recommendation for best ip camera to capture face?

aboyz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi,

Anyone know of a good camera to capture face that is like 5-10 feet away? I want to set this up on my front door. so whoever walked into my front door I can see a clear picture of him. Anyone konw any camera that is good? I think I need a camera where I can zoom in to capture the face directly. Currently I'm using the Hikivision 4MP IP poe camera bullet, but it doesn't have a zoom function.

thank you

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
lot's of options. if you don't need more than about 12mm (~4x) zoom, most vari-focal's should get the FOV you need...

what's the lighting like at night? how much $ you wanna spend? a face for ID can be hard to get if the target is wearing a mask & hat and keeping their gaze down to the ground...

for example, we had packages taken from our front porch last saturday, and tho i have captures from various angles, i didn't get a good face shot.
porch pirate 1/23/21
granted, some of my cams should be mounted a bit lower and that's a work in progress...

aboyz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
lighting at night . we do have a light pole on the drive drive.. I want to spend like around $100 or so. I think i need one that can zoom in. I want to capture from the sidewalk where they walking in. that is like 25 feet away. I see your link. those image are ok if they are close. How about the on the street. You can barely see them and when zooming into the picture it get blurr. Can you tell me what camera you using? and also should I get a 4K camera? I see those 4K camera do not have zoom. I need one with zoom.

how is this camera?

but it doesn't have zoom.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Attachments

aboyz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
so I need two camera? one for the sidewalk and one for the front door? this thing get pretty expensive :) thank you . I'll look at those model!! thank you for the recommendation!!

aboyz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
wow!! yeah.. the picture are soo clean!!! when you export the picture are you still able to zoom in to it?

aboyz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you. for the zoomed image. By looking at it. I still see blurr.. But the first image look pretty good. Thank you..

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah I just literally zoomed into the jpeg, you could certainly zoom the camera in more but obviously there is no way to do that after the fact

For me, its good enough. I can't imagine seeing that and wanting more detail, the amount of people that come up to my door is pretty low, and now with everyone wearing masks I'd rather get a license plate anyway

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Remember that digital zoom is different than optical zoom. Zooming in digitally on the image from the 2231 will show soft focus as you zoom in due to lack of pixels for the zoom level and will get worse the more you digitally zoom. Best bet is use appropriate lens sizes even if it needs two cameras to accomplish, reliably, what you want to do.

Last edited:

aboyz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I already got a LPR camera capturing license plate. now I need one to capture the face when they walking up the porch..

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Here you go

aboyz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here you go

thank you!! will wait till sunday to make my order!! :).
Is it ok to get two the same one and use one as sidewalk and one for front door? I'll just zoom in to the sidewalk? is that the right way to do it?

aboyz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
on sale now.. not much.. but 15% off is good..? which camera do I need? for my front door and side walk? front door is like 5-10 feet away. sidewalk is like 20-25 feet away. please advise. can i get the same camera for both places? or do i need differnet one?

So this can be use for side walk and front door? and it does have optical zoom?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Varifocal means optical zoom. That would be a good camera if those distances are accurate (many on here come and say 20-25 feet but in reality it is 60-65 feet and that makes a difference with which camera to get).

You could get by with a 3.6mm or 4mm fixed lens at the 5-10 feet, but I never complain about having too much zoom capability LOL.

aboyz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Varifocal means optical zoom. That would be a good camera if those distances are accurate (many on here come and say 20-25 feet but in reality it is 60-65 feet and that makes a difference with which camera to get).

You could get by with a 3.6mm or 4mm fixed lens at the 5-10 feet, but I never complain about having too much zoom capability LOL.
i measured it, from the front door to the sidewalk its excatly 30 feet.
Camera for front door is 10 feet.

What is it ok to get this camera for both? or do i need a different one for the sidewalk? if so please advise which one i need on his website that is on sale right now.