Although I know "the hookup" gives an honest review.
Oh no! @chyatt21

That's the dangerous part.. it seems like they are honest reviews for those new to the topic.

Once you start to learn more, you notice there are numerous issues with his videos, and thus they are extremely deceiving to those newer to the subject matter.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Gut feeling i suppose. And he says it out right in some of his videos. So if the video he says it in and it proves to be wrong then he would be lieing through his teeth
Hi @chyatt21

Q: Can you explain to us how you know his reviews are honest?
A: .. he says it out right in some of his videos. So if the video he says it in and it proves to be wrong then he would be lying through his teeth

Yes.. absolutely a valid conclusion: he would be lying through his teeth

Or.. just not fully knowledgeable on the topic - in which case you should also reject his conclusions and "honest review" statements...

aleiro

n3wb
Reaction score
I have all Reolink cameras and they work great with Blue Iris. I have the bullet style, a couple domes, and just bought the 1220a. I am having a problem with it not wanting to stream 4096*3072, but this is an issue with the camera, but Blue Iris. I have it running at 3840x2160 until I figure it out. All my other cameras have been on for over two years, so I'm not real sure about everyone else that has replied.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have all Reolink cameras and they work great with Blue Iris. I have the bullet style, a couple domes, and just bought the 1220a. I am having a problem with it not wanting to stream 4096*3072, but this is an issue with the camera, but Blue Iris. I have it running at 3840x2160 until I figure it out. All my other cameras have been on for over two years, so I'm not real sure about everyone else that has replied.
That is impossible. Unless you using very basic functionality of blue Iris. See the help file where the developer talks about key frames also known as iframes which can not be set in the reolink firmware. Not to mention subpar sensors, automatically increasing exposure in low light to trick the consumer into thinking there is good picture when any motion will be a blur, and a company that posts fake reviews by pretending to be end users.

aleiro

n3wb
Reaction score
That is impossible. Unless you using very basic functionality of blue Iris. See the help file where the developer talks about key frames also known as iframes which can not be set in the reolink firmware. Not to mention subpar sensors, automatically increasing exposure in low light to trick the consumer into thinking there is good picture when any motion will be a blur, and a company that posts fake reviews by pretending to be end users.
Ya, it's a basic setup. I have 5 cameras running 4k at 20-22 fps. I spun up a VM on my server, enabled the Nvidia GPU for passthrough and write direct to disk to keep the clock rate down. Averages 30% cpu utilization with 8 cores dedicated to the VM.
For blue iris, I just reduced the make time and increased the sensitivity. Then capture the last 3 seconds on all cameras, so when it trips the alert it catches the entire event.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ya, it's a basic setup. I have 5 cameras running 4k at 20-22 fps. I spun up a VM on my server, enabled the Nvidia GPU for passthrough and write direct to disk to keep the clock rate down. Averages 30% cpu utilization with 8 cores dedicated to the VM.
For blue iris, I just reduced the make time and increased the sensitivity. Then capture the last 3 seconds on all cameras, so when it trips the alert it catches the entire event.
That will not guarantee a capture before the event because the iframe interval could be well in excess of 3 times the frame rate

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It works fine, but thank you for the input.
It cannot work fine. That is my point. You dont even know that its not working, you will miss video as the iframe interval in the reolink cameras are dynamic - like using smart or + codecs which we know cause recording issues and missed video . On top of recording issues, you will often have huge delays when switching between the matrix view and full camera view, if you use the substream feature to reduce cpu - a powerful feature in BI . Therefore, reolink cameras are simply not compatible with blue iris.

Tommyt79

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No reolink camera will properly work with blue iris. This is because you cannot specify the iframe interval in the firmware. Reolinks, lies notwithstanding.
Guess my Reolink cameras are different as they work fine using BI... Running a RLC-522 and an RC-511. Not the best quality camera, and when they die, I would not replace them with Reolink. But when working, they probably have the best IR coverage for ANY camera I have. Including a Dahua camera I have cost 6 times more. The software options are minimal and you cannot set the iframe rates. But for $50... It's ok. But, they do work with Blue Iris.

Reolink cameras will not last as my RC-511 was replaced under warranty 3 times. Quality is just not good.