Rekor recording plate more than once

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't monitor mine for missing plates either but I know what my average plates a day that goes by and I'm still on pretty much on target as far as that number goes. I guess I need to start taking a closer look just in case I'm missing some.

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Slightly off on a tangent but I tried disabling motion detection earlier in the Rekor agent, it then assumes a vehicle is passing through the scene constantly. I will experiment to see if this reduces spikes at all on the CPU. Because my CPU is a bit on the old side I get a good idea of any benefits, doesn't take much to spike it to high 90% region during multiple camera events. Will soon know, I would rather have constant CPU usage at 40-50% without huge spikes which then overload it.

Initial testing actually looks promising, I would say an improvement in CPU usage over having motion detection enabled, less spiking and only slightly more continuous CPU usage by Rekor. I would assume this also means less chance of missing a plate if the motion detection failed in Rekor, possibly at night if you were running very high shutter, I have seen this before. I will continue testing today and see how it works out.

It would appear that my Deepstack is also working better with this setting, presumably leaving a bit more wiggle room within the CPU, one of my cameras would likely miss 50% of Ai events due to location/scene, it is closer to 100% with Rekor motion disabled. This setting is probably irrelevant for people with more powerful or newer processors, with my old i5 4th gen and 11 cameras, not so much :lol:

Last edited:

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Slightly off on a tangent but I tried disabling motion detection earlier in the Rekor agent, it then assumes a vehicle is passing through the scene constantly. I will experiment to see if this reduces spikes at all on the CPU. Because my CPU is a bit on the old side I get a good idea of any benefits, doesn't take much to spike it to high 90% region during multiple camera events. Will soon know, I would rather have constant CPU usage at 40-50% without huge spikes which then overload it.

Initial testing actually looks promising, I would say an improvement in CPU usage over having motion detection enabled, less spiking and only slightly more continuous CPU usage by Rekor. I would assume this also means less chance of missing a plate if the motion detection failed in Rekor, possibly at night if you were running very high shutter, I have seen this before. I will continue testing today and see how it works out.

It would appear that my Deepstack is also working better with this setting, presumably leaving a bit more wiggle room within the CPU, one of my cameras would likely miss 50% of Ai events due to location/scene, it is closer to 100% with Rekor motion disabled. This setting is probably irrelevant for people with more powerful or newer processors, with my old i5 4th gen and 11 cameras, not so much :lol:
Definitely keep us posted on the results. The docs say leaving it on "improves efficiency". Whatever that means.

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Definitely keep us posted on the results. The docs say leaving it on "improves efficiency". Whatever that means.
Interesting, so far I am seeing better results with it off, all be it I am using a detection mask which means around 30-40% of the scene is active in Rekor's eyes? in theory. The detection mask appears to work still with the motion turned off, ie Rekor starts tracking the plate as it enters the unmasked area and not before.

The real test could be at night, since the custom model in Deepstack will also be running, normally it puts the CPU under more stress. Currently though I am seeing less spikes on the CPU with Rekor motion off and GPU enabled. CPU usage at 'Idle' is probably up to 50% when normally it idles around low 40's, but it seems to smooth out the CPU peak which appears to be high 80's, low 90's where before it could max out for a second or two. There are times now when I expect it to jump into the 80-90% range but it stays below 70% so generally I'd say looking more favourable so far.

I wonder if the efficiency is improved when using CPU only, ie it doesn't tie up the processor until an event. Or, if they mean accuracy should be improved, I'd say the former but testing will tell in the real world.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wow that is crazy about the motion detection! Please keep us posted.

I noticed a similar situation with trying to use Rekor with a GPU - they CPU% usage shot up a lot but then leveled off, which was shocking to me because one would think offloading the the GPU would lower the CPU. In my case the GPU kept losing signal so I am not using it for Rekor.

But if turning motion detection off would result in a slightly higher CPU usage but then not the spikes to 100% on motion, that is certainly something worth considering.

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Wow that is crazy about the motion detection! Please keep us posted.

I noticed a similar situation with trying to use Rekor with a GPU - they CPU% usage shot up a lot but then leveled off, which was shocking to me because one would think offloading the the GPU would lower the CPU. In my case the GPU kept losing signal so I am not using it for Rekor.

But if turning motion detection off would result in a slightly higher CPU usage but then not the spikes to 100% on motion, that is certainly something worth considering.
I would suggest trying it, easy enough to turn off, I am running GPU with Rekor and from my tests today in daylight at least I am seeing less spiking and reduced load on CPU.

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Very initial night testing with custom Deepstack model is showing similar results, ie less spiking with motion in Rekor agent disabled. For reference I am using a 1660 GPU for Deepstack and processor is i5 4th gen, 16GB RAM.

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Interestingly I think Rekor is using less CPU during idle at night with motion disabled, still catching plates like normal even in challenging light/dark. Had a couple of CPU spikes in the low 90's but I believe less so, certainly daytime is better.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for doing this! It is kinda opposite from what one would think. I guess motion start up takes so much CPU that just letting it run is better.

I will give that a try as well and report back.

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks for doing this! It is kinda opposite from what one would think. I guess motion start up takes so much CPU that just letting it run is better.

I will give that a try as well and report back.
That is my take on it, similar to letting Rekor use GPU, it basically loads up the CPU to try and smooth out the spikes when they communicate. I am getting some higher spikes now it is dark but not too bad, during the day it was a noticeable improvement for me.

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
Slightly off on a tangent but I tried disabling motion detection earlier in the Rekor agent, it then assumes a vehicle is passing through the scene constantly. . . .
Where do I find 'motion detection' in the client? Update: Ah, found it in the very front, not in the advanced settings.