Rekor recording plate more than once

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
OK, good problem to have I know :lol: but on a section of road that my camera is looking down I am getting plates recorded 2-3 times rather than just once. The camera will grab maybe 30-40 frames, I played with the stickiness settings and looked a park car settings in Rekor. Just wondered if others had come across this and found a suitable solution in settings. If I mask areas I can reduce and almost eliminate this to a degree, this means missing maybe a taller vehicle which might have the plate mounted higher up.

Like I say it's not really a big deal, just puts the figures for the day out of whack, and makes it look like a vehicle has been around more.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Without seeing the scene is tough to troubleshoot. I don't have this issue but cars are only in my FOV for less than a second. I have a very tight corridor they have to pass through:
3MA9T4W4589NVG27S28IHI7ZF665RF0U1B3BVZF0-254963574-1636054548591.jpg

Sounds like Openalpr is losing the car and they regaining it again. May want to email Rekor and ask as I've not experienced it before.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think they have been messing with things as I never had that problem and now it is doing that same thing. And my other LPR I had a mask on and it started missing 2/3rds of the plates.

As you can see, this is not a crazy mask, but as soon as I deleted it, the camera started picking up every car again.

1636114901616.png

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
OK, interesting, I can mask to work around it, I did ping them an email to see if they have a magic setting to change somewhere. My camera looks directly down the road at around 2.5 metres/8 feet off the ground, basically just out of reach from the ground so quite low. Perfect line of sight for the job but it does catch a lot of frames.

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Without seeing the scene is tough to troubleshoot. I don't have this issue but cars are only in my FOV for less than a second. I have a very tight corridor they have to pass through:
View attachment 107409

Sounds like Openalpr is losing the car and they regaining it again. May want to email Rekor and ask as I've not experienced it before.
Indeed, with a FOV like yours it won't be a problem, I have almost set mine up too well on this occasion :lmao: I decided this time I would place it as best I could - it looks at the cars almost head on at around 2.5 metres or 8 feet from the ground. Still, a good problem to have but maybe Rekor will have some ideas, I emailed them earlier.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would encourage you to set the mask up and then watch it for a bit and make sure it is recording plates.

My screenshot above, I had 5 vehicles go by and it didn't pick one up - the one you see thought it didn't have a plate, but the other cars went right through it. I turned on all the features and showed that it found motion, found the plate, but didn't log the plate.

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I would encourage you to set the mask up and then watch it for a bit and make sure it is recording plates.

My screenshot above, I had 5 vehicles go by and it didn't pick one up - the one you see thought it didn't have a plate, but the other cars went right through it. I turned on all the features and showed that it found motion, found the plate, but didn't log the plate.
Thanks, the mask does help, I just need to be careful since the mask is not only for motion but literally dictates when it stops tracking the plate :wtf:

We could almost use a motion mask and a separate activation/read mask.

On a side note, Rekor's ability to grab plates day or night is quite impressive, amazing in some cases!

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Mine is aimed just before a stop sign. Occasionally folks stop before the stop sign, I guess to check their phone, clean the car, I don't know, and wait for 10+ seconds. It will get a second plate when they start moving again. This is a one way street aimed in the direction of travel, so I am getting the back end of the cars.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks, the mask does help, I just need to be careful since the mask is not only for motion but literally dictates when it stops tracking the plate :wtf:

We could almost use a motion mask and a separate activation/read mask.

On a side note, Rekor's ability to grab plates day or night is quite impressive, amazing in some cases!
It does have an option to include an inclusion mask.

Hopefully they get back to you and say something like they changed the algorithm and we just need to change a number in the agent to stop that. Because I am getting parked cars now way more than I ever did.

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Have you both tried adjusting the parked car setting in Rekor? in theory that is designed I assume to eliminate issues at stop signs, lights etc. Although I think getting a plate twice is better than none at all of course, tough one really.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It has worked fine before, so I think they changed something but haven't rolled out the new parameter settings, so like you said I would rather have twice than none at all, so I haven't played with it.

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It has worked fine before, so I think they changed something but haven't rolled out the new parameter settings, so like you said I would rather have twice than none at all, so I haven't played with it.
Fair comment, I will let you know if they tell me anything useful via email, does sound a bit odd though no doubt.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Where is this "parked car" setting you guys are talking about? Running the Ubuntu agent.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, it would be in the .conf file.

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I don't have any GUI for agent since it's the Linux version. Its all CLI/config file driven. I'm guessing that could be put in my alprd.conf file though... I'll have to read through the docs.
That is correct I believe, is this finally a plus point for Windows based Rekor :lmao::lmao: we have to take what we can you know :thumb:

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I think the parked car settings might only be good for literally parked cars, the stickiness setting could be more relevant...maybe?

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
I haven't noticed any missing plates, but thanks for making me sit and watch for every car that goes by for a good few hours, really look forward to it :thumb:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I noticed in 5 minutes after I realized that my one camera was missing a lot of plates.

Between the two cameras, the split is fairly even of the total and they were off a lot, so I started investigating.