Remote programming charge

grendel54

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I know this is off topic from the usual IPCAM talk (Id just like to mention that this is the best site for security cam info), but I know there are a lot of low voltage installers scrolling these forums, not just camera guys. Ok, so I've spent the last couple days programming some Procontrol.r universal remotes and processors. I have spent the better part of the last two days programming and I am not a novice. I will be surely charging the client for this and I have a normal charge that I charge. I would just like to see what others charge their clients for these? Do you include it in the purchase of the remotes or do you charge separately for programming. If you include it and have to change something later on, do you charge for that? Id like to see what others are doing...
thanks for any responses.

here are the remotes I'm currently using...

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The Squad Team (Best Buy) charge an extra $100 for programming a Logitech Harmony remote, an that only takes a couple of hours. Are you doing the equipment set-up as well?

grendel54

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I set up all the equipment ran wires, did everything. What takes me the longest is programming. This is nowhere near programming a HArmony. Ive done those as well.

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Recommend you always separate the equipment & labor charges. I can sell you a car, but to teach you to drive is a whole other story.
Access the client's needs, define a scope of work (SOW) and set expectations. In my area, independent AV programmers will charge up to $150/hr - I'm referring to programmers who write code & create UI's.
Change orders are inevitable (despite having a solid SOW), helps to have this cost spelled out in the proposal.

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I normally charge labor between 20~25% of all quoted products, and may or may not include the programming, depending on the complexity of the project. Most of my installations are HT and A/V multi-zones, in which I recommend/sell the products. Most of my programming are on file, since I install/recommend the same products (Denon, Epson, Episode, Roku, Samsung, etc.).