Qsee 4MP camera firmware (Dahua OEM)

Dixit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have these 4MP QSee cameras (from the Costco NVR package) and I know they are basically Dahua OEM cameras. Trying to figure out what firmware from Dahua can be installed on these? I did similar thing to the QSee 3MP version and found the right Dahua firmware and was able to upgrade those without an issue.

Here is the info shot of the QSee 4MP from the WebUI

The model number of the QSee is a QCN8026B. Its basically a 4MP bullet style.
QSee support shows their firmware name of "QSee_IPC-HX4X2X-Themis_Eng_N_Stream3_V2.400.QS00.0.R.20161014".

So makes me think if I was to apply say the firmware that has the similar IPC-HX4X2X-Themis, it should work right? I tried the firmware off the Dahua firmware mod-kit thread where its filename was DH_IPC-HX4X2X-Themis.bin" which the version was 2.400.0000.34.R.20160801. However when applying it, it uploads it, then fails, and the QSee camera just reboots and is back to normal (no change).

Im wondering now looking at it, is the issue that Im trying to apply a DH based firmware, do I need to find a General one? If so, can someone show me where I can find the latest General or a firmware which we think should work? I dont care about the camera warranty anymore if I apply the firmware as Im no longer using the QSee NVR anymore anyways.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have these 4MP QSee cameras (from the Costco NVR package) and I know they are basically Dahua OEM cameras. Trying to figure out what firmware from Dahua can be installed on these? I did similar thing to the QSee 3MP version and found the right Dahua firmware and was able to upgrade those without an issue.
QSee support shows their firmware name of "QSee_IPC-HX4X2X-Themis_Eng_N_Stream3_V2.400.QS00.0.R.20161014".

So makes me think if I was to apply say the firmware that has the similar IPC-HX4X2X-Themis, it should work right? I tried the firmware off the Dahua firmware mod-kit thread where its filename was DH_IPC-HX4X2X-Themis.bin" which the version was 2.400.0000.34.R.20160801. However when applying it, it uploads it, then fails, and the QSee camera just reboots and is back to normal (no change).
Hi Dixit,

Dahua naming convention ( you may already know this, so this would be for those lurking here )
The "4" in the Hx4x2x represents the series, not 4MP.

What was the name of the .bin file which worked with the 3MP Q-see?
Did the original camera have IVS ( IVA ) features?
Do those cameras now have IVS features after the upgrade to Dahua OEM SW?

Note - 20160801 looks like a older version compared to 20161014 - if Q-see kept their date in step with Dahua.

Wondering if a hex difference would show anything.

From what I surmise Q-see makes minimal mods to the firmware - as I do not think they have a large staff of SW engineers, so I would be tempted to even keep their firmware on the cameras if you're not having much luck as they just change a few things ( port number, IVS -> called IVA by them )

Dixit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Dixit,

Dahua naming convention ( you may already know this, so this would be for those lurking here )
The "4" in the Hx4x2x represents the series, not 4MP.

What was the name of the .bin file which worked with the 3MP Q-see?
Did the original camera have IVS ( IVA ) features?
Do those cameras now have IVS features after the upgrade to Dahua OEM SW?

Note - 20160801 looks like a older version compared to 20161014 - if Q-see kept their date in step with Dahua.

Wondering if a hex difference would show anything.

From what I surmise Q-see makes minimal mods to the firmware - as I do not think they have a large staff of SW engineers, so I would be tempted to even keep their firmware on the cameras if you're not having much luck as they just change a few things ( port number, IVS -> called IVA by them )
Hello mat200, yes I know the 4 doesnt mean 4MP, but was just comparing the filenames of the QSee 4MP firmware file which has the section "IPC-HX4X2X-Themis" in there making me think if I used that type of firmware file it should work. I just tried one with General and it didnt work either, just tried "General_IPC-HX4X2X-Themis_Eng_P_Stream3_V2.600.0005.0.R.20161219" and it failed.

Yes it seems its older by looking at the dates of the file name, but the info screenshot shows older Web version when compared to other Dahua cameras that have older firmware. I think QSee just put that date on there from when they built it but not from the actual build of Dahua.

For my other system that had the 3MP Qsee Cameras (model QCN2023B), it took the following file just fine "General_IPC-HX5(4)XXX-Adreia_Eng_P_Stream3_V2.420.0009.0.R.20151106.bin". Granted its a different type of camera.
These 3MP ones are older and dont have any IVS features that Im aware of when looking at their WebUIs.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello mat200,..
For my other system that had the 3MP Qsee Cameras (model QCN2023B), it took the following file just fine "General_IPC-HX5(4)XXX-Adreia_Eng_P_Stream3_V2.420.0009.0.R.20151106.bin". Granted its a different type of camera.
These 3MP ones are older and dont have any IVS features that Im aware of when looking at their WebUIs.
Hi Dixit,

I wonder if the 4MP Q-see SW package has been code signed?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Here is the info shot of the QSee 4MP from the WebUI

Im wondering now looking at it, is the issue that Im trying to apply a DH based firmware, do I need to find a General one? If so, can someone show me where I can find the latest General or a firmware which we think should work? I dont care about the camera warranty anymore if I apply the firmware as Im no longer using the QSee NVR anymore anyways.
Have you looked here: https://www.dahuasecurity.com/support/downloadCenter/firmware?id=111

Dixit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Dixit,

I wonder if the 4MP Q-see SW package has been code signed?
No clue there. I just looked at the INSTALL script on the firmware, and I definitely have the right firmware as far as the IPC-HX4X2X since the script is identical to a General named firmware I just pulled with the exception last part has QSee as Vendor, where other one just has General.

The original QSee camera firmware is here if anyone wants to look at it.
https://q-see.s3.amazonaws.com/content/files/firmware/QC-FIX/IPC/QCN8026B/QSee_IPC-HX4X2X-Themis_Eng_N_Stream3_V2.400.QS00.0.R.20161014.bin

Going to look at this more see whats inside thats maybe breaking it. Im not a programmer so will be hard to adjust it if I find anything.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No clue there. I just looked at the INSTALL script on the firmware, and I definitely have the right firmware as far as the IPC-HX4X2X since the script is identical to a General named firmware I just pulled with the exception last part has QSee as Vendor, where other one just has General.

The original QSee camera firmware is here if anyone wants to look at it.
https://q-see.s3.amazonaws.com/content/files/firmware/QC-FIX/IPC/QCN8026B/QSee_IPC-HX4X2X-Themis_Eng_N_Stream3_V2.400.QS00.0.R.20161014.bin

Going to look at this more see whats inside thats maybe breaking it. Im not a programmer so will be hard to adjust it if I find anything.
Very Cool, please feel free to share the script and how you were able to find it.

Wondering if the installer has a stderr or stdout output which may give more info on what is happening.

Dixit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Very Cool, please feel free to share the script and how you were able to find it.

Wondering if the installer has a stderr or stdout output which may give more info on what is happening.
Just simply opened the BIN file using 7Zip, then just extracted and viewed the INSTALL script. Here is what the QSee one shows, everything is identical to the General named BIN file with the exception, QSee is replaced with General on the vendor line.

-------------------------
{
"Commands" : [
"burn dhboot-min.bin.img bootloader",
"burn dhboot.bin.img bootloader",
"burn kernel.img kernel",
"burn partition-x.cramfs.img partition",
"burn romfs-x.squashfs.img rootfs",
"burn pd-x.squashfs.img pd",
"burn user-x.squashfs.img user",
"burn custom-x.squashfs.img custom",
"burn web-x.squashfs.img web",