Question for you Pros

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just get another cheap DVR...
You missed the very first post where he would like if to be viewable on 3 of 4 tvs in different rooms if needed not put DVR's on every tv just so he can switch to it every now and then

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Cheap DVRs are just that - cheap. It is something to consider though...
i get what you are saying but im kind of like him and dont like anything cluttering around my TV's hell not even wires or remotes. Id rather keep it clean and discrete.

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
i get what you are saying but im kind of like him and dont like anything cluttering around my TV's hell not even wires or remotes. Id rather keep it clean and discrete.
Another NVR must not have more cables or remotes than any other solution.
- With the fire tv stick you have no H.265 support, you have some lost frames and a delay. The WiFi antenna in the stick is also not the best. You have another remote control for the fire tv, or you have to use CEC, which does not work at every time or every tv.
- With a shield box you also have the cabling and another remote.
- With another NVR you could use multicast from the main NVR, have same cabling (hdmi and network and power cord) or get a WiFi capable NVR. A NVR41xx could is small and could easily be hidden behind the tv or someone else. And you would also have the possibility to record to the extra NVR if desired.

Slider

n3wb
Reaction score
How about HDMI-over-IP? One send box with multiple receivers making use of your LAN network. It does not requiere dedicated ethernet cables as the HDMI-over-UTP does.

Firefighter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If it's a close split, a regular hdmi splitter is fine even for 4 tvs.
Multiple locations/long distances? HDMI Over Cat5e system every single time.

IE, just this week we ran low volt in a 6,000 sq ft prewire.(House is framed, but not finished)
One of the things the client wanted was to see his CCTV system from every single tv in the house on a dedicated input.
So, From the network room ( Where the CCTV NVR is in a network rack ) will be an HDMI over cat5e splitter to 10 4K TVs. Even the 4k Camera runs are cat5e. Only time we run cat6 is for data drops.

Actually... Here's a photo of what we ran. It's not nearly done, so please keep that in mind.
Unrelated but Also a good opperunity to see the smurf tube (Orange tube) ran to each low volt box ( Tvs or data drops ) for any future pulling of wire that might be needed. This client was thinking ahead/smart.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4677/39960934361_f7528c9232_c.jpg

Why make it more complicated than it needs to be with multiple nvrs or whatever. If you can run the cat5e to the tv's then just do that and make an HDMI input on the tv dedicated to the cctv.
You attach the Cat5e to HDMI receiver box on the back of the tv/wall. It's never something that should be visible anyway.

Obviously your house is done, I know that.
If you have an attic or crawl space where you can drill through the top plate or bottom plate to gain access to the void behind the tv then your in business! And while you're at it run another cat5e ( Or Cat6 preferred ) and your tv will have a solid connection for streaming instead of wifi. 2 birds 1 stone.

Last edited:
Reactions: RJF

RJF

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If it's a close split, a regular hdmi splitter is fine.
Multiple locations/long distances? HDMI Over Cat5e system.

IE, just this week we ran low volt in a 6,000 sq ft prewire.(House is framed, but not finished)
One of the things the client wanted was to see his CCTV system from every single tv in the house on a dedicated input.
So, From the network room will be an HDMI over cat5e splitter to 10 4K TVs. Even the 4k Camera runs are cat5e. Only time we run cat6 is for data drops.
Out of curiosity, at each TV do you then convert the signal back to HDMI for input into the TV? And if so, what do you use for that? I wouldn't think you could just plug the ethernet cable in as an input, and you probably want to save the ethernet input on the TV for internet for Netflix and such. But this thread was the first I had ever heard of HDMI over IP.

One other question -- why not run Cat6 everywhere? Is there that much of a price difference, and would that price difference even matter for a client like this? I thought Cat6 was superior?

Firefighter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes for each tv will be a small box that the Ethernet Cable (Cat5e) plugs into which converts the signal to an HDMI cable and into the tv.

You could use something like this. I just found the first example so don't get picky on brand or price.
https://www.amazon.com/OREI-HDMI-Extender-Splitter-over/dp/B0719T49PM/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1517211233&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=HDMI+Over+cat5+4+way+splitter
If you needed 4 tvs to receive the signal for instance. You have a box at the source ( NVR ) that splits the signal over 4 cat5's and at the ends are recieving boxes that then convert the signal back to hdmi.

But also understand if your house is normal size you may get away with 50ft hdmi cables and not need something like this... This is just for long runs. It's hard to describe an instance where we would need this but I took a photo of me in just one part of this guys attic... I'm 6'5" and I look like a kid in just ONE PART of the attic of this house. lol. This isn't used for small homes.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4758/28181697219_ce0d442385_c.jpg

Cat6 is better if it's needed. But understand that this cat5e wire is 100% dedicated for this one very specific purpose of a image only. Never will it be something else.
Every single tv ALSO GOT CAT6. :) There's literally no reason to have ran a cat6 for the sole purpose of seeing his cctv.
There's no advantage. Each TV was already getting a Cat6 Cable for dedicated internet to it. lol
On top of this, Each TV box, Data box also got smurf tube so for some crazy reason he ever needed another wire ran it was no problem at all.
Also price can become a factor when you start running 5,000 feet of it for this specific purpose since it can be almost twice as much $$ lol.
All in all we probably ran 20,000 feet of cat5e, cat6, RG6 Coax etc... lol

Did I help you at all? Hopefully I did.

Here's your normal HDMI splitter you probably need for runs up to 30ft long. Problem is every hole you gotta make is bigger because the entire freaking connector has to fit...But you'd use one of these and cables up to 30ft long. 30ft not long enough? You can use bigger splitters that can send an image over a 50ft hdmi signal. Been there and done that.

https://www.amazon.com/HD-104-Powered-Splitter-Support-Outputs/dp/B007NKOC2W/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1517211564&sr=1-4&keywords=HDMI+4+way+splitter

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reactions: RJF

RJF

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes for each tv will be a small box that the Ethernet Cable (Cat5e) plugs into which converts the signal to an HDMI cable and into the tv.

You could use something like this. I just found the first example so don't get picky on brand or price.
https://www.amazon.com/OREI-HDMI-Extender-Splitter-over/dp/B0719T49PM/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1517211233&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=HDMI+Over+cat5+4+way+splitter
If you needed 4 tvs to receive the signal for instance. You have a box at the source ( NVR ) that splits the signal over 4 cat5's and at the ends are recieving boxes that then convert the signal back to hdmi.

But also understand if your house is normal size you may get away with 50ft hdmi cables and not need something like this... This is just for long runs. It's hard to describe an instance where we would need this but I took a photo of me in just one part of this guys attic... I'm 6'5" and I look like a kid in just ONE PART of the attic of this house. lol. This isn't used for small homes.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4758/28181697219_ce0d442385_c.jpg

Cat6 is better if it's needed. But understand that this cat5e wire is 100% dedicated for this one very specific purpose of a image only. Never will it be something else.
Every single tv ALSO GOT CAT6. :) There's literally no reason to have ran a cat6 for the sole purpose of seeing his cctv.
There's no advantage. Each TV was already getting a Cat6 Cable for dedicated internet to it. lol
On top of this, Each TV box, Data box also got smurf tube so for some crazy reason he ever needed another wire ran it was no problem at all.
Also price can become a factor when you start running 5,000 feet of it for this specific purpose since it can be almost twice as much $$ lol.
All in all we probably ran 20,000 feet of cat5e, cat6, RG6 Coax etc... lol

Did I help you at all? Hopefully I did.

Here's your normal HDMI splitter you probably need for runs up to 30ft long. Problem is every hole you gotta make is bigger because the entire freaking connector has to fit...But you'd use one of these and cables up to 30ft long. 30ft not long enough? You can use bigger splitters that can send an image over a 50ft hdmi signal. Been there and done that.

https://www.amazon.com/HD-104-Powered-Splitter-Support-Outputs/dp/B007NKOC2W/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1517211564&sr=1-4&keywords=HDMI+4+way+splitter
Awesome information. Thanks so much!!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.