Recording and Backup Settings Recommendation

its

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi

What's the recommended recording / backup settings?

Basically I have 2 cameras recording 24/7 (1280 x 720 at 15fps) and 2 cameras only on motion.. Running on NUC.. The main dump is on D:\ which has 150GB (set 100GB for Blue Iris) and once that is filling up transfer it to my NAS with 450GB capacity.

Previously I had set it to convert to MP4 when transferring from D:\ to NAS which I think was basically running the NUC on 100% due to conversion perhaps.

But now i have turned if off.. But I am guessing it will not store long history due to file size? What size would i get for the above setting?

What would I get out of this setup and what is the recommendation? My goal is to if possible not task the NUC to hard and try to store a history as long as possible (30 days or 15 days but can compromise on that) with decent quality just in case if i ever need to use it legally

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi

What's the recommended recording / backup settings?

Basically I have 2 cameras recording 24/7 (1280 x 720 at 15fps) and 2 cameras only on motion.. Running on NUC.. The main dump is on D:\ which has 150GB (set 100GB for Blue Iris) and once that is filling up transfer it to my NAS with 450GB capacity.

Previously I had set it to convert to MP4 when transferring from D:\ to NAS which I think was basically running the NUC on 100% due to conversion perhaps.

But now i have turned if off.. But I am guessing it will not store long history due to file size? What size would i get for the above setting?

What would I get out of this setup and what is the recommendation? My goal is to if possible not task the NUC to hard and try to store a history as long as possible (30 days or 15 days but can compromise on that) with decent quality just in case if i ever need to use it legally
The newest versions of BI can convert bvr to mp4 without rencoding...see the whats new section. The storage capacity is simply dependent on the bitrate x record time.

its

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The newest versions of BI can convert bvr to mp4 without rencoding...see the whats new section. The storage capacity is simply dependent on the bitrate x record time.
Thanks.. So I just keep the queue for convert on and choose mp4?

What will be my bitrate based on config above?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks.. So I just keep the queue for convert on and choose mp4?

What will be my bitrate based on config above?
You bitrate will depend on what you set in the camera...and if you set it to constant vs variable.

its

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So currently BI is generating 43GB of mp4 file for 12 hr of data / camera.

Settings in BI for Video of the camera

BlueIris.JPG

Settings on my Hikvision Camera directly
camera.JPG

Recording Settings in BI
Config.jpg

File generated by BI (43GB in Size)
Saved File.JPG

I am guessing the bitrate and quality is quite high atm and not sure what all / where to tweak?

How can I optimize this to get

• a smaller file for storage (have capacity of 450-500 GB for 2 cameras recording 24/7 - would like to reach 10-30 days if possible)
  • ok / good enough quality?
  • Any other tweaks recommended to make it better

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
*bump*

any help guys ?
Set the video quality lower and see if it lowers the bitrate...based on the file info your file size is larger than the max bitrate set. In blue iris are your cameras set to record direct to disk?

its

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No its not.. Should I?

record.JPG

Where should I set the video quality as you mentioned?

its

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks .. after doing that the file is showing 3930 kbps bitrate.. which I guess is because of the max bitrate of 4096 set in camera directly?? .. file size has halved as expected.

in camera properties says 500kB/s (guessing 3930 / 8) ?

So what can I further drop it to without having much loss in the camera to increase storage time? What would be the recommendation ?

Is there any compression happening to save space when i have set output to mp4 ? Or should I reencode it?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes. Do not reencode.. It it's a cpu hog.. You can try lowering the bitrate to 2048... Keep in mind that storage is cheap... Best solution is to buy a bigger drive.

its

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for that.. is the out mp4 file same size as BVR file or some compression % takes place ? Just out of curiosity how much space is saved by output to mp4 ?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Nothing is saved.. Mp4 is simply a container... You can reencode at a lower bitrate but you will jack cpu usage and lose quality...