Reolink high F stop and flying bugs....

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have 14 cameras ranging in price from $50 to $3500. 5 of them are Reolinks. Several of them are even in locations, like the attic, that are perfectly fine for what they do.

One of them is a 410 on the west side of my house. The aperature is closed down very small even at night with IR which means everything close up is nearly in focus even though the focus is pretty much at infinity.

The result is that you see the bugs zipping around at night 12 inches from the camera. It makes it nearly unusable. The 411s I have outside is much better and you don't see the bugs like in the 410 because it has a faster lens and the aperture is open wider.

The 410 is aweful. Replacing it with a cheap $90 Dahua Starlight in a few days.

View attachment BugsReolink.mp4

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
This is rain/snow and a result of using internal IR light of the cameras... what you see are simple backreflections.
you can buy any camera and will get this result.

Dont use IR light or try external IRlight, problem solved.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^^

The result is that you see the bugs zipping around at night 12 inches from the camera.
Not that it matters (a trigger is a trigger), but could possibly be moisture pellets due to foggy conditions; I see those most every late night and very early before dawn, living 500 yards uphill from a 20,000 acre man-made lake.