Rack Mounted Cable Modem

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does anyone have any source info for a rack mounted cable modem? There does not seem to be much on the internet. Is this something that is commonly done? Or, is it just something that people are putting on a rack shelf? I think it would be more difficult to steal if it was bolted into a rack frame.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
just put it on a rack shelf, stealing a modem is no worry.. if they already broke your rack open and got that far they coulda cut your internet long time ago.

Most racks are fed with alot more bandwidth than a cable modem could ever provide..

copex

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Draytek have a rack mounting kit for there routers, you could also look at ubiquiti, mikrotik cisco all have suitable products. netger use to have a bussiness range that had a rack mounting kit

Reaction score
I just put mine on a "vented" shelf (you can see it above the monitor). Basically it's a shelf with slots running along the bottom. It allowed me to run a zip tie (velcro strap would also work) to hold out in place from sliding around due to the tension from the cables attached (coax, power, ethernet).

IMG_0055.jpg

Here is the shelf I used. If your modem is deeper than 6" you need a different one. That have all different sizes available that are vented.

http://www.amazon.com/NavePoint-Cantilever-Server-Vented-Shelves/dp/B008LQHV20

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just put mine on a "vented" shelf (you can see it above the monitor). Basically it's a shelf with slots running along the bottom. It allowed me to run a zip tie (velcro strap would also work) to hold out in place from sliding around due to the tension from the cables attached (coax, power, ethernet).

View attachment 10509

Here is the shelf I used. If your modem is deeper than 6" you need a different one. That have all different sizes available that are vented.

http://www.amazon.com/NavePoint-Cantilever-Server-Vented-Shelves/dp/B008LQHV20
Thanks for the link and the reference photo. I do have a vented shelf which is a 10" deep Tripp-Lite standard 1U x 19" wide. From your photo it looks like your modem is laid over and must be very nearly 1.75" thick, and has some sort of metal grid in front of it. Am I seeing that right? I think I can see the indicator lights? Mind If I ask who your internet provider is? Cable or Satellite?

Also I see you have color coded your Ethernet cables. Are they all "patch cables" or have you used separate connectors and bulk cables? The only bulk cable I have been able to find comes in blue, black, and white.

Nice cabinet BTW.

Reaction score
Yes the modem is laid on it's side. There is no metal grid. That is just the standard look. It's an old Motorola SB6120 cable modem (Comcast). The 2ft ethernet patch cables were ordered from Monoprice. I am going to color coding per use. Blue is wired to house wall jacks, yellow is items in basement, orange will be POE devices, red is cross connect, white is to my apple airport extreme router.

http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10232&cs_id=1023204&p_id=9865&seq=1&format=2

61MHmZ9wguL._SL1500_.jpg

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
I also use a vented shelf and place the modem on it then zip tie it down using the vent holes.

Bill

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I also use a vented shelf and place the modem on it then zip tie it down using the vent holes.

Bill
OK It looks like that is what I'm going to have to do as well. I think I have found a modem:

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Certified-Comcast-XFINITY-CM500-100NAS/dp/B00R92CEVU/ref=sr_1_2/177-7524283-1507148?ie=UTF8&qid=1462649107&sr=8-2&keywords=netgear+cm600

And, I can find a 10" vented rack shelf without much difficulty, but I am having trouble finding a 10" or 12" deep open frame (4 post) rack that I can securely bolt to my shed wall. I will be putting some other components on the frame as well (so the height can be anything between 8U to 12U. Still searching but maybe someone could point me in the right direction. I need a good solid frame that I can mount to a wood frame wall with multiple lag screws. The shorter depth seems to be the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The thing about a cabinet is that it has to be ventilated with electric fans. My new (not yet purchased security system), will be in two buildings. The building that houses the PC will be in a rack enclosure and it will be ventilated, and locked. My shed will house only the cable modem, and a switch. Neither building has a temperature control. In the summer the inside temps gets very hot. Rather not do anything to make the situation any worse.

I'm thinking about this pivot rack:

http://www.kendallhoward.com/8U-Pivot-Frame-Wall-Mount-Rack. Open rack pivot.jpg
This wall mount is 12" deep. Does anyone else have any experience with this type of rack? Seems like a good idea.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.