Remote Monitor

Don Schultz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am running 16 cameras with blue iris on a i7 Dell. Whats the best way to add a remote monitor displaying camera vid about 50 feet away from the computer?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If you can run cable, then probably HDMI over ethernet...

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Go check out monoprice.com ; you can find Video Splitters and Cable Lengths of all sorts for very affordable prices.. Digital would be better vs analogue, but if you want sound and your BI server does not do HDMI audio you might opt for analogue video with audio cable.

they also great cheap wall monitor mounts and wall jacks if you want to clean it up real profesh.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What do you have for video out on the PC?
Both displays will be 1920x1080 and identical views?

If you have more than one graphics port you could do dual monitors, one vga one hdmi for instance, and duplicate or mirror them; but that will tax the computer system (some).

If you have HDMI, the easiest would be hdmi duplicator and extra long HDMI cable ($1/ft), provided you can run the cable. No load extra load on the computer.

There's HDMI over ethernet extenders (I use them) but cost could be a wash depending on the extender, buying cable(s), shipping ... still need to be able to run the cable physically.

Beyond that, HDMI duplications and wireless HDMI may be an option if you can't run cable, provided you have good wireless transmission throughout the wall(s) if you need to go through them.

So there are some options. Solutions and being easy really depends on physical circumstances and then budget.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
most of the wireless HDMI that can do 1080p@60fps well run at extremely high frequencies (24-56Ghz) and they dont go through walls at all.. there more for getting it across a room line of sight to a point where you CAN run a HDMI cable through the walls... I kinda need one to get to my TV mounted on the fireplace without drilling giant holes in it; they are not cheap and I fear 4k is not realistic for wireless physics without some crazy voodoo or massive lossy compression.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks nayr, I haven't tried one of those myself yet due to $$$ vs running wires :)