Remote login from unrecognized external ip address

5string

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Log says admin remote login from ip 10.119.149.174 with admin logout a minute later. password had been changed on initial setup. Should I be concerned?

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
10.119.149.174 is an unroutable (private) address. does your ISP router provide a 'public' wireless interface (like the default for comcast boxes to provide xfinity wifi)?
perhaps one of your access devices was connected to that instead of your internal wireless network when you accessed the NVR...

5string

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
10.119.149.174 is an unroutable (private) address. does your ISP router provide a 'public' wireless interface (like the default for comcast boxes to provide xfinity wifi)?
perhaps one of your access devices was connected to that instead of your internal wireless network when you accessed the NVR...
We have a cablemodem with ip phone. only routers are my own. weird...

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Could be that your mobile provider doesn't show its IP in this case, but not sure. I know my provider (Verizon) displays a correct external IP when I use my mobile to connect. I get attempted connections to my BI server all the time from outside addresses from China, Netherlands, even Chicago that are not mine. If you are worried about it though, just close off the ports in your router to your DVR and run a VPN to gain access to it.

5string

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Could be that your mobile provider doesn't show its IP in this case, but not sure. I know my provider (Verizon) displays a correct external IP when I use my mobile to connect. I get attempted connections to my BI server all the time from outside addresses from China, Netherlands, even Chicago that are not mine. If you are worried about it though, just close off the ports in your router to your DVR and run a VPN to gain access to it.
I setup my VPN in my ac87u router. Not sure how to proceed from there.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
now you configure your mobile devices to have a VPN Connection to your router when they are away-from home.. there are VPN Clients built into all smartphones, go look at security settings.

5string

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
now you configure your mobile devices to have a VPN Connection to your router when they are away-from home.. there are VPN Clients built into all smartphones, go look at security settings.
I will check this out when I get back home. I see the settings menu, but need to sit in front of the router screen I think.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just like @nayr said - enable your device to use the vpn settings you established in your router for when you are away from home. Once you have the VPN connection established, use your mobile device as if it were on the home wifi.

Last edited by a moderator: