Question regarding updating old equipment.

NightHawk

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello All!

I have an old ADT coax system with two cameras that was installed about eight years ago. I would like to update my system to have newer cameras and a newer DVR.

However, a problem I ran into, is that while I can reuse the existing coax cabling, I am unsure as to the power supply requirements. I say this, because the power being supplied is 12v DC with 1A. This is confusing to me as DC power is usually supplied via a pin in the center and a male to female attachment is what joins them.
In my case, it appears to be DC power supplied over an AC connector.

Ultimately, would I be able to use the same power cabling if I purchased new cameras that were AC/DC compliant, or would I have to pay someone to rerun the power cabling which means I can’t just reuse my existing infrastructure?

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How about using these adaptors - many of us use them for some hard to rewire locations...You just need the BNC portion and it provides POE to a new IP POE camera and the power cable of your existing wiring isn't used...

that is provided you are ready to make the jump from analog cameras to IP cameras...if not, then add these to the ends...

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Hello All!

I have an old ADT coax system with two cameras that was installed about eight years ago. I would like to update my system to have newer cameras and a newer DVR.

However, a problem I ran into, is that while I can reuse the existing coax cabling, I am unsure as to the power supply requirements. I say this, because the power being supplied is 12v DC with 1A. This is confusing to me as DC power is usually supplied via a pin in the center and a male to female attachment is what joins them.
In my case, it appears to be DC power supplied over an AC connector.

Ultimately, would I be able to use the same power cabling if I purchased new cameras that were AC/DC compliant, or would I have to pay someone to rerun the power cabling which means I can’t just reuse my existing infrastructure?
The negative power supply line has frayed insulation . . . :wave: