Recommend an Asus WiFi Mesh system for me

Swampledge

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I’m looking to upgrade from my Netgear router/AP to an ASUS mesh system. House is about 90 feet long, all on one floor, internet enters at one end, and that’s the current modem and router location. Main reason for switching is to get OpenVPN capability for remote access to my Blue Iris box, and replace a Linksys extender that can’t quite get the job done. I find the Asus website kinda confusing, and expect to want two additional mesh nodes to service the mid and far end of the house. Cameras will be the only traffic on my wired network, which already extends the length of the house and beyond to outbuildings. Any experience-based thoughts/opinions will be appreciated.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Keep in mind, wireless mesh and repeater devices have a lot of overhead. Not only is each mesh/repeater device receiving, then transmitting packets from any end node device within range (tablet, cel phone, wifi network card, etc). It is also has the overhead of receiving and transmitting from any upstream repeater/mesh device as well as the overhead of receiving and transmitting from any downstream repeater/mesh device. It services the needs of all these devices one at a time. The greater the volume of wifi traffic, the longer each device has to wait it's turn to send/receive data.

Mesh/repeater set-ups are quite capable, and a great solution when cabling is impossible. IMO, they are not as efficient as an access point with an Ethernet connection. You shared that you already have Ethernet infrastructure in place, you should consider adding an AP for the far end of the house and keep the traffic isolated via VLAN's if you cannot readily add any additional cabling.

Swampledge

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks Spaceman. I‘m already using a Ubiquiti Access Point in my detached workshop, and there’s a part of me that wants to just add a couple of access points in the house. I’m leery, though, of our mobile devices automatically switching when we move from one end of the house to the other if I keep the same WiFi names for the convenience of my wife and our sometimes-here grandchildren. That’s why I’m favoring a mesh network in the house. FWIW, my son and his family are currently living with us and he has his Google Home mesh network patched in to my network. I’m not a google fan, nor have I seen astounding performance from it, but it seems to satisfy their work-from-home needs on a day to day basis. It will be just my wife and I here after mid August, and we’re retired, so mission-critical means satisfying our web surfing and forum participation needs primarily, with a few IOT devices.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
I’m leery, though, of our mobile devices automatically switching when we move from one end of the house to the other if I keep the same WiFi names for the convenience of my wife and our sometimes-here grandchildren.
Leery? A single SSID (wifi name) on all AP's is best practice. This ensures you can travel from one end to the other with minimal connectivity issues. As you already have ubiquiti hardware, it would make sense to consider adding one or two more ubiquiti AP's in the house. Their software would allow you to manage and tune them for the physical environment they service.

Swampledge

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks again. This is why I asked here. I am completely comfortable with adding an AP or two, and that’s an economically viable approach for a retired guy, having done a couple already.

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I will recommend the Ubiquiti In-Wall access point, installed 18” above floor level. Is my favorite for an sleek look, as well as my customer’s wife

Last edited:

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Last contributions were to a single level home with basement. Quick and easy to run the cable across the basement and mount the APs down there as well.

Swampledge

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As an update, I reconfigured an unused router/AP to function solely as an AP with the same SSID setup as in the main part of the house and connected it in an outbuilding and my mobile device transitioned seamlessly, so I’ll definitely try that approach before investing in any mesh nodes. Now I’ve still got to pick an ASUS router to replace my older Netgear which I detest.

brobin

n3wb
Reaction score
Most of the ASUS routers are AiMesh compatible. I have a couple of their older AC1750 B1 routers and an RP-AC55 AiMesh repeater (for the garage) set up as an AiMesh network and it works perfectly. I have both routers and the repeater connected via Ethernet with the WiFi backhaul disabled. I currently have, according to the router, 69 devices in use, 26 of wich are connected via WiFi. If I were doing it today I'd go with the WiFi 6 (AX) routers although I don't need that capability yet. A pair of the RT-AX3000 is probably what I'd choose but your needs may be different.
One thing I really like about AiMesh is that from the primary router (the one connected to the modem) all the other AiMesh routers are managed and updated in one place. Also, all of their AiMesh routers are compatible so they don't all have to be the same model. The other major benefit, of course, is the seamless handoff as a wireless device moves through the house.

Swampledge

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Most of the ASUS routers are AiMesh compatible. I have a couple of their older AC1750 B1 routers and an RP-AC55 AiMesh repeater (for the garage) set up as an AiMesh network and it works perfectly. I have both routers and the repeater connected via Ethernet with the WiFi backhaul disabled. I currently have, according to the router, 69 devices in use, 26 of wich are connected via WiFi. If I were doing it today I'd go with the WiFi 6 (AX) routers although I don't need that capability yet. A pair of the RT-AX3000 is probably what I'd choose but your needs may be different.
One thing I really like about AiMesh is that from the primary router (the one connected to the modem) all the other AiMesh routers are managed and updated in one place. Also, all of their AiMesh routers are compatible so they don't all have to be the same model. The other major benefit, of course, is the seamless handoff as a wireless device moves through the house.
Thanks for the recommendation. I had pretty much concluded that I’d get an AX68U and reconfigure the Netgear as an AP. Then yesterday I updated the Netgear’s firmware, did a reset on it, and by doing so finally resolved a problem I’ve been living with for years. Now I will see if I can get its VPN capability working. If so, with the help you and others have provided, I’ll probably put the E2500 back to work for a spell.