Remote PTZ camera

Reaction score
Hi. New member. First post.
I would like to place a surveillance camera on a building that is approximately 800' away from my recorder. I have tried CAT 5 cable and that works well except that about once a year we have a lightning storm that takes out the camera or the recorder card in my computer. There is a dense growth of trees between the two locations, so there is no straight line clear visibility path between the two locations.
I do have a Dakota Alert wireless security system that operates on 151.820 Mhz that works quite well between the two locations, but that is simply an alert signal from a motion sensor.

Looking for suggestions on how to operate a PTZ security camera between these two locations without a wired connection. There is AC power on both ends.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
The guys here pointed me to a couple of Ubiquiti products. In my case i bought these:
Ubiquiti LocoM2 2-PACK PRE-CONFIGURED Nanostation Loco M2 AirMax CPE 2.4GHz
I have about 400 feet between the main Condo and the remote garage. I have 1 tree branch partially in the line, and able to get a 2 camera feed off of an Amcrest DVR - (AMDV8M8-H5). 1 cam is 2MP and the other is 8MP.
It's really no comparison to your distance, and obstructions but I think some other guys have used more powerful versions of this tech with good results. Hopefully somebody chimes in shortly.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
You said you're tried Cat5 so you must have some way to get cable there. Try a fiber run instead?

Won't save the cam from a lightning strike where it's in the path but nothing in between will, even wireless.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I would run fiber.
It isolates you totally between the two buildings.

Ubiquity would work also, but probably more expensive.
I have a multi point ubiquity setup with one leg over 10 miles.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I like the idea of Fiber. But thinking about lightning, I wonder if there are some other isolation techniques out there that would save the equipment from getting smoked.

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.
From what I have read Ubiquiti requires line of sight which would, in my case, would require cutting a lot of trees.
Running a fiber line would be very difficult because of the trees (roots) and terrain, very steep hills and a creek crossing. I cut the trenches myself for the old CAT 5 cables about 20 years ago and It was a real task then when I was younger. Don't think I could handle it now, and hiring it out would be costly.
I was hoping for a point to point wireless solution, something like my drone, only perhaps a little less costly.

Kevin_Essiambre

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I know line of sight is better for the wireless link, but I'm gonna throw in my 2 cents...

I just installed a pair of ubiquiti nanobeam 5AC gen2 radios the other day at a construction site. The radios had enough power to go through about 60' of wood and metal building, total link length was about 400'. Signal strength was great (like, -64db).

I'd be willing to try the wireless link, if there's not an entire forest in the way. Several trees, it would be worth a shot.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Tony:
Thanks for your reply. I am ignorant when it comes to this wireless stuff, but from what I have found the Ubiquiti Gen2 may be a solution.
Did your installation us PTZ camera(s)? What other equipment was used in your installation?
Thanks,
Charles