Quick opinion needed - replacing old Q-see

Kurtis500

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I replacing a 6 camera system at home. Nothing intense in terms of needs, just want to keep a good eye out and add features if possible from the last (crappy) system. Old system was a 600tvl Q-see.

So Im thinking a Reolink 8ch 4 camera system off Amazon then pickup two cameras or buying a refurbished i7, Blue Iris and some cameras.

Heres the computer from amazon https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Optiplex-980-Professional-Refurbished/dp/B01M4JC0BD/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1505018000&sr=8-2&keywords=i7+desktop
The beauty of a new computer is Im replacing a 10 year old iMac that we rarely use, so if a new PC is a part of the best approach..win-win. Of course the PC isnt the top of the line, but we dont use the computer there really anyways

I have a couple cams that need good HD then a couple that could run low quality. So 1 to 4 mp variation. Like these two together: cheapy lower res- https://www.amazon.com/ZOSI-1280X720-outdoor-waterproof-Support/dp/B01DBO8HQK/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1505018518&sr=8-7&keywords=onvif+cameras
Better camera w/zoom: https://www.amazon.com/HDBW4431R-ZS-2-7mm-12mm-Megapixel-Surveillance-International/dp/B074K8BTZG/ref=sr_1_5?rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1505018600&sr=8-5&keywords=onvif+4mp&refinements=p_85:2470955011

Im fairly internet/computer savvy, but i dont want to be playing with it all the time.

I dont need the top shelf stuff, but best bang for the buck and Ive read a lot about Blue Iris that seems attractive..

Even if the response is brief, any are appreciated.

Thanks!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I replacing a 6 camera system at home. Nothing intense in terms of needs, just want to keep a good eye out and add features if possible from the last (crappy) system. Old system was a 600tvl Q-see.

So Im thinking a Reolink 8ch 4 camera system off Amazon then pickup two cameras or buying a refurbished i7, Blue Iris and some cameras.

Heres the computer from amazon https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Optiplex-980-Professional-Refurbished/dp/B01M4JC0BD/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1505018000&sr=8-2&keywords=i7+desktop
The beauty of a new computer is Im replacing a 10 year old iMac that we rarely use, so if a new PC is a part of the best approach..win-win. Of course the PC isnt the top of the line, but we dont use the computer there really anyways

I have a couple cams that need good HD then a couple that could run low quality. So 1 to 4 mp variation. Like these two together: cheapy lower res- https://www.amazon.com/ZOSI-1280X720-outdoor-waterproof-Support/dp/B01DBO8HQK/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1505018518&sr=8-7&keywords=onvif+cameras
Better camera w/zoom: https://www.amazon.com/HDBW4431R-ZS-2-7mm-12mm-Megapixel-Surveillance-International/dp/B074K8BTZG/ref=sr_1_5?rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1505018600&sr=8-5&keywords=onvif+4mp&refinements=p_85:2470955011

Im fairly internet/computer savvy, but i dont want to be playing with it all the time.

I dont need the top shelf stuff, but best bang for the buck and Ive read a lot about Blue Iris that seems attractive..

Even if the response is brief, any are appreciated.

Thanks!
Reolink is garbage and has issues with blue Iris...that PC is garbage and not suitable for blue Iris..it's an 8 year old machine.. it's a rip-off.. start reading the forum before you waste your money...

Kurtis500

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I dont do PC...At all, but Ill use them for the camera system and etc. Already looked through various threads and noticed comments about i7 over i5, however I see a number of i5 recommendations.. here here with comments to go i7 if possible. Clearly theres a difference. Have a good reference for a cheap computer dedicated for 6-8 cameras on Blue Iris? I saw your comments about 300-500 dollar range or was that just the processor

BTW, what makes Reolink garbage? What am I not seeing

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I dont do PC...At all, but Ill use them for the camera system and etc. Already looked through various threads and noticed comments about i7 over i5, however I see a number of i5 recommendations.. here here with comments to go i7 if possible. Clearly theres a difference. Have a good reference for a cheap computer dedicated for 6-8 cameras on Blue Iris? I saw your comments about 300-500 dollar range or was that just the processor

BTW, what makes Reolink garbage? What am I not seeing
Macs use intel as well... there are 8 generation of i7 you are looking at the first... garbage... its not worth 50 let alone 250.. 300 for the entire PC..read those threads and specific models...

you're missing that reolink is garbage and also does not allow iframe interval settings you will have issues with it and blue Iris..look at dahua and hikvision...read this forum all of this has been discussed a million times

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Welcome Kurtis,

I see you haven't done many posts thus I wanted to share with you some good notes a few of us have been taking:

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Also, I would rather see you with something better than Reolink, thus please do look at the following and add it to your options ( hopefully replace that Reolink option with this one ;-)
[ edit @Kurtis500 forgot to drop the link: FYI - Some local Costco B&M have a Lorex / Dahua OEM 4K 6x camera kit and 8 port NVR for $800]

While discussing options - I would highly recommend 1080p+ res cameras - 720p cameras have significantly shorter ID distances, and do remember domes degrade under direct UV exposure and have glare issues - so not so good for outdoors.

Have fun joining us here.

Last edited:

Kurtis500

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you!

So far I have peiced together these (potential) items. Im trying my best to keep cost down, somewhat comparable to the reolink system plus 2 cams.

Here's a possible system for the Blue Iris - DELL OPTIPLEX 9020 i5 Quad Core DESKTOP
and - Dell 7010 i-5 desktop FAST !!!

Cheaper the better, but whatever is best. Let me know if these desktops look OK for a home system.

As for the cameras, I could use some help here....

1) I have power and BNC cables in place already from the old Q-see. I think the BNC is no longer needed but I have power. Question is, will using the 110vac outlets and transformers for the cameras net me any gains? Or just run PoE from a switch like this - https://www.amazon.com/BV-Tech-Port-Switch-Ports-Uplink/dp/B005GAATOG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1505189574&sr=8-3&keywords=poe+ip+camera+switch

2) Besides Blue Iris software, should I add any hardware to the computer system?

3) My camera needs are different from one to the next. I would like to get up to 8 eventually. 2 of the cameras can be lower res and low fps. One is simply to check the inside of the garage to be sure the garage doors are down. No real hd need there. Another camera is monted on top of the house (28ft) looking backwards and good resolution will be important. 2 are shorter range due to walls, but nightime is important. Question is, can I just use various cameras for each need and spend less on one low res camera and put more $ to the higher res? A couple of them Id like audio recording capability as well. Here are some cameras I think will do the trick:

High res- https://www.amazon.com/HDView-Starlight-Outdoor-Back-illuminated-Platinum/dp/B00IEOEDSY/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1505189949&sr=1-1&keywords=dahua+starlight&refinements=p_85:2470955011
https://www.amazon.com/IPC-HDBW4431R-AS-Network-Support-International-Version/dp/B06WRWSWKN/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1505189972&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=dahua+4mp&psc=1&smid=A2R2FKB6A1T4CI
https://www.amazon.com/HDView-2-7-13-5mm-Motorized-Vari-Focal-Megapixel/dp/B008OINL9W/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1505190627&sr=1-4&keywords=dahua+bullet

low res - https://www.amazon.com/ZOSI-1280X720-outdoor-waterproof-Support/dp/B01DBO8HQK/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1505190132&sr=8-7&keywords=onvif+ip

Those are just a few Ive been looking at. Ive read a lot about Dahua and Hikvision...seem to be the best bang for the buck

BTW, my cameras did come in handy and were key in convicting this couple. I posted this on my facebook page and it went viral, over 11k views and it was on all 4 local news broadcasts. Kinda funny

Heres the diagrams Im working with..

Slide1.jpg Slide2.jpg

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
HI Kurtis,

Please note I over looked a link in a previous post here.. I have added it.

Also note 720p cameras really suck for getting enough pixels on a target to ID suspects ( 100 ppf is the standard to use ) ... please take some time to read the various notes - especially take a look at some of the distance calculations for various cameras on the link I posted previously ( you'll need to follow the link to a longer write which has the distance calculations )

Camera placement and quality of image capture is important - and while you can cover your house with fixed lens 720p cameras the suspects may have to be within 6-7 feet of the camera and look at it to get a good image for potential ID purposes.

Last edited:

Kurtis500

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Question, in the shop above I have a router already connected by cat5 to the house. If I use wall power for the cameras can I plug in to the router or do I need to run cat5 all the way back to the house?

I guess what i can't seem to figure out is do I have to have a poe switch if all the cameras use wall power? I'm getting a bit confused with the injectors, switches and etc. I don't want to order everything Friday and leave out an important piece or buy something not required.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Question, in the shop above I have a router already connected by cat5 to the house. If I use wall power for the cameras can I plug in to the router or do I need to run cat5 all the way back to the house?

I guess what u can't seem to figure out is do I have to have a poe switch if all the cameras use wall power? I'm getting a bit confused with the injectors, switches and etc. I don't want to order everything Friday and leave out an important price or buy something not required.
dont use wall power...use a poe switch..neat clean easy...and if you get a managed switch, even more control and options...

Kurtis500

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks again

Just to confirm, each camera will need a full length dedicated cat5e or cat6 cable? I have a 100ft underground pipe to the shop and wil be putting 3, maybe 4 cameras on that building so Im preparring to run 4 individual cat5e/cat6 cables through the underground pipe. Unless theres a device to bring the 4 PoE cables together in the shop, use a single line underground, then seperate them again in the house?

Also, is there any use relative to the ip cameras for the existing wifi router in the shop 100 feet away from the house where the 3 or 4 cameras will mount? It is hardwired to the house router with cat5e already. I dont think there is, but just asking in case I can use existing resources for something.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks again

Just to confirm, each camera will need a full length dedicated cat5e or cat6 cable? I have a 100ft underground pipe to the shop and wil be putting 3, maybe 4 cameras on that building so Im preparring to run 4 individual cat5e/cat6 cables through the underground pipe. Unless theres a device to bring the 4 PoE cables together in the shop, use a single line underground, then seperate them again in the house?

Also, is there any use relative to the ip cameras for the existing wifi router in the shop 100 feet away from the house where the 3 or 4 cameras will mount? It is hardwired to the house router with cat5e already. I dont think there is, but just asking in case I can use existing resources for something.
Hi Kurtis,

If you are picking up an NVR with an integrated PoE switch - then having each ip PoE camera directly connected to that switch would be best. The spec is 100M or 328 feet iic - so you should be fine in terms of distance.

Thus if you can bring the wires through that pipe to the shop easily enough that would be preferred.

If you can not you can connect the cameras in the shop to a smaller PoE switch and "uplink" to your house LAN - ideally isolated VLAN on a managed switch - and connect that to your NVR. As you can already see it is getting more complex this way, and you are adding more parts to the system - thus increasing the chances of failure.

As with any internet networking technology there are options, the simplest is often the best route - thus one cat5e/cat6 wire from the NVR switch port to each camera is preferred.

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks again

Buy a (at least 8 port, probably 4 poe/4non poe Will be cheapest... But might want to go with 8 poe port for future) POE switch for the shop (as long as the cameras you get can be powered by POE).

Plug the 100ft underground cable into the up link port of the new switch. Then, plug your wifi router into one of the switch ports, and plug all of the cameras into the POE ports. No need to run cables from the house to shop for each camera. Yes, each camera will need its own cable... But they can all plug into your new poe switch in the shop instead of a switch or your router inside the house.

Last edited:

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Also, if you decide you don't want to buy a new switch, and are happy to Power the cameras with a separate power cable into the wall (I wouldn't recommend that.... Poe is really nice) then you actually could plug the cameras data cable directly into the wifi router in your shop. Definitely beats running 4 new cables thru your underground pipe back Into the house.

Kurtis500

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Buy a (at least 8 port, probably 4 poe/4non poe Will be cheapest... But might want to go with 8 poe port for future) POE switch for the shop (as long as the cameras you get can be powered by POE).

Plug the 100ft underground cable into the up link port of the new switch. Then, plug your wifi router into one of the switch ports, and plug all of the cameras into the POE ports. No need to run cables from the house to shop for each camera. Yes, each camera will need its own cable... But they can all plug into your new poe switch in the shop instead of a switch or your router inside the house.
Thats what I was thinking could be done. A 4/4 POE port in the shop and another one in the house for the house cameras. Then the single Cat5e cable running underground to the house router which connects the 2 PoE ports. I attached a diagram.

Also, whats the issue with the Dahua "international version" versus the other when using Blue Iris? Ive read issues about firmware upgrade problems, but is it only for non-Blue Iris or OMVIF? Is there a reason to steer cler wit hthis setup?

Slide1.jpg

Last edited:

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I would actually do it like this....

IMG_20170913_123046126.jpg

And consider getting gigabit switches as well.