Question about Clip storage

Skinny1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There used to be a place where you could adjust the length of time to keep Alert Clips. Here lately I am only getting about a half day's worth and they are deleting. I used to be able to go back about a week and a half. I have plenty of storage space so I don't know what is going on. I have looked it up on the Blue Iris PDF help file to no avail. Does anybody have any ideas or suggestions?

Thank you

Rick

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is in settings icon under clips and archiving. You must have accidentally changed the available amount. Or the drive has filled up with other things and you are over allocated.

Skinny1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Found the setting under Clips and Archiving and changed it to 7 days. It is still only saving the alerts clips for 12 hours. I have plenty of hard drive space too. It used to save them for several days. Got me!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Found the setting under Clips and Archiving and changed it to 7 days. It is still only saving the alerts clips for 12 hours. I have plenty of hard drive space too. It used to save them for several days. Got me!
Alerts are not clips, they are pointers to clips.

joedav1228

n3wb
Reaction score
Go into your camera:
Settings --> Record and down under options you'll see combine or cut video each and make that every 1 hour and whatever like 10 gigs.

Now go into your system settings (we'll assume you have a 200 gig hard drive and 100 gigs of free space for Blue Iris stuff in this example):
Settings --> Clips & Archiving --> New
Limit size: 10 gigs
Uncheck the "limit clip age"
Uncheck "delete" and check "move to folder stored"
Go into "stored" and limit size: 90 gigs and select delete

What this is going to do is.... the camera will make a new clip every hour on the hour. Those hour long clips will be saved in the "new" folder and after 10 gigs of hour long clips get saved then "first in last out" will get moved to the "stored" folder and once that folder gets up to 90 gigs the oldest clip will get deleted to make room for the newest one.

What I've just explained is very far from a useful setup it is just explained that way to give your brain something to make sense of all those settings. Some people like clips every hour, some people like clips every 24 hours. Some people only have 40 gigs on their main PC and want everything after that backed up on an external HDD or a Google drive sort of cloud.

Take a swing at it and if you have questions please come back and let us know. I'll be happy to help you tweak things.

Skinny1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Go into your camera:
Settings --> Record and down under options you'll see combine or cut video each and make that every 1 hour and whatever like 10 gigs.

Now go into your system settings (we'll assume you have a 200 gig hard drive and 100 gigs of free space for Blue Iris stuff in this example):
Settings --> Clips & Archiving --> New
Limit size: 10 gigs
Uncheck the "limit clip age"
Uncheck "delete" and check "move to folder stored"
Go into "stored" and limit size: 90 gigs and select delete

What this is going to do is.... the camera will make a new clip every hour on the hour. Those hour long clips will be saved in the "new" folder and after 10 gigs of hour long clips get saved then "first in last out" will get moved to the "stored" folder and once that folder gets up to 90 gigs the oldest clip will get deleted to make room for the newest one.

What I've just explained is very far from a useful setup it is just explained that way to give your brain something to make sense of all those settings. Some people like clips every hour, some people like clips every 24 hours. Some people only have 40 gigs on their main PC and want everything after that backed up on an external HDD or a Google drive sort of cloud.

Take a swing at it and if you have questions please come back and let us know. I'll be happy to help you tweak things.
Thank you for your reply. I set it up just like you said and we'll see what happens. I never had this issue before (Only keeping alert clips/markers for 24hours). I'll let you know how it goes.