Release 4.2.3.5 x64 (Video Playback Issues)

Tiger_Claw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

It's been quite awhile since I last posted inside here, but the time has come once again for user feedback.

I recently upgraded Blue Iris from the older version 3 to the newer version 4. I even upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 prior to the update to help ensure a smooth transition. The upgrade went pretty good, but I noticed (right away) that playback of recorded video wasn't as smooth and perfected when using version 3.

Below are my observations...

Daytime / Color

Recorded playback at 1x speed seems a little too fast and not as smooth as it was in version 3.

Nighttime / B&W

Recorded playback at 1x speed appears even faster moving than during daytime playback, but even worse... Recorded video also freezes while playback bar continues moving. It appears to take almost ¼ of the playback distance (indicator bar) not actual recorded video to progress before further recorded video plays. It does this on all my cameras during their B/W switch to night mode. It's terrible.

A good example of this would be watching movement during playback freeze for about 5 sec while the playback indicator keeps moving and then seeing the continuation of movement with additional freezes. These freezes don't occur during normal daytime/color playback.

It's important to note that I've been using BI ver 3 and Windows 7 without any such problems. This issue really has me baffled as to what might be the cause. I uninstalled and re-installed ver 4 again today. The daytime video all seem to be recording and playing back ok, but still a wee bit fast at 1x. I won't be able to check night playback until later today.

Does anyone have any thoughts at what might cause my recorded nighttime video to freeze as noted above?

TiGeR

Last edited by a moderator:

Tiger_Claw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What model cameras are you using?
Below is what I'm using, but please keep in mind that BI ver. 3 was working fabulous with them. No issues at all and I imported the reg files, so no changes were made. This is why I strongly feel that ver. 4 needs a little added love. :joyous:

Zmodo 720P sPOE bullet camera(s) connected to NVR. I also have a standalone camera (different model) connected to a POE injector. It also suffers the same issues.

TiGeR

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Below is what I'm using, but please keep in mind that BI ver. 3 was working fabulous with them. No issues at all and I imported the reg files, so no changes were made. This is why I strongly feel that ver. 4 needs a little added love. :joyous:

Zmodo 720P sPOE bullet camera(s) connected to NVR. I also have a standalone camera (different model) connected to a POE injector. It also suffers the same issues.

TiGeR
You need to report your issue to the developer. In the interim, try unchecking use rtsp time code in the video configure tab.
Also there were lots of changes made after 4.1.9 so you may just want to revert back to that version until this is resolved. Remember if you dont report it its not going to get fixed.
Here is a link to 4.1.9 https://www.dropbox.com/s/nvakzdl6h5kgel3/update64 (74).exe?dl=0

Tiger_Claw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You need to report your issue to the developer. In the interim, try unchecking use rtsp time code in the video configure tab.
Also there were lots of changes made after 4.1.9 so you may just want to revert back to that version until this is resolved. Remember if you dont report it its not going to get fixed.
Here is a link to 4.1.9 https://www.dropbox.com/s/nvakzdl6h5kgel3/update64 (74).exe?dl=0
Ok...

Within minutes following the B/W mode change I again tested. Same terrible results. When the camera(s) go B/W the recording playback takes a MAJOR dive.

I took your advice and changed a handful of cameras. From the camera(s) properties/video/configure section. I de-selected the "Use RTSP/stream timecode" option. Well guess what? It seems to have corrected the problem :D.

Would you consider this the permanent fix or is there a reason why the option was selected by default? What's crazy is the video actually looks to be playing back at a true 1x speed now. Will this be ok during the Daylight mode?

TiGeR

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok...

Within minutes following the B/W mode change I again tested. Same terrible results. When the camera(s) go B/W the recording playback takes a MAJOR dive.

I took your advice and changed a handful of cameras. From the camera(s) properties/video/configure section I de-selected the "Use RTSP/stream timecode" option. Well guess what? It seems to have corrected the problem.

Would you consider this the permanent fix or is there a reason why the option was selected by default? What's crazy is the video actually looks to be playing back at a true 1x speed now. Will this be ok during the Daylight mode?

TiGeR
Its should work fine now...I would still ask ken what he thinks and maybe he can make a change so others dont have this issue.
The option works fine for 99 percent of cameras...some cause issues...I dont know if its related to any recent changes in BI so thats why it needs to be reported..

Tiger_Claw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey! No problem.

I'll send Ken an email on Monday. I'm no guru to this camera tech stuff, but I sure ass hell LOVE Blue Iris. The only reason I upgraded was because version 3 no longer supported iOS app notification alerts. I was so bummed out. I loved Windows 7, but I depend on BI for my video surveillance needs and BI recommends Win 10.

It's find of funny. I was grinding my teeth after hitting that Win 10 update button. I got a really good laugh from one of its pop up notices saying it will take awhile and relax. Relax... ARE YOU F'ING KIDDIN ME :mad-new: .

Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones, but the Win 10 upgrade went extremely smooth. I'm very happy with it and would now recommend it to friends.

Hey... Thanks so much @fenderman for helping me out. I truly appreciate it. If Ken provides any useful feedback I'll share it with you all.

TiGeR

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ken responds to emails over the weekend so you dont have to wait...
BI4 has many improvements over bi3, including the timeline and security updates, more adveanced motion detection and hardware acceleration coming soon..so its a worthwhile upgrade...
Note that BI4 does not require windows 10...it runs fine on 7...
I personally like 10 as well and its more secure...I would recommend a clean install of the OS. Im not a fan of in place upgrades for VMS machines.
I have used the in place upgrade for a few work machines and it seems ok, though for a security vms, I would do a clean install...you can use the microsoft media creation tool to create usb media.

Tiger_Claw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi @fenderman

I sent Ken a detailed email.

I was informed by BI support (prior to purchasing version 4) that Windows 7 wasn't recommended. Apparently they have had some memory leak issues. Windows 8 was the next best choice, but Windows 10 was preferred. That more/less resulted in a no brainer decision on my end.

It will be interesting to see what Ken has to say about that RTSP Timecode option. I again tested all my cameras with movement and the playback worked great.

Tiger

chaycock

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
>Use RTSP/stream timecode

What exactly does that option do? What are the use cases for when you would or would not want to use it?

Thanks,
Carlton