Recomended OS - New Blue Iris Server

Reaction score
Hello, i am bulding a new blue iris server and a question come do my mind. What operational system to use?
Windows 10 or Windows 7 ? or another OS ?
Thank you for the help.

Saymon Fernandes

spork

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
if you go with 10 definitely get pro if you want to disable updates so you don't miss recordings. Or just stay with 7.

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
if you go with 10 definitely get pro if you want to disable updates so you don't miss recordings. Or just stay with 7.
Don't ever disable updates on your system !!! Keep everything update it's a most

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't ever disable updates on your system !!! Keep everything update it's a most
If you are using a vpn, which you should be, there is no compelling reason to always update w10...His point was that w10 home will not allow you to disable auto update (though there are third party solutions)..

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My BI server is Win 7 and I have it set to 'download updates but let me choose whether to install them'. That way I have some control over when it reboots, I know how long it's offline and can insure all is back up and running. I check the update status periodically and if there are some updates queued up and I have time I shut down BI and let it install them. But I do let them install at least every month, generally the first so I can remember. It seems the longer you do not allow them the larger they are and the longer it takes, not to mention the security risks you may be taking by not installing the 'important' ones for Windows. Just my two cents worth.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm running windows 10 enterprise in a vm right now and I don't see a way to "disable" updates, you can schedule them, but not disable, care to share how you are doing that?

logbuilder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you are using a vpn, which you should be, there is no compelling reason to always update w10...His point was that w10 home will not allow you to disable auto update (though there are third party solutions)..
I am on a satellite with a data cap so automatic updates are not what I wanted. On my laptop (win 8.1) I am able to set a wireless conntection to 'metered' at it won't load updates unless I tell it to. On my BI3/HS3 machine(win 10 home), it is cable connected, not wireless. Turns out you can't set an ethernet connection to be metered so windows was wanting to download and install updates whenever you wanted.

I searched and found a solution where I can set the ethernet connection to metered but you have to edit the registry to do it. It seems to work just fine and no updates have been automatically loaded.

Here is a link telling you how to do it:

Meter your Ethernet connection in Windows 10

spork

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I had my own thread here.

Windows 10. Can updates be reliably disabled?

It seems the supported way is to use the policy editor in 10 pro. Although I still found some reddit posts about this method failing as well. I was recently working on a BI machine and came back a few minutes later to the thing updating. It was offline for nearly 10 minutes. I agree that checking on the machine monthly and updating is probably the best way. On a surveillance machine its completely inexcusable that it can update and reboot itself whenever. If you allow it to do this I would plan on getting cams with edge storage or some kind of backup.

Microsoft has said this is all part of the windows as a service plan and its good for you. In the future you may actually need a sever version of windows for blue iris. I wonder if the developer has thought about these things. I will say it again that I wish blue iris had a whole os packaged and setup with it like blue cherry.

To the op I don't think there is any major performance boosts between 7 and 10 but I really dread installing all the updates for 7.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I had my own thread here.

Windows 10. Can updates be reliably disabled?

It seems the supported way is to use the policy editor in 10 pro. Although I still found some reddit posts about this method failing as well. I was recently working on a BI machine and came back a few minutes later to the thing updating. It was offline for nearly 10 minutes. I agree that checking on the machine monthly and updating is probably the best way. On a surveillance machine its completely inexcusable that it can update and reboot itself whenever. If you allow it to do this I would plan on getting cams with edge storage or some kind of backup.

Microsoft has said this is all part of the windows as a service plan and its good for you. In the future you may actually need a sever version of windows for blue iris. I wonder if the developer has thought about these things. I will say it again that I wish blue iris had a whole os packaged and setup with it like blue cherry.

To the op I don't think there is any major performance boosts between 7 and 10 but I really dread installing all the updates for 7.

I'm too lazy to worry about it now but I am sure there is some way, even if hacky, to stop windows 10 from updating lol if not, I'll be using server 2012, or whatever its up to now.

Reaction score
@hmjgriffon @spork Open the task Manager, go to the services tab, click open services, scroll down to windows updates, right click and click properties. Click on the drop down menu under Startup type and click disabled. This will prevent the windows update service from running which will prevent the computer from updating. You can always manually re-enable the service to check for updates. I've been running BI in Windows 10 for over a year without any problems.

Someone needs to make this a sticky. I've posted this method at least 3 or 4 times already.

spork

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@hmjgriffon @spork Open the task Manager, go to the services tab, click open services, scroll down to windows updates, right click and click properties. Click on the drop down menu under Startup type and click disabled. This will prevent the windows update service from running which will prevent the computer from updating. You can always manually re-enable the service to check for updates. I've been running BI in Windows 10 for over a year without any problems.

Someone needs to make this a sticky. I've posted this method at least 3 or 4 times already.
Glad to hear its continued to work for you but some people still have trouble with this method. Here is just one post

Reaction score
Probably user error, I don't know what method he used to disable the service. I've used this method on multiple BI computers without any issues.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score

yeah, that is a way to go.