Reliable sub $1k NVR, 16-ch

MattCam

n3wb
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a sub $1k 16-channel NVR that is reliable and has good remote access (LAN) capabilities? I'm looking for an appliance that boots from internal flash (won't be dead if the hard disk fails) and does not need constant attention, set-it and forget-it type of thing, no windows installations to look after. It only needs a single ethernet port, more are optional.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
it is recommended that the NVR be from the same manufacture as the cameras. Mixing manufactures of NVR and cameras will cause a loss of camera features at the NVR. This is particular true with cameras that have AI features.

MattCam

n3wb
Reaction score
it is recommended that the NVR be from the same manufacture as the cameras. Mixing manufactures of NVR and cameras will cause a loss of camera features at the NVR. This is particular true with cameras that have AI features.
I've got a mix of cameras from 3 different brands so matching them all isn't realistic at this time. I was able to get them all working with my current NVR, however my current NVR relies on Adobe Flash for remote access so it's basically obsolete, which is why I'm shopping for a new one.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would encourage you to not discount the windows computer option so quickly.

An NVR is a stripped down computer with limited CPU capacity. Many here run a dedicated computer and Blue Iris and since the computer is dedicated just to serve Blue Iris, the Windows updates are turned off as are the Blue Iris updates and can then run as a "set-it up and forget about" type system. Systems work just fine with no issues. At that point it is basically an NVR but more secure and less prone to vulnerabilities as NVRs rarely have firmware updates. The system boots up from a small SSD drive and then the actual data resides on a separate hard drive. Entire system can be had for well less than $1k.

Now many of us here do continue to tinker with our systems and update Blue Iris and that sort of thing, but we have people here that are doing that with a NVR too.

MattCam

n3wb
Reaction score
Part of the challenge is time. Between working full time, plus running a business separate from my main job, and wife and kid, there just isn't time to source and build. I need a solution that comes out of a box ready to turn on and run. I'm a computer engineer by trade and built my main work computer so I'm familiar with that option, but just don't have the time to dedicate to it right now. Security is a concern, so my solution at the moment is to disable all WAN access by the cameras and NVR plus run the camera equipment on its own network, isolated from everything else by a firewall (Untangle appliance), so if they happen to get into a camera or NVR, they're going to have more difficulty jumping from there to anything more important.

iwanttosee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Adobe Flash for remote access so it's basically obsolete
If your NVR uses a browser then you can enable flash by creating/editing a mmc.cfg

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Part of the challenge is time. Between working full time, plus running a business separate from my main job, and wife and kid, there just isn't time to source and build. I need a solution that comes out of a box ready to turn on and run. I'm a computer engineer by trade and built my main work computer so I'm familiar with that option, but just don't have the time to dedicate to it right now. Security is a concern, so my solution at the moment is to disable all WAN access by the cameras and NVR plus run the camera equipment on its own network, isolated from everything else by a firewall (Untangle appliance), so if they happen to get into a camera or NVR, they're going to have more difficulty jumping from there to anything more important.
Hi @MattCam,

One option is to have one of the members who does setup Blue Iris PCs to remotely help you get it setup for a reasonable consulting fee.

I know we have a few who do that if you need help.

MattCam

n3wb
Reaction score
If your NVR uses a browser then you can enable flash by creating/editing a mmc.cfg

Excellent, thank you for this! You wouldn't happen to have a working mms.cfg would you? I've tired building one for IE and for Chrome, and in both cases the error message goes away but the flash player doesn't actually load. It looks like the latest version of Chrome removed the ability to load flash this way, but for IE hopefully I'm just missing something.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a sub $1k 16-channel NVR that is reliable and has good remote access (LAN) capabilities? I'm looking for an appliance that boots from internal flash (won't be dead if the hard disk fails) and does not need constant attention, set-it and forget-it type of thing, no windows installations to look after. It only needs a single ethernet port, more are optional.
No need to build for BI. For it's basic use, it's no harder to setup than an NVR.
Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris | IP Cam Talk

If you really want an NVR, then the Dahua 5000 series.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I run BI on Windows PC and the OS once setup and configured just looks after itself, admittedly there have been 2-3 blips with this over 2+ years I’ve had associated with driver updates but I’ve now stopped those as well so the box just runs.

For BI you could set it up and forget about it but I’m a tinkerer at heart so am always playing around with it but could well equally leave it alone and just use the mobile app to monitor alerts and clips.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You dont need to source and build anything. You simply buy a pc.
Remember that an NVR requires setup as well, its not plug and play.