Question on DS-2CD2342WD-I

Viking967

n3wb
Reaction score
I was trying to send a PM to Fenderman to ask this question, but I just joined today and the site rules won't let me. I'm already 5 hours in on research and found that I have LOTS to learn.

Anyway, I'm setting up home security system and so far I've decided to NOT to go with the Amcrest POE cameras that I had initially planned on buying (due to all of the negative feedback on this board from folks unlike me that clearly know what they are doing). Then I spent about an hour deciding whether to get the Huisun PTZX cameras that folks were raving about last year, but then saw they had some failures. So I'm close to deciding to go with Hikvision but had a question for the forum.

I'm finding it difficult to distinguish the differences between the Hikivision models, even after checking out their website and reading a few of the threads that tried to explain. In one of Fenderman's posts he recommended this camera to someone:

http://overseas.hikvision.com/en/Products_accessries_158_i5605.html#prettyPhoto

But I've also seen this one recommended too:

http://www.hikvision.com/us/Products_1_10508_i7593.html

For Fenderman or any forum memebers: Which one would you recommend and why? And would you recommend I buy from Milkisbad or another site?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. I'm trying not to be "that guy" that simply posts "which is the best camera out there" without doing any research :)

Thanks,

John

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@Viking967 Dont get a dome you will likely have issues with ir refection..the turret design is best....
This camera has been ordered by two members..https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Dahua-2MP-H265-WDR-IR-Eyeball-2-7mm-12mm-motorized-lens-Starlight-Network-Camera-IPC-HDW5231R/32746293334.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.WcubsQ
I would wait for their reviews...if the specs are close to accurate it promises to be an excellent value at 170..
https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/14838-Do-you-like-or-dislike-any-of-these-Yes-no-and-why

Viking967

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the quick reply, Fenderman. So I'll wait for the reviews, but have two more questions: (apologies if they are pretty simple for the folks on this forum):

(1) I was initially looking at the Amcrest 4MP Bullet POE cameras (Amcrest ProHD Outdoor 4MP POE Security Bullet Camera - IP66 Weatherproof, 4MP (2688 TVL), IP4M-1025E (White)) - before learning they're crap - and was going to get 9 if them to cover the perimeter of my house based on the 83 degree field of view. If I went with this camera instead, but mostly used them in a fixed state, how do I determine the degree field of view?

(2) I was looking at the Hikvision NVR (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L0XI7TW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A19093RR57KB15). If these Dahua cameras get good reviews, would it be better to go with a Dahua NVR? And if so, any recommendations that aren't too much beyond the price of the Hikvision?

John

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Viking967

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, crowder - I'll check it out. I also posted a response to Fenderman that was denied by the administrator (not sure why?) so I'll try again....

Viking967

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman - I'll wait for the reviews on that camera before buying anything. Two other questions for you or the other forum members:

(1) I was originally going to buy nine of these fixed view POE bullet cameras for the perimeter of my house (https://amcrest.com/amcrest-4mp-poe-video-security-camera-ip4m-1025e-white.html) - before learning from this forum that Amcrest is crap. I had selected nine of them because of the 83 degree field of view combined with the angles and the perimeter of my house. If I eventually buy the Dahua cameras instead, but mostly use them for fixed viewing, I can't quite determine the field of view based on the specs?

(2) I was going to go with the Hikvision NVR (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L0XI7TW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A19093RR57KB15). If I end up with the Dahua cameras, should I select a different NVR and if so, do you guys have a recommendation? Preferably one at ~$600.

Thanks!

John

wcrowder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks, crowder - I'll check it out. I also posted a response to Fenderman that was denied by the administrator (not sure why?) so I'll try again....
Fenderman is one of the most helpful guys on this forum, and from my interaction with him is an all around good fellow. I'm sure that was just a network bug or pebkac... If you watch the site I posted after it gets dark you will see the difference between the glassed domed camera and the rest with "almost" direct lenses, the domed camera will get foggy. Now glass domes can be done, but not at our price point, with no real benefit.

Viking967

n3wb
Reaction score
Crowder - thanks - I checked out the cams last night and totally see what you're saying.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@Viking967 I dont see any post in moderation or know why it was denied, it must have been automatic...If you want lots of flexibility in an NVR, consider pc based NVR software like blue iris.

Last edited by a moderator:

Viking967

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, Fenderman - it must have just been a system glitch.
Yes I plan to buy Blue Iris based on what I've learned on this board. Are you saying that using Blue Iris makes the selection of the NVR less important, or just commenting that it is a good tool?
Thanks!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, Fenderman - it must have just been a system glitch.
Yes I plan to buy Blue Iris based on what I've learned on this board. Are you saying that using Blue Iris makes the selection of the NVR less important, or just commenting that it is a good tool?
Thanks!
Blue iris runs on windows pc..its an alternative to an NVR. You cannot install it on a standalone nvr.

Viking967

n3wb
Reaction score
okay I think I'm confused. I knew Blue Iris installed on a PC (or with an app on a tablet I thought), but I didn't realize it takes the place of an NVR - I thought you still need an NVR to record and to power the POE cameras

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
okay I think I'm confused. I knew Blue Iris installed on a PC (or with an app on a tablet I thought), but I didn't realize it takes the place of an NVR - I thought you still need an NVR to record and to power the POE cameras
No all you need is the blue iris pc and a poe switch...think of it as an NVR on steroids...

enilm

n3wb
Reaction score
If you go Blue Iris, will it run on a first generation i7? Do you guys have a separate computer just to run BI? I usually don't like leaving my computer running 24/7.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If you go Blue Iris, will it run on a first generation i7? Do you guys have a separate computer just to run BI? I usually don't like leaving my computer running 24/7.
BI should be run on a dedicated machine. An i7 first gen is a poor choice for two reasons. First, they are power hogs. Second, they dont support intel HD with quicksync which blue iris utilized for hardware acceleration...An i5-6500 syklake pc can be had for about 300 dollars and will be more than double as powerful for blue iris use and will be much more energy efficient, paying for itself...search the forum for optiplex or elitedesk.

enilm

n3wb
Reaction score
BI should be run on a dedicated machine. An i7 first gen is a poor choice for two reasons. First, they are power hogs. Second, they dont support intel HD with quicksync which blue iris utilized for hardware acceleration...An i5-6500 syklake pc can be had for about 300 dollars and will be more than double as powerful for blue iris use and will be much more energy efficient, paying for itself...search the forum for optiplex or elitedesk.
Sounds good. As you can see I haven't updated my computer for a while. I've been looking into building me a new generation i7 before I started looking into cameras.

But for now I'll take your suggestion and getting a separate PC just for BI.

Thanks

Viking967

n3wb
Reaction score
I didn't realize that I would need to get a separate PC just to run Blue Iris. Plus, I'm worried that without an NVR, adding 8-9 cameras to my home network on the same subnet would bring it down.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I didn't realize that I would need to get a separate PC just to run Blue Iris. Plus, I'm worried that without an NVR, adding 8-9 cameras to my home network on the same subnet would bring it down.
That is a common networking misconception. First if you plug the blue iris pc into the same switch (or cascading switch) as the cameras no traffic will pass through your router. None. Second, on a gigabit network, 9 cameras would hardly make a dent...

Viking967

n3wb
Reaction score

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, Fenderman. At the risk of exposing my complete lack of technical knowledge, I guess I'll admit I need to (also) figure out how to set up a gigabit network. All I know about that so far is that I have this router:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZUPOF7Y/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And if I go with Blue Iris, I'll need to research one of the computers to run it (that you referenced above)...
You dont need anything special..all you need is one or two gigabit switch(s) with enough POE ports to power your cams...