Raspberry Pi as surveillance camera

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Looks really cool. I am definitely interested in building one too.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I would like to use mine to setup as just an alarm center to use with door and window sensors but never seem to have the time to fiddle with it. I never seem to have time off lately...and when I do I'm posting here. Haha

bombo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Time??what is that. lol
I would like to use mine to setup as just an alarm center to use with door and window sensors but never seem to have the time to fiddle with it. I never seem to have time off lately...and when I do I'm posting here. Haha

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a raspberry PI that I have feeding a little 10 lumen pico projector which serves as my projection clock at night :) PIs are neat little devices!

I haven't tried a camera module with it because I read you can only get about 1 FPS with snapshots at native 5 megapixels (high frame rate video only supported up to 2 MP). In fact I think I would only want one for the novelty :cool:, as it can't do much of anything my IP cams can't already do better :sad2:

fundean

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
any chance you could share that pico clock??? that is a cool project since I use a projection clock...

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
any chance you could share that pico clock??? that is a cool project since I use a projection clock...
I could, but it wouldn't be worth anything. I stopped using it a while ago as it lit up the room too much, and the weather source for its weather readout stopped working.

fundean

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thats a bummer!
sounds like such a cool project

cam235

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I read you can only get about 1 FPS with snapshots at native 5 megapixels (high frame rate video only supported up to 2 MP).
I know this is an old post, but just add about the Raspberry Pi camera: If you're willing to live with full HD video (1920x1080) you get 30 fps, and 1280x720 is available up to around 90 fps (or 120 with overclocking). That full-HD output is internally downscaled from nearly the entire sensor, so it can be higher quality than you might guess from a "2 MP" label.

Megapixel count does not tell the full story about image quality. It's a 1/4-inch sensor and is not as good at night as a typical IP camera, but with enough light you can get nice video out of it. Also, if you zoom into 1:1 pixels and compare, I find it is superior to any IP camera I have tried including 3MP + 4MP Hikvision, 4 MP Dahua, 5 MP AirLive, and various other lesser-known 5MP models. The reason is the internal Broadcom ISP was designed for the mobile phone market, where image quality is critical. Not least, the thing costs $25 plus a RPi, so for the same money, you can cover many more angles than you could if your camera costs 5x as much.

Last edited by a moderator: