QNAP or Synology - NVR for 12 IP cameras

cagnaluia

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking for a network NVR that support up to 12 cameras (and onvif standard).

I prefer a NVR with own motion detection.

What do you suggest?
I can consider QNAP or Synology (2 to 5 disks) but even else are accepted.

thanks

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
why do you prefer the NVR do motion detection? its far more efficient to do it in the camera... I'd suggest a Hikvision NVR w/Hikvision Cameras or a Dahua NVR w/Dahua Cameras.

If your NVR has to process 12 video streams for motion its going to take a ton of power to churn through that 24/7/365..

Letting the cameras do the motion processing lowers the NVR's requirements and scales much better, costs less to run and purchase too.. but you get locked into a vendor, however getting locked into either Dahua or Hikvision isint really all that bad :) You can even wire up real motion sensors easy to get less false alarms

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I dont believe any of those units do their own motion detection....
That said there are benefits to having the NVR software do the motion detection albeit at a high cpu cycle cost. For example, I use blue iris and I can have different levels of motion detection for recording and alerts….so I don’t get bothered with the subtle motion but it ensures that I don’t miss any recording.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am a fan of the low power approach, I find video motion processing mostly annoying but another problem of scaling to alot of cameras is the storage so I very much see the value in having it. Its hard to justify the space to watch inside a locked storage room 24/7 and a few non-events being recorded is entirely acceptable.. but I dont want an sms alert telling me a big ass spider is on the camera.

For notifications/alerts I much rather go with physical alarm sensors and a more traditional alarm setup, much more reliable.. an annoying alert will just get ignored or disabled and then it is completely useless.. What if there is a spider on the camera so I muted the alarm and then someone broke in?

**edit**
before everyone ignored car alarms it was a common tactic to set off people's car alarms repeatedly at night until they get frustrated and shut it off, then they take what they want.. now days nobody pays any attention to a car alarm and automatically presumes the owner is having problems with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree that physical sensors are best for alerts, although for recording i like pixel based because it picks up movement that i want that a pir cannot detect. Adding PIR can be a real pain, thats why it would be nice if makes like dahua and hikvision would include a pir option on their outdoor cameras like Mobotix does. For now, setting high threshold for alerts eliminates false alarms from spider but would notify me if someone is at my door trying to bust open a lock....

Poine

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking for a network NVR that support up to 12 cameras (and onvif standard).

I prefer a NVR with own motion detection.

What do you suggest?
I can consider QNAP or Synology (2 to 5 disks) but even else are accepted.

thanks
Actually, the Safer NVR from Safer Science and Technology Co., Ltd. suits you. It supports up to 36 cameras, also supports Onvif protocol and Safer private protocol. Our factory now still use Safer's IP cameras and its own NVRs for security. The fact is that it works like a charm!

cagnaluia

n3wb
Reaction score
thx Poine,

maybe you right guys, it's better the in-camera motion detection to don't waste the bandwidth and cpu utilization.
I was thinking about a mixed surveillance system with different cameras brand so I was preferring motion detection in a single point (the NVR).

I just have in other site: Milestonesys with 60 Axis cameras and it works perfectly but behind there is a powerful Dell server, a windows operative system and xprotect software.
Too complex in the case above.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah mixed brand cameras has a few advantages, but given the wildly different configurations, features, compatibility issues, etc.. going with a fixed brand seems to have more advantages.. You can keep spares about (even use them in non-critical locations until needed elsewhere), learn a standard config and how to best tune the cameras easier, use the same software to view all the cameras directly and having a common firmware with identical settings and capabilities makes for less weird issues and compatibility problems.. You can also get a few of the same cameras with different lenses/fov and test them out in actual locations before committing to the rest of the cameras.. this way you know exactly what lens you want where and order accordingly.. You can also roll out firmware updates slowly testing for problems instead of finding killer bugs after the fact.

Having a network thats built around common devices is a smart design decision from an administration standpoint; nothing is worse than a network with different brand switches/routers/modems/access points everywhere because its a nightmare to maintain.. If end users have access to the cameras this is even more so; they will bitch and complain if they have to use different browsers and everything is not uniform.

Anyone looking for a IPCamera setup with more than 3-4 cameras should seriously consider a homogeneous setup, and research the brand you lock your self into prior to committing a bunch of money to it.. Few will find the advantages of a Mixed brand camera setup will exceed the disadvantages beyond this point.

Last edited by a moderator: