Recommended PC Setup for 50-60 IP cameras

ssa

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all.

I have a business where I currently have about 35 IP cameras running. When I'm done with my build out I will have about 50-60 of them. I have 35 cameras running on a single Lenovo TS140 with an Intel Xeon E3-1225 v3 Quad Core Processor (8M Cache, 3.2 GHz) and 16GB of ram I purchased in 2015 running the latest Blue Iris Software. Recording is setup on motion and saved initially to the local PC drive and then off to a NAS after 30 days. The CPU is pinned to 100% at all times while my ram usage is just over 8GB. I've followed all the online message boards to setup the cameras and software to run as efficiently as possible but I am still pinned at 100% of my CPU usage.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a setup? Should I simply buy a new PC and split the cameras or is there another solution? I don't mind going to a rackmount server etc. Any input would be greatly appreciated, thank you all

ssa

n3wb
Reaction score
Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris | IP Cam Talk
Are you using the new Substream feature in BI?
I have not but after looking into it I'm not sure it is for me.

To ensure I'm accurately understanding it, I would like good resolution on the monitors whenever I am viewing them live. If sub streaming is configured, i would loose live stream quality but the recordings would be a higher quality, correct? Am i correct?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, when viewing a recording or a single camera you are seeing full resolution. Keep in mind that when viewing multiple cameras the size of each camera pane is much smaller and the resolution doesn't look bad at all. Plus, you can adjust to different sub stream rates to find one that gives you the view you are looking for.

One other comment regarding sub streams. There is a time lag, say a second or two, when switching from a multiple pane window to the single view of one camera. This is caused by BI having to render the main stream which is recording n the background. Some people find this irritating, some don't.

Last edited:

ssa

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, when viewing a recording or a single camera you are seeing full resolution. Keep in mind that when viewing multiple cameras the size of each camera pane is much smaller and the resolution doesn't look bad at all. Plus, you can adjust to different sub stream rates to find one that gives you the view you are looking for.

One other comment regarding sub streams. There is a time lag, say a second or two, when switching from a multiple pane window to the single view of one camera. This is caused by BI having to render the main stream which is recording n the background. Some people find this irritating, some don't.
Unfortunately that will not work for me. Only thing I achieved is reducing the RAM usage from 8.5 to 6.7. Can the PC I specified above even handle 50-60 cameras? I have only 35 now so even if I got sub streaming to work, won't I still need another PC?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The only way to know for sure is to try it. Generally speaking, with an i5 or i7 5th generation or newer, CPU utilization will drop at least in half for a given camera load. That machine you're running is basically a space heater with the technology available today. Replacing it with a used business class machine off of eBay or directly from Dell or HP, complete with a Win10 Pro license should be doable for under $300. The power saving alone will pay that back well before it gets overloaded.

ssa

n3wb
Reaction score
The only way to know for sure is to try it. Generally speaking, with an i5 or i7 5th generation or newer, CPU utilization will drop at least in half for a given camera load. That machine you're running is basically a space heater with the technology available today. Replacing it with a used business class machine off of eBay or directly from Dell or HP, complete with a Win10 Pro license should be doable for under $300. The power saving alone will pay that back well before it gets overloaded.
I'm curious as to why I need a professional windows license. The version of windows 10 shouldn't effect processing power of the hardware unless the consumer version is filled with process hungry garbage.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Don't forget that you don't have to run everything from a single computer. You might find it better to split the system onto two computers. Odds are you will need more than one monitor to view all the feeds anyway, so to the end user they might not even know the difference.

The added benefit is that you have some redundancy built it. If one system goes down for some reason, the second system might still capture needed information.

ssa

n3wb
Reaction score
Don't forget that you don't have to run everything from a single computer. You might find it better to split the system onto two computers. Odds are you will need more than one monitor to view all the feeds anyway, so to the end user they might not even know the difference.

The added benefit is that you have some redundancy built it. If one system goes down for some reason, the second system might still capture needed information.
This will most likely be what I end up doing and then installing a KVM switch.

I'll probably just build a PC. Buying a top of the line pre built from a vendor is about 2400 and if I build it myself it will be about 1500. I am the end user :)

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Look on eBay, Dell or HP for a 6th or 7th generation desktop with enough room for a couple of hard drives. In your particular case, I'd suggest 16GB of dual channel RAM for the machines and an M2 drive for boot. Even adding in the additional memory the cost will still be below $1000.

ssa

n3wb
Reaction score
Look on eBay, Dell or HP for a 6th or 7th generation desktop with enough room for a couple of hard drives. In your particular case, I'd suggest 16GB of dual channel RAM for the machines and an M2 drive for boot. Even adding in the additional memory the cost will still be below $1000.
Thank you!

As an engineer 20 years ago I deplore Dell and HP so I'll be buying a Lenovo with those specs :D

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I mentioned them because they are available and plentiful. Lenovo is fine too, if you like Chinese PCs, but then again, it's all made there in the end.

Last edited:
Reactions: ssa

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Look at the stats in the biupdatehelper web site.

You need to calculate your MP/SEC for your current system and the system you plan to build. Not the number of cameras.
Compare different CPUs

My very old i7-4790 is faster than the 7 yo xeon E3-1225 v3 . The i7-4790 16 gb system will go for $200 on ebay, if you shop around.
I run 13 2MP cameras at between 8 and 15 fps continuous record at 20% CPU with sub streams,

My initial guess is that the E3-1225 v3 CPU will not keep up. It also does not have a good quicksync graphic processor.

ssa

n3wb
Reaction score
Look at the stats in the biupdatehelper web site.

You need to calculate your MP/SEC for your current system and the system you plan to build. Not the number of cameras.
Compare different CPUs

My very old i7-4790 is faster than the 7 yo xeon E3-1225 v3 . The i7-4790 16 gb system will go for $200 on ebay, if you shop around.
I run 13 2MP cameras at between 8 and 15 fps continuous record at 20% CPU with sub streams,

My initial guess is that the E3-1225 v3 CPU will not keep up. It also does not have a good quicksync graphic processor.
I haven't heard of the quicksync graphic processor. What should I be looking for in a CPU?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Quicksync is the graphics processor that is built into the intel CPU. It is used to encode and decode the h.264 and H.265 video. It is also used to drive your monitor on some systems. It is a major performance factor in running BlueIris. Not all Intel processors have it, The older processors may only process h.264 but not H.265.

Also according to a post or reddit the iGPU may be disabled on some server mother boards for the Xeon E3-1225 v3 .

Last edited:

ssa

n3wb
Reaction score
Quicksync is the graphics processor that is built into the intel CPU. It is used to encode and decode the h.264 and H.265 video. It is also used to drive your monitor on some systems. It is a major performance factor in running BlueIris. Not all Intel processors have it, The older processors may only process h.264 but not H.265.
Great heads up! Thank you. I'll probably have to go to Intel's website to see which CPUs have that

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score