Recommended PC Setup for 50-60 IP cameras

ssa

n3wb
Reaction score

the "G designation on this list appears to coincide with quick sync/on chip graphics.
I'm curious if I can simply replace the CPU. It's a Lenovo, so I'm not sure if it is soldered onto the motherboard

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
A couple of these dudes would be a good start. If they havent shrunk the case. you can get 2-3 HDD's in it. Dell XPS 8930 i5-9400 Six Core / 16GB / 256GB SSD + 1TB / Win 10 Pro | eBay
You get Windows 10 pro installed. Nice. the older XPS 8900 with an i7 6700 has a roomy case with 3 HDD spots. Also has a standard ATX power connector so you can put in different PSU's and graphics, and what not....
I used to have 3 Dell XPS back in the early 2000's liked the case design for upgrades. should be as reliable as optiplex or Elitedesk as far as components go.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm curious if I can simply replace the CPU. It's a Lenovo, so I'm not sure if it is soldered onto the motherboard
You can put LGA1150 socket CPu's in it. the i7-4770( 4th Generation Intel Core series) runs in that machine. It has intel graphics in it. but your not going to run 25 30 camera's on it. I have 13 Camera's in a i7-3770 ( 3rd generation intelCore series) and it's just hanging on.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
@Flintstone61 Are you recording direct to disk and using sub streams? I'm running an i7-6700K with 15 cameras, say around 80MP/s, and it sits around 7%.
Yes. im running about 17% CPu, but the system struggles a little bit on video playback on certain camera's. choppy replay....It's maxed on Ram, maxed on CPu. Maxed out...I can probably run a couple more cams, but I need snappy video review. I have other tasks to perform in addition to security. I bought an i5-8500 HP elitedesk so I can add camera's. the analog system feeds to the Optiplex as well with Nightowl X software. that will put the CPU to 40-60%. but I can toggle that on and off, as the DVR records to its own drive. Writing to second drive seemed to help the system sluggishness a bit for video replay. So i can keep on keepin on, but I can't increase camera load much more.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
@Flintstone61 Are you recording direct to disk and using sub streams? I'm running an i7-6700K with 15 cameras, say around 80MP/s, and it sits around 7%.
your running a 6th gen cpu im on a 3rd Gen.....If this guy wants 50 camera's I'm thinkin 2 mchines to split up the load and the storage needs to at least 4 drives....
i7-6700's might work in a 2 machine setup right?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
In a dual system I think he could get away with a 5th generation. If it were me I'd go for the gusto and look for a 7th generation or newer just to have the headroom.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
In a dual system I think he could get away with a 5th generation. If it were me I'd go for the gusto and look for a 7th generation or newer just to have the headroom.
I forgot about the XPS series.....I was searching by CPU on ebay for various Cpu's to see what came up. I was happily surprised to see the XPS 8930 case opened up with 3-3.5 in. HDD bays available. I might have to keep the speedy energy efficient elite desk for myselfish self and get an XPS for work and throw big drives in it.....:)

ssa

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm a bit embarrassed but I figured it out. I was forcing the anamorphic size to a very high resolution on 6 cameras. I dropped it from 3840x2160 to 1920x1080 and my CPU usage went down almost 50%. Just saved myself a ton of money.

To figure it out I randomly disabled groups of cameras and realized one group of 6 out of 31 dramatically dropped my CPU usage. I compared it to the others and noticed the anamorphic settings were different.

Thank you everyone!

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
yes, get a newere syetm to grow into. add new cams and some of the old one to it, but keep the two systems running
Don't forget that you don't have to run everything from a single computer. You might find it better to split the system onto two computers. Odds are you will need more than one monitor to view all the feeds anyway, so to the end user they might not even know the difference.

The added benefit is that you have some redundancy built it. If one system goes down for some reason, the second system might still capture needed information.
one could even use 3 BI servers, with cameras striped across the machines such that any 2 of them collect and store all the feeds. (ie, each cam is pulled to 2 servers)...