Remote Desktop problems/issues

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
This is on my BI machine but it's not related to BI.

Fresh built machine with Win10 x64 1809.

Install the required VC 2013 library files, both x86 and x64, then installed BI. Installed the K-Lite codec standard pack and then configured the device to not pause on errors during boot as I want to use it without a keyboard or mouse plugged in. Also set the BIOS to boot on power loss.

I then played around with BI using a locally connected screen, keyboard and mouse. Eventually I unplugged these and started accessing the system using Remote Desktop which all works fine.

Yesterday evening I plugged a screen, keyboard and mouse in and booted the system, I get output on the screen, but the mouse and keyboard no longer do anything but as the system boots I can use both the mouse and keyboard in the BIOS?

I can still remote in with no issues. I've not seen anything like this before, it's almost as if the system thinks that somebody is already remoted in and therefore disables the mouse and keyboard.

Has anybody seen anything like this before and more inportantly how do I fix it? I'm going to reset all the BIOS settings back to default tonight but as a last ditch can rebuild it from scratch which I might have to do?

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
I've seen something like this before, once. Basically, the list of USB devices Windows keeps got corrupted somehow. There's a process to wipe it and let it rebuild.

In the meantime try this: with the system booted into windows (so, presumably you are in front of it live, with a nonfunctional mouse and keyboard), move the mouse/keyboard to NEW USB ports, on a different header. So, if they were plugged in the back, move 'em to the front. Or vice versa. See if that does anything. The corrupt USB device list thing sometimes lets you plug the devices into different ports; it thinks they are new non-corrupt devices.

It's also very remotely possible that something is wrong with the physical USB port, like maybe the cable header on the MB and the cable that plugs into it have become disconnected/loose or something. I've seen this when moving computers around, if the cable wasn't seated properly to begin with.

Good luck. Keep us posted. I'm always interested in freaky things like this.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
I've been having problems with remote desktop too but mine is different although I am also on 1809 x64. I had posted on here about it and 1 person responded that had an issue different than your issue or mine. With mine if I minimize the rdp session and then go back and maximize it I get a black screen and have to restart the session to get it to work. I think I read somewhere that a recent update was supposed to fix some rdp issue on some vpn connection which doesn't apply to me (I'm just using it on my lan) but maybe they broke some other things in the process.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Too late, I tried a few thing like removing the USB ports, keyboard and mouse from within device manager but nothing fixed it so I trashed it and rebuilt it.

Installed the VC++ libraries, then let it do its update and then finally reinstalled BI.

This time I didn’t install the k-lite codec pack but did install RDPWrap which reconfigures windows to allow multiple RDP sessions so you can still logon from the desktop whilst somebody else is connected.

So far it has been behaving itself.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Too late, I tried a few thing like removing the USB ports, keyboard and mouse from within device manager but nothing fixed it so I trashed it and rebuilt it.

Installed the VC++ libraries, then let it do its update and then finally reinstalled BI.

This time I didn’t install the k-lite codec pack but did install RDPWrap which reconfigures windows to allow multiple RDP sessions so you can still logon from the desktop whilst somebody else is connected.

So far it has been behaving itself.
Link to RDPWrap? I used to use a hack that did similar things from the old "missing remote" site for XP and Windows 7.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Sorry, should have included it my post above :) It does display some text along the lines of a file isn't at the expected version but seems to install and work. I suspect with 1809 the main terminal service library files have changed versions?

I downloaded the zip and then just ran the command file to install.

stascorp/rdpwrap