Reboot schedule or not?

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
So, every so often- maybe once every couple months or so- I see there's a little issue with something and a reboot always clears it. It's usually something like the IVS has stopped logging events but the recordings are still there, trouble streaming smooth playback remotely or just little niggles that a reboot always clears. I wish a reboot could be scheduled less frequently than once a week but oh well. What's the consensus on rebooting hard drives once a week in these nvr's shortening the hard drive lifespan? It shouldn't be an issue right? It just seems like my nvr gets a wee bit wonky over long stretches and a reboot could make sense to avoid anything that could be missed recording wise. I'm not gonna mess with a firmware update. It's not a huge deal. Reboot always does the trick.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I reboot my cameras once a week, but my DVR and my 3 Dahua NVR have not been rebooted other then
extended power outage for 3-5 years. I have rebooted after setup changes, but not normally needed then.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It depends on the system, software, and OS. When I started with USB cameras and prior to using BI, I was on a Win98 machine. It would lock up every few days, and this was a remote location, so we installed a hard timer on the system to shut it down and restart it. I now have a Windows 8.1 system it just runs. But, the damned satellite modem will lock up, so I reboot it nightly. I don't think rebooting will shorten the life of any hardware if you are doing it daily or less frequently.