recording in BI getting pixelated videos

Reaction score
Greetings all,
Been having some issues when recording via BI, This pixelation happens to all my camera's, however when the camera records the pixelation goes away, I have tried all different kind of settings, here are my specs: CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz [26%], with 64 gig of Ram. This is new to me, so I dont know anything about the QuickSync for hardware decoding, or how to make sure its enabled. I have uploaded my test video on you tube at this address: please check it out and tell me what setting I need to look at, pulling my hair out on this one. Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,
Brad

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
This pixelation happens to all my camera's, however when the camera records the pixelation goes away, I have tried all different kind of settings
What do you mean "when the camera records the pixelation goes away"? You just uploaded a recording with pixelation, which directly contradicts what you just said.

Reaction score
The video you saw was recorded via BI, what I mean to say is that If the camera records (from its internal hardware) saves the file, BI is shutdown and off, the pixelation goes away, in conclusion I was proving that BI is causing the issue and I need to find out where. Is this clear as mud now!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Does the same pixelation appear in live view in Blue Iris?

It seems like your iframe interval on the camera is too short, and the bit rate too low.

Since you say this stuff is new to you, here are some Blue Iris settings that are usually good to change:

1) Hardware acceleration

Don't do this if your CPU does not support Intel Quick Sync. i7-6700 does, so you're fine. Do not choose the VideoPostProc option. Set this, then restart Blue Iris for it to take effect. If you run Blue Iris as a service, you will need to stop the service, then start it again (or just restart the computer if that is over your head).

2) Direct-to-disc recording

Open the properties of each of your cameras, and set this on all of them.

Be aware that the camera needs to embed its own timestamp. When you use direct to disk recording, Blue Iris can't overlay a timestamp on the video.

3) Disable hardware acceleration for clip playback

Hardware accelerated clip playback is a bit buggy, and not very useful anyway. In each camera's properties, uncheck this box:

Reaction score
Thank you very much, I made the changes and will give it a bit before I can view the recorded video's. The answer is NO I dont get the pixelation on live viewing, but I did change all my camera to direct to disk. mine was not setup like that. I have BI for years, but I just upgraded to the newest CPU and I dont understand this hardware quick sync stuff. But in any case I did make the changes and will let you know when I get back from the store. Thanks again!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, if only Blue Iris's recordings were showing the pixelation, then that just means BI was recompressing to too low of a bit rate. Now that you are using direct to disk, there will not be any quality loss when recording through BI.

Reaction score
Working like a champ, thank you very much! but I lost my date and time stamp....is there a way to get that back?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Working like a champ, thank you very much! but I lost my date and time stamp....is there a way to get that back?
You need to use the cameras own overlay. That is how NVR's work. You can add the timestamp when you export if you record to BVR format. You can run the timesynctool on your pc to sync all you cams clocks..

Billn

n3wb
Reaction score
@bp2008...excellent step-by-step tutorial. I nominate that post to be included in a future BI FAQ. Possibly edited and maintained within ipcamtalk so we don't flood the developer with email & support questions????

Thanks for taking the time to document with image snapshots.