Recommended Daylight Cameras? 4K one and a value one

Eastwood

n3wb
Reaction score
Are there any easy to recommend daylight cameras?

Based on everyone’s praise, I have four Starlight Varifocal Turrets (IPC-HDW5231R-Z) for my night/lowlight coverage.

Which models are recommended for daylight? Looking for a couple models for two things:
  • One with a higher resolution (4K/8mp) than my Starlights
  • One value model, 2-4mp, that would be better bang for my buck than a Starlight for places I don’t need lowlight images.
I’m currently using Blue Iris, so pretty flexible on brand. Any form factors considered.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The IPC-HDW5231R-Z does pretty well during the day too. If you want something with more resolution, I'd wait a few months for a new 4k model. They've announced a 4k HDCVI starlight model, but not it's networked counterpart. Expect the 2MP to perform better at night.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Dahua has several 4K non-starlight models in the same price ballpark as the starlights. Most sellers with starlight cams should also have the 4K models.

They've also got 4mp and 6mp cameras you can find on aliexpress or amazon that would quality as a "value model" at roughly 1/3 to 2/3 the price of the starlights. Beware there are also some higher priced 4 and 6mp models, so search around a bit to find the good deals. The lowest prices are the cameras built for the Chinese market and typically they have Chinese web interfaces or they've been hacked into English.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are there any easy to recommend daylight cameras?

Based on everyone’s praise, I have four Starlight Varifocal Turrets (IPC-HDW5231R-Z) for my night/lowlight coverage.

Which models are recommended for daylight? Looking for a couple models for two things:
  • One with a higher resolution (4K/8mp) than my Starlights
  • One value model, 2-4mp, that would be better bang for my buck than a Starlight for places I don’t need lowlight images.
I’m currently using Blue Iris, so pretty flexible on brand. Any form factors considered.
Hi Eastwood,

I would look at the Dahua OEM IPC-HxW48xx or IPC-HxW58xx models for the higher resolution daytime coverage.

For the other spots the Dahua OEM IPC-HDW42xx starlight - as I want to minimize my headaches with firmware updates / factory reflash issues and if we're only talking a few cameras I really would not be saving much going with a Chinese market camera compared to what my time is worth.