ReoLink 820A Multistream Framrate Issues

yghujnkl

n3wb
Reaction score
Ordered an 820A the other week, noticed that when I add the camera to BI with two streams as individual cameras, substream @ 480 for 24/7 recording, main stream for motion recording @ 4k, the main stream framerate drops to almost zero. If I remove the substream, the main stream frame rate picks back up.
The both streams are fine when viewed in VLC.
I don't believe it's a performance issue, my box has 16 cores, 8GB RAM (only ~2GB being used), and plenty of disk write speed.
Any thoughts on what might be causing this?

Looks like I'm not the only one facing this issue:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Reolinks are known to have issues with Blue Iris because you cannot adjust i-frame rates and other issues despite the claim they work with Blue Iris. Return if you can LOL....

Icyyy

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey,
I had the same issue for about a month and found a workaround solution today.
I have the main and sub stream configured as seperate cams. When using both cameras via RTSP the frames of the main stream drop to 0.x.
But if I use the RTMP Stream for the sub channel the FPS for the main stay constant.
I verified that on both of my cams and then registered here to share. Maybe you can verify that solution as well..

RTMP URL: rtmp:/[IP]/bcs/channel0_sub.bcs?channel=0&stream=0&user=admin&password=[PW]

austwhite

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you must use Reolink cameras, for the 4K cameras you need to enable Decoder Compatibility in the camera settings to get the 4K stream.
This is because Reolink use a very outdated version of LIVE555 Media Server to stream RTSP and they have absolutely no intention of updating this.
Unfortunately Reolink do not offer an RTMP feed of the H264+ stream on their 4K cameras, or at least not one I have found yet. You can get the sub stream and balanced stream via RTMP. (replace sub with ext to get balanced stream on RTMP url)
Like other things they refuse to do in firmware to make the camera's actually useable.....

honestly, if you can get rid of the Reolink you may be better off. I am not a Reolink hater like some are. Just speaking from personal experience using their cameras.

pianoman

n3wb
Reaction score
Reolinks are known to have issues with Blue Iris because you cannot adjust i-frame rates and other issues despite the claim they work with Blue Iris. Return if you can LOL....
Reolink support told me yesterday that the inability to adjust i-frame rates on the RLC-820/520 is due to a hardware limitation that will NOT be fixed by any upcoming firmware releases. Return if you can, and leave a poor review if you are so inclined.

austwhite

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Reolink support told me yesterday that the inability to adjust i-frame rates on the RLC-820/520 is due to a hardware limitation that will NOT be fixed by any upcoming firmware releases. Return if you can, and leave a poor review if you are so inclined.
Another REOLINK lie. The hardware is capable of iFrame adjustment as the cameras actually auto adjust it. If you monitor the frame rate you will see the iFrame rate does change, never above 0.5 though.
BTW: Reolink 4K cameras have the same freaking sensor as the 4/5MP cameras. They upscale it internally. RTSP feed from Reolink camera is awful too. RTMP feed is better quality on 4/5MP cameras, but the 4K cameras cant output high res RTMP as a stream we can access in BI.
IF you can ditch the Reolinks and get something else, please do.