Recommend to me a good POE+ Switch

GaretJax

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am thinking of something like this, but want to make sure I am not missing something.

I like that each port has 30W so that I can plug any POE camera (including PTZ) into it and guarantee that it has enough power.

There are two things I don't like:

1) I have to waste one of the 8 ports to tie it back into my main network
2) It doesn't support a Gigabit speed.

Are there other factors that I need to look at?

I am also looking at this switch. It only has a power budget of 120W. Which means it can do upto 4 POE+ devices or upto 8 POE devices. It does have support upto Gigabit speeds.

My only other consideration is that a $120 for a POE switch is about half the price of what it would cost me for an NVR. My issue is that I have a quad core computer with 16GB of RAM that I can use for no cost - I would need to buy Blue Iris for $60, but other than that it is free to use.

Should I be looking for an NVR or the POE Switch?

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
How many poe+ devices do you intend to use? The high power switches are VERY noisy because of the fans...NVR's with poe switches are just as bad...
Blue iris vs nvr - that decision should not be made based on a switch or spare pc..there are several threads that discuss the merits of both...
What is the exact model of the quad core machine...the fact that its quad core is meaningless...it may not be sufficient (depends on how may Megapixels you will record) or it may be a huge power hog...
What cameras will you be running and at what resolution?

GaretJax

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How many poe+ devices do you intend to use? The high power switches are VERY noisy because of the fans...NVR's with poe switches are just as bad...
Blue iris vs nvr - that decision should not be made based on a switch or spare pc..there are several threads that discuss the merits of both...
What is the exact model of the quad core machine...the fact that its quad core is meaningless...it may not be sufficient (depends on how may Megapixels you will record) or it may be a huge power hog...
What cameras will you be running and at what resolution?
Fenderman,

First off - thanks for taking the time to answer.

I am still working out the details of the number and types of cameras. For a noobie, it is very hard to answer the questions like how many cameras, what resolution, how many megapixels, whether to store 24x7x365 or only based on motion, etc.... I just don't know the answers and short of doing hours and hours and hours of research, I won't know. I have already been reading for some time and still find that I just don't know very much. Besides that I learn by doing. For example, I bought two Top-201 cameras and have hooked them up to a trial version of BI and have learned more in the last two days because of that then in the previous 3 months. I expect that I will be able to put a few of them inside of my house to get really good coverage, but don't know if they will be able to do what I need them to do. I also don't know what I need them to do yet, because I don't know what is possible.

I like the POE switch because it allows me to get started and purchase cameras as the budget and time allow. I expect that I will buy some things that don't work and that I will reach the extremes of the computer that I currently have before I get my entire system up and running. I also find that asking specific questions will yield better results since people like you know too much to help people like me unless I can direct you a little better.

My concern with an NVR is that they are more expensive than a POE switch + BI and they don't offer the flexibility. I might inadvertently tie myself into a proprietary system or prevent myself from using certain makes, models or types of cameras.

I am still learning, but at some point just have to take a plunge. Right now I am more comfortable doing that with a POE switch + BI than I am with an NVR. Is that backwards?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
No its not backwards..I myself prefer BI..but it depends on what you want to do..
Note the top-201 cameras are not POE and will not work with your switch unless you add a poe compliant splitter at the camera end...
Very few cameras require POE+...usually large outdoor PTZ cameras which you are unlikely to use...or maybe have 1...
I would start with a cheap poe switch like this..4 POE ports 45 dollars..no fan - silent..
http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-SF1008P-100Mbps-8-Port-802-3af/dp/B003CFATT2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436325668&sr=8-1&keywords=poe+switch&pebp=1436325607765&perid=0WXRQ4HW99K171GSYGMH

GaretJax

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No its not backwards..I myself prefer BI..but it depends on what you want to do..
Note the top-201 cameras are not POE and will not work with your switch unless you add a poe compliant splitter at the camera end...
Very few cameras require POE+...usually large outdoor PTZ cameras which you are unlikely to use...or maybe have 1...
I would start with a cheap poe switch like this..4 POE ports 45 dollars..no fan - silent..
http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-SF1008P-100Mbps-8-Port-802-3af/dp/B003CFATT2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436325668&sr=8-1&keywords=poe+switch&pebp=1436325607765&perid=0WXRQ4HW99K171GSYGMH
Once again perfect advice. I already know that about the top-201 and was planning on wiring them using this adapter so I could leverage POE.

I have been looking at the 5 port POE switches without POE+ and this thought has very much crossed my mind. I doubt that I will get a PTZ camera, but might like the option - not sure it is worth 70+ dollars though.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Once again perfect advice. I already know that about the top-201 and was planning on wiring them using this adapter so I could leverage POE.

I have been looking at the 5 port POE switches without POE+ and this thought has very much crossed my mind. I doubt that I will get a PTZ camera, but might like the option - not sure it is worth 70+ dollars though.
Spend a few more bux on name brand. http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-POE10R-Gigabit-Splitter-compliant/dp/B003CFATQK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1436327543&sr=8-2&keywords=poe+splitter
You will most likely never use poe+...

GaretJax

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

pcmcg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just get a regular swtich and use a 8-port POE injector. I think that is good upto like 125ft runs or more.

james99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Man, I gave up on this stuff. BI, settings, time consuming twiddling at the os of the dedicated pc.....so that is why i choose to work smarter and just plug in the nvr. set it and forget it. what's the good of a cctv system if it's not, after setup, on full auto?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Man, I gave up on this stuff. BI, settings, time consuming twiddling at the os of the dedicated pc.....so that is why i choose to work smarter and just plug in the nvr. set it and forget it. what's the good of a cctv system if it's not, after setup, on full auto?
Nothing is plug and play...You will need to setup every device. It depends on your needs..if you need basic recording buy an NVR from the same manufacturers are your cams and call it a day. IF you want custom recording and alert options and the ability to easily mix and match from a variety of manufactures you need a PC based NVR.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
I have 3 cameras with cat5e from each running to a small switch plugged into my router. If I replace these 3 cameras with the new 4mp Hikvisions this switch will work ok to power them? This will be my first experience with poe.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have 3 cameras with cat5e from each running to a small switch plugged into my router. If I replace these 3 cameras with the new 4mp Hikvisions this switch will work ok to power them? This will be my first experience with poe.
Yes it will work perfectly.

Fester

n3wb
Reaction score
I purchased a Nortel Baystack 5520-48T-PWR 48 port POE switch, it is a managed switch - from Ebay. This is a very well built product that I got used cheaper than some of the new, lesser port models. ( I wanted something I would probably never outgrow) YES, they are very loud! I have it mounted in my basement and I can still hear the fans running.

FWIW, I've already went the stand-alone security camera DVR... I think I bought it at Fry's electronics or Tiger Direct.... Sorry, Blue Iris is just hands down better IMO, more options, better user interface, night and day! And I owned a computer based security cam dvr... Blue Iris blows that away too!

What I like:

I have the ability... if I want to run 47 POE devices
It is built like a tank!

What I don't like:
It is loud (but I knew that going in, and accept that trade-off) And I had the perfect mounting spot in my basement already picked out.
Hard to find documentation
I'm not an IT guy, so I have no idea how to configure it for best performance, but as-is it is pretty much plug-and-play with devices.

As far as other things; I am running Blue Iris release 4.2.4.3 x64 - very happy with it!

My computer set up is; Lenovo K450e with an i7-4790 processor (3.6GHz, 1600MHz) 16 Gigs of RAM, 2TB 7200 RPM internal hard disk and a 3TB external hard disk.

Intellinet Cat5e 48 port patch panel

Everything is running smoothly, although I only have 1 Dahua camera at the moment, I am researching Dahua and Hikvision cameras and more will be on the way soon! Future plans are to add more RAM to the computer and a NAS in the basement near the switch

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@Fester more ram is not needed and will be completely wasted... If you want snappier performance use an ssd for the os