Reasonably easy way to recieve alerts on my Verizon phone?

Rick Rick

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I want to send an alert to my phone.I have a yahoo, gmail, and comcast email accounts. I can not send alerts directly to my phone. Ambout 4 years ago the way I got my alerts to work was to send an email to my Comcast mail. Then Comcast email forwarded it to my phone. This does not work now.

Anyone know how to dio it without writing scripts?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There just are not many options.
  • Have it text it to you, but as you are seeing and most have found that mobile providers are blocking them or delaying them as they implement new Spam algorithms
  • Use the Pushover app (about $5) and have it push notify you. Downfall is you need to either open ports/port forward (not recommended) or have a VPN open back to your network. The push will occur without it, but you will not get the images unless you VPN or port forward.
  • Use the BI app (about $10) and have it push notify you. This will send an image whether you are home or not without the need to open ports or VPN.
  • Go unsecure and port forward to get images on the BI app when away.
Many here go with the Pushover app. Simple. Easy. Gets photos even when off network without need for VPN.

Last edited:

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
If you are on an iPhone, you can find it in the App StoreIMG_0539.png
I’m sure there is the same in the Google play store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, there is the BI app in the Google Play Store as well.

Do keep in mind that when away from home you will not get the images unless you VPN when away or port forward (not recommended). That is why many go with the Pushover app.

Rick Rick

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by "unless you VPN".

Are you also saying that BI app will not send alerts to me when away from home?

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
It will, you just won’t see the rich 3D preview pictures unless you are on VPN back to your network, or you open ports on the router back to the BI server.

Rick Rick

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well I do have port open to my server so I can use the client on my phone. BUt why do I need that when the picture is sent as an attachment?

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
It has to do with push notifications to the BI app and the use of the Rich 3D notification option which takes a few frames of video and packages them into the notification. Your phone running the BI app will want to make a connection back to the BI server to get those images. So, you either need to have the ports open (which isn’t secure) or have a VPN server setup and have your phone connected back to your network via VPN while you are out to have those images come through. Without it, you’ll only see the name of the camera alerting with no preview pictures.

Rick Rick

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So you are saying if I get pushover I iwll not need VPN or ports open?

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
I’m not but someone else did. I haven’t used pushover.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The BI app will not send images when off your network unless you either opened ports/port forwarded (not recommended) or VPN'd back into your system. You will still get the Push notification when away, it will just not have an image.

The pushover app will send the images via either API (if you set it up that way) or a pushover email that then comes to you as a push notification from the Pushover app. You will get the image that way whether you are on your network or not. No need to open ports or VPN. That is why it is a popular method by many folks here.

Rick Rick

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks all. I guess I will go with pushover though I think I will have to write a script.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There is no script to write with Pushover unless you want to use the API and then follow this thread:

Otherwise, when you sign up for Pushover, it gives you a pushover email and all you do is go into the BI alerts and select to send email and type that email address into it instead of your personal email and you get the images as a pushover notification from the Pushover app and they will come as a push much faster than any text or email.

Rick Rick

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What address do I use for the oputgoing smtp server with pushover? Also the port #.

I have tried several and none seem to work.

Rick Rick

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does anyone know the what address I use for the email outgoing smtp server with pushover? Also the port #. ?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
BI with pushover if you will use the email option still requires you to have a personal email set up in BI whether it be Hotmail, Gmail, yahoo, AOL, etc. It is your email provider that uses the port and smtp settings not Pushover.

Unless you are using some obscure email provider, BI will autopopulate the server and port.

But the API version doesn't need an email.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the what address I use for the email outgoing smtp server with pushover? Also the port #. ?
Pushover does not require an email address. That is the entire point of pushover. Its instant and doesn't rely on any outside service other than pushover.