recommendation for a wifi IP outdoor camera?

aboyz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi,

I have been searching for a wifi IP outdoor camera and are not able to get one that have a web interface with WIFI function. The best one I saw could do the trick is the amcrest wifi outdoor camera. Do anyone know of one that is the same feature as the hikvision bullet POE IP camera? but I need it in wifi becuase there is no way to pull the POE cable there. I just need one that will work with blue iris.

thank

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Any camera can become a WiFi camera with the addition of a dedicated, encrypted, RF link like the Ubiquity Nano Station Loco. This is not actually WiFi but a dedicated link and a Nano M5, for example, can link probably six to ten cameras over a several kilometer path if there is a clear line of sight.

Ubiquity Nano Station Loco M5

TP Link Bridge

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

I have been searching for a wifi IP outdoor camera and are not able to get one that have a web interface with WIFI function. The best one I saw could do the trick is the amcrest wifi outdoor camera. Do anyone know of one that is the same feature as the hikvision bullet POE IP camera? but I need it in wifi becuase there is no way to pull the POE cable there. I just need one that will work with blue iris.

thank
Amcrest claims their ASH43-W cam be set up to work with Blue Iris. You create an account, install their app on your smartphone and configure it with the app to work over your W-Fi with Blue Iris. Pretty sure the cam has no embedded webGUI. I believe ALL of their 'Smart Home' devices are similar in this regard.

I would buy it from amazon.com if possible so if you can't get it done or don't like it, you can return it. I have not done it, can't say one way or the other...I have no dog in this fight but here's the Amcrest info ==>>How To Setup an Amcrest Smart Home Bullet Camera In Blue Iris (ASH43)

EDIT: I do not suggest using Wi-Fi for surveillance but I will say I have two Amcrest IP2M-841's performing non-critical duty via Wi-Fi BUT.....the 2 are connected to their own dedicated wireless AP that nothing else uses and they have been very reliable for 3 years.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You won't find many here recommending wifi for outdoors. They are ok for watching the dog or wildlife, but will not cut it for surveillance.

Cameras connected to Wifi routers (whether wifi or not) are problematic for surveillance cameras because they are always streaming and passing data. And the data demands go up with motion and then you lose signal. A lost packet and it has to resend. It can bring the whole network down if trying to send cameras through a wifi router. At the very least it can slow down your entire system.

Unlike Netflix and other streaming services that buffer a movie, these cameras do not buffer up part of the video, so drop outs are frequent. You would be amazed how much streaming services buffer - don't believe me, start watching something and unplug your router and watch how much longer you can watch NetFlix before it freezes - mine goes 45 seconds. Now do the same with a camera connected to a router and it is fairly instantaneous (within the latency of the stream itself)...

The same issue applies even with the hard-wired cameras trying to send all this non-buffer video stream through a router. Most consumer grade wifi routers are not designed to pass the constant video stream data of cameras, and since they do not buffer, you get these issues. The consumer routers are just not designed for this kind of traffic, even a GB speed router.

So the more cameras you add, the bigger the potential for issues.

And don't mistake these cameras for consumer cameras like Ring that are cloud based - they highly compress the video and are not streaming 24/7.

Do a search here for how many people come here after an incident and their wifi camera either missed it completely or the video was unusable.

So either run the POE, do a powerline adapter that runs data over your existing electric lines, or the nanostation as mentioned above.

aboyz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Amcrest claims their ASH43-W cam be set up to work with Blue Iris. You create and account, install their app on your smartphone and configure it with the app to work over your W-Fi with Blue Iris. Pretty sure the cam has no embedded webGUI. I believe ALL of their 'Smart Home" devices are similar in this regard.

I would buy it from amazon.com if possible so if you can't get it done or don't like it, you can return it. I have not done it, can't say one way or the other...I have no dog in this fight but here's the Amcrest info ==>>How To Setup an Amcrest Smart Home Bullet Camera In Blue Iris (ASH43)

EDIT: I do not suggest using Wi-Fi for surveillance but I will say I have two Amcrest IP2M-841's performing non-critical duty via Wi-Fi BUT.....the 2 are connected to their own dedicated wireless AP that nothing else uses and they have been very reliable for 3 years.
thank you. i think not much wifi camera to choose from. This will do i guess. just needed something to look outside.. thank you all for the help..