Record at higher quality when alerted

Jim Martin

n3wb
Reaction score
NEWB here, been trying to find software/hardware that is worth a damn to work with my mid-level hikvision setup. Started with SS, then Hikvision NVR, now trying Blue Iris because all the others fell short in certain areas. Some things with blue iris seem limiting for my more advanced PTZ hikvision dark fighter cam but can probably get passed it. Couple questions:

1) Is there a way to tell BI to record at a higher setting when alert is detected? I have PIR's hooked up to my alarm inputs on the HKs and I'm setup to record continually at HD 15fps and want to bump this to 30fps CBR when motion detected by PIR

2) The SS interfaces with DIO modules like the ADAM 6053 and since I have one I would like to use it instead of buying another one, the sealevel. Anyone know if the ADAM is compatible with BI?

3) My HK PTZ has 11 alarm outputs, is there anyway to configure BI to do different actions depending on which alarm input is fired on the HK?

4) Is there a better way to get motion from one camera to trigger a preset on another cam? For example, when the PIR on my front door is triggered I want the PTZ cam on the corner of the house to zoom in and get a clear image of the persons face when they are leaving the door area. I read a post on here and found a way to do this by sending an http request to the webserver and have it call a cameras preset. Is this the way it should be done? Seems like a very common need and the way to do it seems like a hack.

Thanks for the help, hoping BI will be the NVR for me as I don't really want to pay 500 + $150 per cam to get milestone xprotect pro.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1. This will just fuck up your recordings, variable frame rates are not part of any video codec.. it'd have to close out that file and open another resulting in likely missed data when this happens.

Jim Martin

n3wb
Reaction score
They are able to do it on the SS and HK NVR. Guess I will just record at 15 fps full time.

Reaction score
NEWB here, been trying to find software/hardware that is worth a damn to work with my mid-level hikvision setup. Started with SS, then Hikvision NVR, now trying Blue Iris because all the others fell short in certain areas. Some things with blue iris seem limiting for my more advanced PTZ hikvision dark fighter cam but can probably get passed it. Couple questions:

1) Is there a way to tell BI to record at a higher setting when alert is detected? I have PIR's hooked up to my alarm inputs on the HKs and I'm setup to record continually at HD 15fps and want to bump this to 30fps CBR when motion detected by PIR

2) The SS interfaces with DIO modules like the ADAM 6053 and since I have one I would like to use it instead of buying another one, the sealevel. Anyone know if the ADAM is compatible with BI?

3) My HK PTZ has 11 alarm outputs, is there anyway to configure BI to do different actions depending on which alarm input is fired on the HK?

4) Is there a better way to get motion from one camera to trigger a preset on another cam? For example, when the PIR on my front door is triggered I want the PTZ cam on the corner of the house to zoom in and get a clear image of the persons face when they are leaving the door area. I read a post on here and found a way to do this by sending an http request to the webserver and have it call a cameras preset. Is this the way it should be done? Seems like a very common need and the way to do it seems like a hack.

Thanks for the help, hoping BI will be the NVR for me as I don't really want to pay 500 + $150 per cam to get milestone xprotect pro.
Jim.
Here are some thoughts on your 4 questions. (Days late and $$ short)
Question 1. BI allows a camera to be "added" multiple times. Many IP cameras have TWO video streams. Configure one to provide the frame rate and resolution for continuous record and the other to the frame rate and resolution for the triggered record. Enter the camera into BI twice, once for each stream. Set the camera for the triggered record to start recording a few seconds before the trigger. This will provide two separate recordings, one continuous and the other only the triggered events - which BI can be set to automatically combine into one long video.
Question 2. I'm not familiar with the ADAM or SEALEVEL units.
Question 3. Add the camera multiple times with the ALERTS for each configured for its associated alarm input (I'm assuming the HKs will send a DIO signal over the network). Use whichever of the two streams you'd like. Maybe without recording.
Question 4. Your solution sounds good to me, but you could also add a separate $50 camera with a $10 long lens (12, 16, 25 mm) aimed where you want to pick up the face, create a camera group(s), and have it triggered from other camera(s) in the same group(s).
If I'm not correct on any of these, I'm sure someone will add a correction. :)