Recommendation for Cameras in Lit Areas

Rednick69

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have been reading for days on this site and haven't been able to find much information on good cameras for apparently abnormal circumstances, where there is plenty of light. I understand that if i want good night vision I will purchase some of the 2MP Dahua cameras with the Starlight sensors.

I need a camera that will be mounted over the cash register watching employees with money. I need to be able to zoom in after the fact if necessary. Other than that, I just need good cameras for overall watching employees and customer interactions. I may go with one of the night vision cameras in the lobby for breaking since this has happened and I'm sure will again.

I'm not looking to buy cheap crap but I don't want to break the bank either. I already have an analog system in place that is dated so I'll be installing one camera at a time until the old system is replaced.
I looked at the ePOE option but those adapters are very expensive, I'd rather just run CAT5/6 cabling.

I will be using BlueIris for my NVR.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
HDCVI is another option to use your old coax cables.

The 2MP Starlight cameras work well when you have plenty of light too. There are lots of 4-8MP cameras that would work well too.
Nothing 'abnormal' this forum just has more home users than anything else.

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If there is always some light and you want color, the HFW4239T-ASE do a pretty good job. That said, depending how much light others may do a good job too at bit less $.

Note the aforementioned cameras do not have any IR capability so they do not work in total/complete darkness.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Pick up any dahua or Hikvision 8 megapixel camera with varifocal. That will allow you select the precise field of view you need and maximize pixels per foot.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Your "Old system" DVR's capabilities will probably be the limiting factor. Will it run 2MP 1080P (HDCVI) cameras?

If so Dahua makes plenty of very good HDCVI cameras that could work as @tangent mentioned with existing cabling.. But you need to make sure your old DVR can handle HDCVI 1080p first. If not you're starting over with a new NVR/XVR.

Dahua's XVR recorders would allow you to use your old analog cameras, plus newer HDCVI cams up to 4K, as well as IP cameras. They're pretty versatile.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Dahua's XVR recorders would allow you to use your old analog cameras, plus newer HDCVI cams up to 4K, as well as IP cameras. They're pretty versatile.
But they do have limitations and carefully reading the spec sheet, manual, and asking questions before you buy would be a good idea.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The op indicated he wants to use BI. The best way to do this is with ip cameras.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I will be using BlueIris for my NVR.
In that case, I'd say ditto to @fenderman's comment. Not sure if this is in the price range you were expecting, but FWIW here's a link to an 8MP Dahua varifocal turret with a mic (if that's something that you can use in your area .. if not, easy to disable via settings):
US $239.99 |Aliexpress.com : Buy IPC HDW5831R ZE 2017 New Arriving cameras 8MP WDR IR Eyeball Network Camera IPC HDW5831R ZE free DHL shipping from Reliable network camera suppliers on Empire Technology Co., Ltd

The vendor above is Andy (@EMPIRETECANDY), who's been beyond reliable and trustworthy. You can PM him here if you want to order direct and pay via PayPal... although it's Chinese New Year so I'm not sure when he's back to work.

Rednick69

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In that case, I'd say ditto to @fenderman's comment. Not sure if this is in the price range you were expecting, but FWIW here's a link to an 8MP Dahua varifocal turret with a mic (if that's something that you can use in your area .. if not, easy to disable via settings):
US $239.99 |Aliexpress.com : Buy IPC HDW5831R ZE 2017 New Arriving cameras 8MP WDR IR Eyeball Network Camera IPC HDW5831R ZE free DHL shipping from Reliable network camera suppliers on Empire Technology Co., Ltd

The vendor above is Andy (@EMPIRETECANDY), who's been beyond reliable and trustworthy. You can PM him here if you want to order direct and pay via PayPal... although it's Chinese New Year so I'm not sure when he's back to work.
Thank you all for your replies. @aristobrat I'm going to message Andy.