Questions regarding 5241-z12e (Zoom and substreams)

f1restarter

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have just started testing out my recent purchase 5241-z12e from Andy which I am planning to utilize for LPR duty.

First of all, what an incredible cam. Don't chase Megapixels!!! :)

This has the new GUI which I am familiar with from my 4K-T.

Question #1: I am not able to zoom and focus from within Blue Iris . This is not a big deal I suppose, as I will not have to adjust that once the camera has been installed in its permanent location. But my 5442T-ze varifocal is able to zoom/focus from BI console and UI3. BI recognizes the cam as generic/onvif along with all my other cams. Is there anything I have to enable in BI to make this work?

Question #2: Do you use substreams for this cam and if so, why? My other outdoor cams (2x5442 and 1x4K-T, I am using direct-2-disk and substreams (recording 1080p/2mp substreams 24/7 and IVS triggers for full res. recordings.) but as this is only a 2mp cam, does it give any benefits to enable substreams?
I simply want to be able to review LPR footage based on the timestamp of my other cameras. Then I may just set BI recordings to continous? My thoughts are as long as direct-2-disk is enabled, there is no CPU saving to achieve by enabling substream. Later on I may try out codeproject or similar to record plates but from what I read it seems too complicated/unreliable at this point.

Swampledge

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Make sure you have zoom enabled on the PTZ controls tab of the camera settings. I have actually disabled it for my cameras of that type because I occasionally unintentionally change the zoom when accessing through UI3.

I don’t have my LPR cameras set to record continuously because there are long periods of time with no traffic going by, so it’s about saving storage disk space.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
I have mine set to 24/7 record sub stream unless triggered. This doesn't take up much more space and gives me another camera angle, even if at a lower resolution.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Make sure you have zoom enabled on the PTZ controls tab of the camera settings. I have actually disabled it for my cameras of that type because I occasionally unintentionally change the zoom when accessing through UI3.

I don’t have my LPR cameras set to record continuously because there are long periods of time with no traffic going by, so it’s about saving storage disk space.
I have learned to use ESC when viewing in BI because I have accidentally changed zoom and focus settings when trying to click to exit.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is best practice to only do focus and zoom within the camera GUI. It is just a bonus if you can do it in BI as that is intended for a PTZ (thus it is in the PTZ controls) and not for a set it and forget it varfocal. Especially with an LPR camera where you could accidently change focus and zoom.

You still want to use substreams as it will bring down CPU (unless it is only a few cams on a new generation chip LOL).

The main stream is used for:
  • direct-to-disc recording
  • single-camera live viewing and recording playback
  • audio
The sub stream is used for everything else:
  • multiple-camera viewing
  • motion detection
  • alert snapshots
  • etc.
For LPR, we would recommend continuous recording - that car is in and out of the field of view so fast that in certain situations it may not trigger and you would hate to miss a chance to read the plate.

Crank the D1 resolution to 1024 bitrate and it will use minimal storage yet still allow you to read a plate if it didn't trigger to mainstream.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Sometimes, when setting up a new camera, the " Find/Inspect" function returns a result that does not include PTZ function detected ( sometimes) So it may not enable it..I wish i could remember which cam i had tht issue with at " The Condo"
it was either the 5241 z12 or the Jidetech(HIK Oem) PTZ....
I experimented both ways with Substreams...Once I figured out a little more about BI....I was able to leave it on and adjust the trigger and pre-record times to get good results.
But for sure I left Substreams off when I was missing out on Plates.
Once I dialed in the camera, and figured out if I was going to use color/day and B&w/night.
I went with B&W 24/7 due to Focus hunting and loss of plate reads in transition from night to day.

1696610268324.png
1696610300783.png

Last edited:

f1restarter

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It is best practice to only do focus and zoom within the camera GUI. It is just a bonus if you can do it in BI as that is intended for a PTZ (thus it is in the PTZ controls) and not for a set it and forget it varfocal. Especially with an LPR camera where you could accidently change focus and zoom.

You still want to use substreams as it will bring down CPU (unless it is only a few cams on a new generation chip LOL).

The main stream is used for:
  • direct-to-disc recording
  • single-camera live viewing and recording playback
  • audio
The sub stream is used for everything else:
  • multiple-camera viewing
  • motion detection
  • alert snapshots
  • etc.
For LPR, we would recommend continuous recording - that car is in and out of the field of view so fast that in certain situations it may not trigger and you would hate to miss a chance to read the plate.

Crank the D1 resolution to 1024 bitrate and it will use minimal storage yet still allow you to read a plate if it didn't trigger to mainstream.

Yeah, I currently have my cam temporary mounted and wanted to dial in the zoom while viewing UI3 from my cellphone. The GUI does not work very well using a phone :) I was just curious why my 5442t-ZE will allow me to zoom/ focus from BI while this one doesn't even with the same config in BI. Probably because of the newer GUI.

Regarding substreams: On my other outdoor cams I am using the "2nd substream" set to h264, 15fps, 1920x1080 and 4096kbps. That's why I was asking as the mainstream of this 5241-z12 is almost the same as my substream on my other cameras and I can just leave on continous + alerts with mainstream only enabled. With the limited number of cameras I currently have (7 in total), my cpu is running less than 10% with the BI console closed.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah in that case if you are running that high of a substream. I am sure you can change the protocol and find the one that will allow focus and zoom to change.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you have enough compute power you certainly can run Mainstream 24/7...I've done it...nothing worong with that.
All of us did until substreams came a thing!

I am glad of substreams because I bought a cheap 4th gen thinking oh I will only have a few cams. I would have updated the computer several times over to keep up with all my cams without substreams LOL

f1restarter

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
On the PTZ tab in BI, choose Dahua New v4, see if that allows PTZ controls to work.
But I would disable the PTZ controls once you get it dialed in.
Yes, I can confirm that this worked.

Very happy with how the paintjob turned out. Painted the white parts the same colour as my garage and left the black as it was. Stealth look :) 20231007_162443.jpg

f1restarter

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So what paint did you use? Did you prime it first? Looks great.
I used a "plastic paint" rattle can. Antracit colour. First scuffed the areas to be painted with emery cloth before wax&grease remover and 3 coats with this. No primer this time. I have previously done it like this and it has held up good.87718.jpg