Reasonably easy way to recieve alerts on my Verizon phone?

Rick Rick

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Pushover does not require an email address. That is the entire point of pushover. Its instant and doesn't rely on any outside service other than pushover.
Thanks. BUt when configuring ALerts in BI you have to enter an email outgoing server

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And like I said, if you are using the email option, you need a personal email account already set up in BI sertings whether it be Gmail, Hotmail, yahoo, etc. This needs to be setup prior to creating alerts so that it is just a pulldown of your email address.

That is totally independent of pushover.

Or use the API and an email isn't needed.

Rick Rick

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
And like I said, if you are using the email option, you need a personal email account already set up in BI sertings whether it be Gmail, Hotmail, yahoo, etc.

That is totally independent of pushover.
I have an email acount with Yahoo, Gmail, and now pushover. BI can not seem to send these alerts directly to yahoo or other. Hence I am using pushover and my new email address in pushover. I need to configure the email server as part of that I beleive. BI asks for the server when confguring alerts. Am I doing somthing wrong?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks. BUt when configuring ALerts in BI you have to enter an email outgoing server
Nope. See the thread on pushover. Alerts can be anything, text, http commands or even audio to your cameras. You dont need an email account.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you are unable to get BI yo send out an email then you have a setting wrong somewhere. Some providers require you to create an app password or select allow less secure apps.

To be clear, you can go to the sent outbox of your email and see no messages sent from BI? Trying to figure out if it is an email forward problem or your setup in BI problem.

What do the BI logs say - does it show an attempt to send the alert?

Looks like time for some screenshots of BI log, alert tab and email tab.

Rick Rick

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
the choices are
Nope. See the thread on pushover. Alerts can be anything, text, http commands or even audio to your cameras. You dont need an email account.
If you are unable to get BI yo send out an email then you have a setting wrong somewhere. Some providers require you to create an app password or select allow less secure apps.

To be clear, you can go to the sent outbox of your email and see no messages sent from BI? Trying to figure out if it is an email forward problem or your setup in BI problem.

What do the BI logs say - does it show an attempt to send the alert?

Looks like time for some screenshots of BI log, alert tab and email tab.

I get connect failed.

1654372600106.png

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Delete email alerts. delete gmail. see the thread on how to setup pushover. You dont need gmail anymore. Problem solved.

Rick Rick

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Delete email alerts. delete gmail. see the thread on how to setup pushover. You dont need gmail anymore. Problem solved.
Problem solved?? I still can not get pushover to work without a correct server address. I disable all the others and it still does not work

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In this instance there is not a pushover smtp. This location would be your email account.

I would suggest deleting all the emails and try setting up again. You have a wrong password or smtp server or something for them. They shouldn't be user defined. You tell BI you have a Gmail and it will auto populate the site and port and you simply provide username and password. If all of that is correct, then you need to go into the email account and allow less secure apps to be used.

Or set up the API

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Problem solved?? I still can not get pushover to work without a correct server address. I disable all the others and it still does not work
for gods sake. You did not read the pushover thread. YOU DONT NEED ANY EMAIL ADDRESS FOR PUSHOVER TO WORK. If you cant help yourself then know one can help you!

Rick Rick

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In this instance there is not a pushover smtp. This location would be your email account.

I would suggest deleting all the emails and try setting up again. You have a wrong password or smtp server or something for them. They shouldn't be user defined. You tell BI you have a Gmail and it will auto populate the site and port and you simply provide username and password. If all of that is correct, then you need to go into the email account and allow less secure apps to be used.

Or set up the API
For right now I would like to avoid using pushover if I can use emails. I did as you suggested and cofigured my email server using BI. See below. But I still get "Connect failed". I am beginning to thing that BI does not work with some of the email servers. Have you gotten it to work with gmail?

1654374191386.png

Rick Rick

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
BY the way I forgot to mention that gmail does not allow unsecured apps to send to them anymore. At least as far as I can tell.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For Gmail, you have to go into the actual email account and tell it to allow less secure apps.

Now with that said, they also are doing away with that and you need an app password or update to latest BI that has worked Gmail Oauth into it.

Many have reported Hotmail works well.

Something still seems off. Have you blocked email via firewall or some other crazy thing?

Rick Rick

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For Gmail, you have to go into the actual email account and tell it to allow less secure apps.

Now with that said, they also are doing away with that and you need an app password or update to latest BI that has worked Gmail Oauth into it.

Many have reported Hotmail works well.

Something still seems off. Have you blocked email via firewall or some other crazy thing?
Ah yes good info.
I used to use comcast and it stopped working. I did not know BI had that as I am probably out of time to get updates. I will try hotmail. I am not blocking email but I think gmail is bocking me. Thanks for the suggestions.

Rick Rick

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well I looked into hotmail and I am not sure that this will work. It seems that outlook owns hotmail and probably wont allow unsecure apps. I had to resolve this problem years ago and finally found that comcast allowed unsecure apps. That is no longer the case. Now I have been looking into using pushover and have not found an easy way to use this app to send alerts and pics. Here is what I found on a thread:

-s --form-string "token=YOUR_TOKEN_HERE" --form-string "user=YOUR_USER_KEY_HERE" --form-string "message=<b>&CAM</b> &MEMO <a href='&WAN/alerts/&ALERT_DB?fulljpeg'>Hi-Res</a> <a href='&WAN/ui3.htm?rec=&ALERT_DB'>UI3</a>" --form-string "html=1" --form-string "device=YOUR_PUSHOVER_DEVICE_NAME(S)_HERE" --form-string "sound=YOUR_PUSHOVER_SOUND_HERE" -F "attachment=@D:\BlueIris\Alerts\&ALERT_PATH"

THat is a string I am supposed to enter in BI. I have to figuure out all the info I need to replace in this string. What a waste of time!!

BI should have resolved this issue years ago . Now it looks like I will have to upgrade and hope this resolves my problem by using a new feature in BI. I will let you know.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you get the API working no need to update BI, although we recommend just so new features keep being introduced.

And the update would only fix for Gmail.

And this isn't really BI's issue or fault. NVRs and cameras and many IoT devices are struggling with email providers locking down their systems to help combat BOT and spam devices. People with NVRs are coming here looking for solutions as well, but we are finding the fix is easier for BI users than NVR users.

Since you are getting an SMTP connection failed, that means either you have a wrong setup in BI for your email (bad user or pw or smtp server) or your email provider is blocking you, either thinking you are a spam bot or you haven't configured the email properly for less secure apps.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
BI should have resolved this issue years ago . Now it looks like I will have to upgrade and hope this resolves my problem by using a new feature in BI. I will let you know.
You can resolve the issue now. Use a different VMS. Blue iris requires a minimum IQ of 80. The developer failed to add this to the list of requirements. Really, what kind of dumbass thinks is blue iris' fault that your free email provider does not allow less secure apps? Blue iris did solve the issue - the newer versions support Gmail Oauth. Its not the developers problem that you dont want to open your rusty wallet and pay for an update. How long do you think you are entitled for free updates? Stop being a parasitic leech.
There are other low cost options that work 10 times better than gmail including pushover for 5 dollars and will not require you to spend your life savings of 35 dollars to update. I know that's too much for you. Let us know what software you settle on.