recomondations for a trail cam?

JayBart

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
looking for something with solar and 4g. This is for a piece of property I picked up -- undeveloped, no power, so looking for something I guess that hunters use? I can get out there a few times a month, so maybe something that'll last a week or two with solar., Not ring.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
looking for something with solar and 4g. This is for a piece of property I picked up -- undeveloped, no power, so looking for something I guess that hunters use? I can get out there a few times a month, so maybe something that'll last a week or two with solar., Not ring.
These cameras sleep most of the time. They have a motion sensor that triggers the camera. Often they record a series of images rather than video and only upload the video several times a day. You may be able to change these settings and record video or upload immediately when it's triggered, but you do so at the expense of battery life. Typically these cameras upload a low resolution image, then you have to go in and select images that you want the full resolution image of. With a set of lithium AA batteries (which doubled in price over the last couple years) and modest settings, you may be able to get up to 6 months of battery. You'll capture the wind more often than anything of interest.

I've used an older moultrie 4G camera for a few years but, the camera is failing (IR filter gets stuck) so I'm evaluating options (their new model is slow to trigger). I don't have a real strong favorite, but am kind of leaning towards the Browning Defender Pro Scout Max Extreme HD. I think my old Moultire takes better pics and has a better app. The Reconyx HyperFire 2 Cellular Covert IR Camera is well regarded but very expensive.

I'd recommend cameras watching cameras, they don't all need to be cellular (picture a triangle). Some more discrete than others, some higher.

I also have an older higher end non-cellular StealthCam that I really like and some others that are garbage / retired. I may even still have an ancient one that used film in a box somewhere.

Here are some reviews, but you have to take them with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

Aaron222

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I’m looking to do something similar to a trail cam app with livestream.
Can someone advise me on how it is possible to live stream multiple IP cameras onto a private website and app.

The cameras will be at different locations many miles apart, they will have to be LTE, solar/battery back up powered, no Poe. They do not need to be high quality resolution and no audio need. Just basic video quality 24/7 live video stream accessible from my private website and app.

Is this possible and if so how?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,

I’m looking to do something similar to a trail cam app with livestream.
Can someone advise me on how it is possible to live stream multiple IP cameras onto a private website and app.

The cameras will be at different locations many miles apart, they will have to be LTE, solar/battery back up powered, no Poe. They do not need to be high quality resolution and no audio need. Just basic video quality 24/7 live video stream accessible from my private website and app.

Is this possible and if so how?
It's technically possible, but practically pretty challenging and expensive. It would be better to keep this discussion in one of your other threads.

You'd need some type of cloud based service to do this on a website, that basically serves as a cache / proxy or to stream to something like youtube. This is necessary, because otherwise every concurrent user would increase the bandwidth. You also mentioned controlling a PTZ in another thread which further complicates things things and has potential for abuse and even abuse that could damage the camera. Almost all cellular providers in the USA have a clause in their terms of service against using their network for a 24-7 video livestream. The data would also get rather expensive.

It would be much easier to upload static images every 10+ minutes.

TRLcam

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm a dealer for Tactacam. Home - Tactacam

They have been a reliable game camera. Battery life is amazing and the monthly fee is $5.00 to view a thumbnail of motion generated images. The full size image remains on the camera SD card for later retrieval.

dsc7050

n3wb
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.