Question FPS

eggzlot

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So finally I wanted to "catch" something on my camera; nothing major, just someone who drove over my neighbors lawn and made some tire racks. And I *think* I figured out who, but the car stopped for about 15 seconds right where they would have driven onto the lawn. I had motion to stop recording if nothing after 20 seconds, so not sure why I do not see the car leaving the block, going on the lawn, etc. But a still car for 15 seconds then no more motion triggers or another 70 mins or so. This is frustrating. So this got me thinking, since the triggers are hit or miss (I've tinkered with them constantly for months and cant really dial it in - I've adjusted MAKE, sensitivities, etc) I am thinking to do continuous recording.

I have 750GB dedicated to recording (Could add another 100-200 GB if needed, got a 1 TB machine). I have 3 IP cameras I would want to record 24x7. Within BI I can see its at 30 FPS when I go to the Camera Properties > Video Tab. I was looking at online NVR Recorder Calculators and some said unless regulatory requirements are required at 30 FPS, 5 FPS is second. Should I change that Camera Properties > Video tab from 30 FPS to 5 FPS (or another lower #?). Do I change the FPS within the camera itself? And in general, for 3 IP Cameras to record 24x7, and if I would want to say house 3 weeks of stored data within 750-900 GB, what settings are suggested?

Just as a note, this is for residential security.

Thanks in advance

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@eggzlotFPS has no impact on storage space. Its all depended on bitrate. That said, it does impact cpu consumption and you dont need anything about 15fps.
You will not get anywhere near three weeks of 24/7 recordings...what is your camera bitrate set at?
Blue iris motion detection is not hit or miss, it is excellent if you set it up properly. There are TONS of options and as such, if you dont set the properly you will fail to record. Also, if your cpu consumption is close to 100 percent it can cause recordings to fail. What is your average cpu consumption? Post an image of your motion AND record tabs.
Also not that the fps settings in the video tab is irrelevant (it auto adjusts), you must adjust it in your cameras.

eggzlot

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Bit Rate is 3 Mbps
h264 format
1920x1080
output frame rate 25

Those are the settings on the cameras for "streaming profile 1"

how do I tell avg cpu consumption? I have a core i7 machine and its only dedicated for BI, I think 4 GB of RAM. Usually when I am using the machine its using 20-30% of CPU power.

Open to suggestions. End of day, my target is to store about 3 weeks (4 is better but a stretch) with 800-900 GB of storage for the 3 IP cameras

If there is a better motion I can do that, maybe my settings are off. Or I could do continuous.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Bit Rate is 3 Mbps
h264 format
1920x1080
output frame rate 25

Those are the settings on the cameras for "streaming profile 1"

how do I tell avg cpu consumption? I have a core i7 machine and its only dedicated for BI, I think 4 GB of RAM. Usually when I am using the machine its using 20-30% of CPU power.

Open to suggestions. End of day, my target is to store about 3 weeks (4 is better but a stretch) with 800-900 GB of storage for the 3 IP cameras

If there is a better motion I can do that, maybe my settings are off. Or I could do continuous.

Thanks in advance
if its normally 20-30 percent then thats fine..What cameras are you using? are they hardwired? if the cameras are dropping a connection you would also lose the recording.
Do you have the same settings for all your profiles? What profile was active at the time you had your issue? What are the settings for that profile? Also post an image of the area that is masked..
The only way to get that kind of storage on a 24/7 basis lower the birate by 1/3... you can try setting your cameras to a variable bitrate which will help significantly.
otherwise, buy a 4tb purple drive, they are cheap enough....

wcrowder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Like fenderman said, 4tb-6tb drives are the cost of a camera. Record continuously, "Create Alert list images when triggered". Blue Iris motion is great, wonderful, but you will miss things using it to trigger recording. Use 15 frames, 4096 bit rate 4tb, 3 cameras at 1080p should give you well over 20+ days. Don't' use more the 80% of the drive. Make sure you are recording direct to disk, there is absolutely no reason not to be. At the bottom of the record tab. "Record->Video file format and compression"...

iris.JPG

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

eggzlot

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions:
1) can the Purple drives be used in a PC? I dont see why not, but all literature I was reading was talking about using dedicated NVR boxes.
2) Its 8 GB Ram and yes usually around 20-30%, so not over taxing the system
3) The profile I showed was the profile in use at the time. That said, most of my profiles are identical, only 1 has big differences
4) I am using 2 Lilin and 2 KT&C Camera
5) This particular area where something was missed was NOT masked, its capturing all motion in that area
6) Cameras are hard wired via PoE and show no drop outs off the network (unless I manually took them down)

Just puzzles me that it picked up the car, though the car stopped and after 10 seconds the recording stopped and picked up 1 hour later (when car was obviously gone). that car had to have moved within that hour and I do not have it on the feed. Very annoying which is why I think I'll just upgrade to a larger drive and just continuously record using the settings you recommend.

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Like fenderman said, 4tb-6tb drives are the cost of a camera. Record continuously, "Create Alert list images when triggered". Blue Iris motion is great, wonderful, but you will miss things using it to trigger recording. Use 15 frames, 4096 bit rate 4tb, 3 cameras at 1080p should give you well over 20+ days. Don't' use more the 80% of the drive. Make sure you are recording direct to disk, there is absolutely no reason not to be. At the bottom of the record tab. "Record->Video file format and compression"...

View attachment 6939
Why not use more than 80% of HDD storage? I don't use BI at present so not familiar with requirements. Can you specify this in BI? I assume when the HDD gets full it erases the "first in" (oldest) data and writes over it??

eggzlot

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

View attachment 6939
I was told by others and also saw on the manufacture's website of my PC that the most it can handle is 4 TB due to Window's not being able to "see" anything over 4 TB. Is that true? If so, would the PC run the purple drives ok? I could get a 4 TB Purple drive.

Thank you

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I was told by others and also saw on the manufacture's website of my PC that the most it can handle is 4 TB due to Window's not being able to "see" anything over 4 TB. Is that true? If so, would the PC run the purple drives ok? I could get a 4 TB Purple drive...
Hmmm. My Win 8.1 box sees all of my WD 6GB Purple (less OS file system overhead and discrepancies in how drive space is computed)...

http://www.howtogeek.com/123268/windows-hard-drive-wrong-capacity/

Attachments

eggzlot

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
https://www.asus.com/us/Tower-PCs/M11AD/specifications/
do not pay attention to the 4 TB max listed on the spec? Stupid question, though maybe I need to pull apart the machine first, are there screws/cables etc to hook up the 2nd drive or do you usually need to buy all those pieces when installing a second drive in a tower?

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
do not pay attention to the 4 TB max listed on the spec? Stupid question, though maybe I need to pull apart the machine first, are there screws/cables etc to hook up the 2nd drive or do you usually need to buy all those pieces when installing a second drive in a tower?
That is most likely the largest drive they sell...not the largest drive the unit can address.

eggzlot

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ah good point. I was not reading it that way for some reason. but I see what you mean. That is a spec sheet for multiple pre built PCs. As far as screws and cables; assuming I just need to open it up and check it out?

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You will have to buy the mounting hardware and you will need a SATA cable. Make sure you have a spare cable from your power supply available.

As you may know, when you partition a drive that size you need to set it up as a GPT partition, not MBR. An MBR partition will only recognize up to 2TB.

I have the WD Purple 4 TB and after getting one bad one the current one works great.

eggzlot

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thanks
trying to get this ordered today so I can do it this weekend. For the hardware, just screws, or a plate too? I figured the SATA cable would likely be needed. I am hoping the power supply has a built in extra cable as I do not want to change out the power supply?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
thanks
trying to get this ordered today so I can do it this weekend. For the hardware, just screws, or a plate too? I figured the SATA cable would likely be needed. I am hoping the power supply has a built in extra cable as I do not want to change out the power supply?
open the box and check if there is a power cable, if you not can by a splitter.

eggzlot

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
that is what I figured. Guess I got work to do tonight. Was hoping to just take down the server and do this at one shot. I may order more parts and return what I do not use.

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
that is what I figured. Guess I got work to do tonight. Was hoping to just take down the server and do this at one shot. I may order more parts and return what I do not use.
As Fenderman said you are going to need to open the case before you can determine what you need. You can do it in one shot if you purchase the HDD, SATA cable and whatever it takes to get a power cable to the drive. If you have an available power cable make sure it has a connector on the end that will work on a SATA drive. If it should have a 4 pin molex connector you can buy a molex to SATA adapter. If no available power lead do what Fenderman said, buy a splitter for one of the existing cables.

You will need a mounting bracket for your case. If you have never installed an HD before you might want to browse the web for typical installation instructions.

eggzlot

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok so I finally got my new HD and misc stuff needed (SATA, screws) as I had power available already.

Please look at these 4 images, are they set up properly for 24x7 recording? Any other suggestion, comments, tweaks, etc?

The G Drive is the new 6 TB Purple drive installed in my PC. It showed up as 5.45 TB, so I just set max recording to 5 TB.

For the Bit Rate I need to change that in the camera, right? Any other settings like that to change to help maximize storage space?

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Bitrate is set in the camera.
This will work assuming your schedule is set to profile 2 or you have adjusted your other profiles similarly...One thing i would suggest it to keep motion detection enabled so that triggers are marked in the timeline..

eggzlot

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ok thanks. All profiles are the same. On some profiles I have interior cameras recording, on other profiles interiors are off. biggest focus is on exterior ones going 24x7
How sensitive should I set the motion detection?

attached is my exterior camera. I have 2 identical so I can change the properties on both. Make that output frame rate to 15? change anything else?

Attachments