reolink poe night camera replacement

sdipcam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm running a reolink poe bullet camera on a soffit and the night picture is a bit lacking so I wanted to see if I can replace it. Based on my reading here, it seems I should get a dahua? 5231 or B5442E-ZE for good night vision. Just wanted to confirm that before I ask empire andy for a quote. Some things that im concerned about:

1. I use the reolink app and I don't have any plans to get blue iris. I run a linux homelab and probably won't run a windows vm. So I am wondering, is there an app so I can view the camera on my android phone? I know nothing about blue iris.
2. I have reolink setup to upload the scenes it captures to an ftp on my network and just have a shell script to delete videos older than 30 days. Will this camera support something similar on its own or is this where blue iris is needed?
3. Should i get bullet or dome style? For the reolink it seems the bullet was recommended because of some issue with the dome one. Is that still the case for these?
4. I see 5442 is the new kid on the block, so I'm wondering if it has some quirks/limitations that I should be mindful of? I don't need the latest and greatest, just something dependable and flexible. Or maybe that is what blue iris does, it gets the stream that is the same for any camera and then does all the post processing so you dont need to worry about camera software differences? Again, I dont know what blue iris does, but i would like to avoid it or get a linux alternative.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The 5442 has been around for several years and certainly isn't the new kid on the block LOL. It is the current king of night vision if infrared is needed. The 4K/X is the new kid on the block but it cannot see infrared and still has a few quirks.

Dahua has a DMSS app you can use if you don't have another VMS. It will not work with the Reolink app. Blue Iris would need a dedicated computer. You can send to FTP

This camera comes in bullet or turret, not a dome. Turret is fine. Dome is not.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1-Yes, Dahua DMSS or Tiny Cam Pro.
2-Yes.
3-Domes are not recommended for outdoors, due to reflections, dirt on the dome, etc.
4-5442 series has been out for a couple of years. You can put an SD card in the cam an record to it. It is the go to cam if Night Vision is important. See the reviews of that series that have been posted here.
If you have a lower budget, this is good alternative. Review-OEM IPC-T3241-ZAS 2mp AI Lite series Varifocal | IP Cam Talk

See these: Camera Suggestions, Cliff Notes.

sdipcam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
thanks that makes it easy then. I'll get a 5442.

Just to make sure, if I put an sd card, I can view the latest recordings just like the reolink correct? Want to make sure its not just live view on the dahua app.

Also, whats recommended, the dahua app or tiny cam pro? I'm guessing tiny cam pro lets me put together a bunch of different brands?