Recomendations for a lot of cameras..

dehcbad25

n3wb
Reaction score
First, let me start with I have done someprelim research and read, but the more I read the more confused I get.
The web site recommends Nvidia and here Isee a lot of HD4000 or higher. So exactly what is needed to do hardwareencoding? QuickSync? CUDA? OpenGL
I was testing BI using a Gigabyte Brixmachine with an AMD A8 5557, and of course this means that I can’t use HA.
I will connect 28 D-Link DCS-6010L cameraswhich are 2M
http://www.dlink.com/uk/en/support/product/dcs-6010l-2-megapixel-panoramic-wireless-cloud-camera
Unfortunatelythe cloud feature does not work very well with this many cameras (it is a painto switch, and the cameras have problem holding the session to the cloud, butthey are running fine locally)
So, 28 camerasis a lot, and we might add a few more. Can I do all of these from 1 system?
In the futurewe might also start switching cameras to something a bit more professional aswell.
These camerasare located in remote locations (1 or 2 per location) and the locations areconnected thru a VPN hub back to where I will have the DVR running
I think ideallyI would preffer a rack mounted machine, or something that does not take muchspace.
I though theBrix was going to be a winner for this, but I guess not
I also have aNUC with a Core i5-5250U CPU but the passmark score is not that much better (Ispassmark score super important here?)
In contrast anolder 4770K is 3 times the score.
Considering theamount of cameras we will have I am not looking for a cheap system. I don’twant to skimp, but also not the most expensive system would necessarily help.
For example,some Xeon have integrated graphics, like the E3-1285 v3 have Intel® HD GraphicsP4700. Will that enable HA? I am guessing yes.
As I wasreading I realized that this unit might have been a better test
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856164011
I actually haveone, but I am using it as my SteamBox (The iRis Pro are decent)
I am a bitconfused and undecided with so many roads.
I guess tostart I will have to find a CPU to handle 30+ cameras. Also as I am readying,no low power CPU options, right? Does Nvidia card make a difference?
Also, I amguessing HT (Hyper Threading) helps, so a Core i7 can be fully utilized. Iusually don’t look much at them because they are overpowered for mostactivities, but for this it will help.
Looking atSkydale that leaves me with the Core i7-6700 (or the Core i5-6600)
My currentsystem has a 4770K. Should I use this as the BI server? (and use this an excuseto move my main system to Skydale J?)
My problemright now is that I don’t know how much of a difference does the HD graphics,and if I will need more than 1 system

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
hmmmm. I haven't looked closely, but those cams seem to be 'cloud only' sort of things.
are you sure they'll even work with BI ? it requires a direct link to the cam, some sort of rtsp stream
preferably on the local network. it can work with remote cams if you've got the bandwidth, but not at
all if the cloud service the cams connect to doesn't provide the right streams

that said, BI on a fast machine can handle 28+ cams, just probably not those.
I'm sure someone will come along and correct me, if i'm wrong about that...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The spec sheet does list rtsp and onvif support. The problem is that blue iris cannot dewarp the cameras. So unless the camera can dewarp on its own, blue iris wont work.

dehcbad25

n3wb
Reaction score
The cameraswork. I have the trial working on a machine at the moment, and I have 7 camerasconnected. BI even has a section in the configuration for this cameras so itwas really easy to add them.
They do require a direct connection, and since have site to site VPN enabled, Ican connect to them as long as they are in the right network (either wired orin the VPN enabled Wi-FI).

The camerasthat I have working are all the ones I can work with at the moment. To finishconnecting the other 20+ cameras I will have to reconfigure them (but I amalready working on it).
BI receives thestream from the camera, so if I set a different view in the camera, that is howBI gets it, so there is no problem with distortion (fish eye).
For the bandwidth,the main location has a 50MB fiber connection (REAL FIBER, NOT FIOS).
It is possiblethat once I have most of the cameras running I might have to decrease thequality (1600x900@15fps atm) because I have about 11 cameras (I have a few fromNightOWL DVR too) and the machine is using 10Mbps connection.
I emailed BIsupport to understand a little better what I need. Hardware acceleration isthru QuickSync at the moment, but they still recommend a Nvidia card for drawingthe screen.
Since I have a3 U rack case, I am thinking on just putting a motherboard with an Intel CPU,and a Nvidia card for the display output. I can put a DisplayEmulator so I can use QuickSync for HA, and the Nvidia card for the actualdisplay.
I think I willhave to stick to a Core i7, or Xeon E3. What I am wondering is whether a Corei7 4770K is enough, or I should go with a Skydale Core i7-6700K, or a Xeon E3-1225V3.
This seems tobe a good system too (if I don’t put it together directly)

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.