Questions about a new set up

matchewready

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'll start by saying I'm new to the whole security camera world, here is what I ordered so far

BV-Tech 9 Port PoE+ Switch (8 PoE+ Ports | 1 Uplink Port) – 120W – 802.3af/at

Amcrest IP5M-T1179EW-28MM)

SV3C 3Megapixels IP Camera

Amcrest Cat5e Cable 100ft Ethernet POE Cables 4 pack

Plan on using Blue Iris

Included is a pic of my cable internet modem/router, my question is when I come out of the BV tech switch will I need to go directly to my computer or is it possible to connect at the cable modem and then to the pc? if not, my pc is connected using Wi-Fi so I have an ethernet port open should I plug the uplink cable form the switch directly to this port?

I'll be buying more cameras just thought I'd try a couple of different models to see what works best, I'm considering the Reolink RLC 410 5mp camrea any opinions on it or the ones I ordered? Also anything I'm missing here hardware wise to run this on my PC/Blue Iris?

20201219_100534.jpg

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Avoid the SV3C just like the Reolink. Both are low end consumer grade cameras. Daytime will look fine, but night video will be the pits, especially with motion. Motion will be basically just blur and totally useless.

I'd also avoid the BVtech switch. Their power supplies are so weak that they won't power up under load, like after a power failure.

Look in the Wiki in the blue bar at the top of the page. Look around here, on IPCT, for reviews and how to's for everything. Learn and ask questions before spending money on things you might not understand fully.

Example - don't chase megapixels, chase sensor size. A 4MP camera will outperform an 8MP camera with the same size sensor, especially at night because twice as much light reaches each pixel in the 4MP versus the 8MP.

Example - If you can't control shutter speed, such as in Reolink and SV3C, you can't reliably get night time video without blurred motion. A shutter speed of 1/60, 16.66ms, is about the slowest with 1/120 being better still.

matchewready

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice, I've read through the wiki and cliff notes but still couldn't find exactly how the switch connects with my pc. Like I mentioned my cable modem is also my router, so do not connect the switch to it at all, got it!

So uplink cable from switch goes directly to my pc/ethernet port, right? That said my pc wifi has been a little flakey lately so I was going to just use a cat5 cable connecting to my only pc network port. Would installing another nic be my only option to connect the switch to pc? I know my questions are a bit redundant but I've never see any vids/pics or threads that actually address the "switch to pc connection/options"

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You will be sorely disappointed if you leave your BI pc connected to the network via Wifi. Run an Ethernet cable.
All of your cameras should run directly to the POE switch.
Then one cable from the POE switch uplink port to the BI computer.
Then another cable from the POE switch to the router.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I use two switches. One dumb NON-POE switch, it is connect to the router. The BI PC is connected to the NON-POE switch, the POE switch is connected by the uplink port to the NON-POE switch. The cameras are connect to the POE switch.

In normal operations NO video traffic pass through the router. My router has only two network connections, one to the modem and one to a dumb switch.

My SV3C camera went into the garbage, it was a cheap piece of junk. Would not work at night. I do use cheap cameras but not for critical night application.