q see cam issue

Reaction score
hello; I was gifted an older q-see nvr and 13 cameras. I'm having trouble establishing connection between camera and nvr. I HAD 6 working with the others timing out or invalid pw/username and somehow, made them all that way! I can't see any way to reset the cameras (even took one apart) nor on the interface. I have the original nvr pw and can easily move around inside, can hook the cams up and see them drawing voltage but all status are red circles and no link speeds. I get the invalid username or pw alerts for them all, now. I tried going through the setup wizard hoping to re-establish everything but no go.

This is a 16 channel 4k Ultra nvr scan and view, and the cams are qcn8093B-N. Can't get QSee view on my Mac to pick them up either, but that's another issue for later. I'm pretty sure I have to re-initialize but trying to use the Ip config tool (it would not open on my Mac) from Dahua didn't work nor can I find any other tool to use. As noted, using a Mac, basically el capitan or I can startup in High Sierra. If anyone can help, it sure would be appreciated. I spent 6 frustrating hours yesterday trying various things and researching with no success and very little online support. All they mention is the cams will 'automatically' appear. Yeah, right. Until they don't.

Thanks in advance.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like Dahua OEM cameras based on this spec sheet I found ..

Should be a very nice decent camera once you get it going.

Dahua software tools should work with this .. iirc Q-see used a different web port for their cameras ( for those which had a web interface .. may need the older IE browser .. ) .. Dahua's config tool should work with these ..

We do have a Q-see thread so you may want to also check that.

1648924363057.png

an imagine on ebay shows it has a trap door on the bottom .. often there is a reset button there .. sometimes a memory card slot also ..

1648924537141.png
1648924617512.png

Attachments

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
hello; I was gifted an older q-see nvr and 13 cameras. I'm having trouble establishing connection between camera and nvr. I HAD 6 working with the others timing out or invalid pw/username and somehow, made them all that way! I can't see any way to reset the cameras (even took one apart) nor on the interface. I have the original nvr pw and can easily move around inside, can hook the cams up and see them drawing voltage but all status are red circles and no link speeds. I get the invalid username or pw alerts for them all, now. I tried going through the setup wizard hoping to re-establish everything but no go.

This is a 16 channel 4k Ultra nvr scan and view, and the cams are qcn8093B-N. Can't get QSee view on my Mac to pick them up either, but that's another issue for later. I'm pretty sure I have to re-initialize but trying to use the Ip config tool (it would not open on my Mac) from Dahua didn't work nor can I find any other tool to use. As noted, using a Mac, basically el capitan or I can startup in High Sierra. If anyone can help, it sure would be appreciated. I spent 6 frustrating hours yesterday trying various things and researching with no success and very little online support. All they mention is the cams will 'automatically' appear. Yeah, right. Until they don't.

Thanks in advance.
In the camera list Where you see the red circles, beside that is a pencil to edit each camera and input the NVR password in the spot where it says password?

Reaction score
In the camera list Where you see the red circles, beside that is a pencil to edit each camera and input the NVR password in the spot where it says password?
yes, I found that; it's about the only place to input anything. I tried the default 'admin admin', tried the NVR pw (which works as I can navigate around obviously), and 'admin blank'. None did any good. Sure looks like the cams have some sort of pw as well but darned if I know what it is nor where to input/change. I thought if I could reset the cams, it would go to the default or, pick up the NVR pw info. I haven't been able to figure out either. As noted to mat200, my cams don't have any compartment on the bottom. I even took apart the front piece where the sensors are. It has a cable connecting it to the motherboard but no obvious switch of any kind. Hard to believe resetting these cams would involve taking the thing apart and going through the power on, hold, power back off, count, power back on sequence I've seen for other cams. Any other advice that might work? I KNOW the cams were working when I got them but the original owner hasn't gotten back to me and I doubt she knows the system to this degree.

Reaction score
Looks like Dahua OEM cameras based on this spec sheet I found ..

Should be a very nice decent camera once you get it going.

Dahua software tools should work with this .. iirc Q-see used a different web port for their cameras ( for those which had a web interface .. may need the older IE browser .. ) .. Dahua's config tool should work with these ..

We do have a Q-see thread so you may want to also check that.

View attachment 124140

an imagine on ebay shows it has a trap door on the bottom .. often there is a reset button there .. sometimes a memory card slot also ..

View attachment 124142
View attachment 124143
other than that missing panel on the bottom, the pics LOOK like the ones I have. And I HAD some working upon initial hookup, changed something, knocked the working ones out. I tried downloading the Dahua config tool to my Mac; says I need Mac OSX 13 and above, which I have, and it would not open. Or rather, it crashed. Tried a couple of times, re-downloaded too, still did the same, so this tool isn't available to me. I DID read the 14 page thread re Qsee--it's where i got my only real info that maybe I can fix this so it works. That's where I got the original dl url for the config tool (which btw, is incorrect; the file, that is; I found the same though from two other sources, same file, better download, same 'crash upon opening'). So, where to go from here?

btw, I took the cam apart from the front and there's no obvious switch of any kind to reset anything. I know my reolink Ip cams have the reset as part of the pigtail, these only have a 12v female port and the ethernet female end. I can take pics of the insides/cams if it would help.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
other than that missing panel on the bottom, the pics LOOK like the ones I have. And I HAD some working upon initial hookup, changed something, knocked the working ones out. I tried downloading the Dahua config tool to my Mac; says I need Mac OSX 13 and above, which I have, and it would not open. Or rather, it crashed. Tried a couple of times, re-downloaded too, still did the same, so this tool isn't available to me. I DID read the 14 page thread re Qsee--it's where i got my only real info that maybe I can fix this so it works. That's where I got the original dl url for the config tool (which btw, is incorrect; the file, that is; I found the same though from two other sources, same file, better download, same 'crash upon opening'). So, where to go from here?

btw, I took the cam apart from the front and there's no obvious switch of any kind to reset anything. I know my reolink Ip cams have the reset as part of the pigtail, these only have a 12v female port and the ethernet female end. I can take pics of the insides/cams if it would help.
Thanks @brokensword

Please Feel free to post a quick new thread: "How I got my Q-see setup to work .. "

Remember each of us can make this journey a little better .. only if we share what we are learning in a meaningful manner.

fwiw - in general I have found Mac OS to be less supported for a lot of this security camera software ..

Reaction score
Thanks @brokensword

Please Feel free to post a quick new thread: "How I got my Q-see setup to work .. "

Remember each of us can make this journey a little better .. only if we share what we are learning in a meaningful manner.

fwiw - in general I have found Mac OS to be less supported for a lot of this security camera software ..
mat; I haven't fixed anything yet, but I'd be glad to start one of those 'how I got my Qsee to work' if or when that ever happens. Still need help. Spent 2 more hours today and at least got a new pw and email for the unit.

So, any other resources? Hard to believe I can't find any other Qsee 'how to initialize camera' pages as this forum was about the only one. Really hoping someone has done this before to at least give me a clue how to proceed.

Reaction score
Thanks @brokensword

oh, and the config tool did NOT work on my Mac; it crashed and I have the prerequisite OSX. I feel that would definitely do the trick if I could get it to work.

msquared

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The older Q-See kits were packaged as plug and play, if everything is default, you should not have to add the camera user and password. But did you try admin/123456 or admin/12345? You do edit the camera password in the NVR setup tab, click the pencil under modify. IIRC, the QCN8093B may be based on the Dahua IPC-HFW1831E. Both cameras were available on market about the same time, and this was the only (first?) 8MP camera with a 1/1.8 (Q-See's "1/2").
@mat200 was the picture from ebay supposed to be this model? the lens face of the camera in the ebay picture does not match the lens face of the picture in the manufacturer spec page.
The manufacturer picture is similar to an 1831E. The 1831E/QCN8093B have no SD card slot.
@brokensword if your camera looks like the picture below, there is a small cutout on the bottom of the front faceplate. You should be able to take a plastic knife and gently pop this off, it's just adhesive. Underneath there are four screws, remove them and carefully lift the lens assembly off the camera. Underneath, you should then see a red reset button. With the camera powered up, press and hold for 10 seconds to default the camera. Remove power, then reassemble camera. Should work now.
Also, be advised. If you're using the NVR POE, and using the plug-and-play method of connecting, the NVR will configure the cameras to it's own subnet 10.x.x.x. This may present challenges if you ever need to diagnose a problem, since you will not easily be able to get to the camera via 192.x.x.x. You may be better off getting a POE switch, configuring the cameras individually, then adding to the NVR via a static IP address assigned to each camera in the camera interface. Make all your settings in each camera, don't use the NVR to configure camera settings. Another benefit is that you don't have one point of failure. If your NVR goes out, so does your POE source, and all your cameras. If you have a POE switch, and the NVR goes out, you can use a PC and NVR software as a backup. I started with a Q-See kit also, and found the POE to be a bit flaky, so I bought a POE switch. I found it tedious to work with the NVR interface, and got Blue Iris (3). I never went back to using the NVR. Just food for thought as you get your system to a running condition.

BTW, the default port on some of Q-See's cameras may be :85

1649044728564.png

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The older Q-See kits were packaged as plug and play, if everything is default, you should not have to add the camera user and password. But did you try admin/123456 or admin/12345? You do edit the camera password in the NVR setup tab, click the pencil under modify. IIRC, the QCN8093B may be based on the Dahua IPC-HFW1831E. Both cameras were available on market about the same time, and this was the only (first?) 8MP camera with a 1/1.8 (Q-See's "1/2").
@mat200 was the picture from ebay supposed to be this model? the lens face of the camera in the ebay picture does not match the lens face of the picture in the manufacturer spec page.
The manufacturer picture is similar to an 1831E. The 1831E/QCN8093B have no SD card slot.
@brokensword if your camera looks like the picture below, there is a small cutout on the bottom of the front faceplate. You should be able to take a plastic knife and gently pop this off, it's just adhesive. Underneath there are four screws, remove them and carefully lift the lens assembly off the camera. Underneath, you should then see a red reset button. With the camera powered up, press and hold for 10 seconds to default the camera. Remove power, then reassemble camera. Should work now.
Also, be advised. If you're using the NVR POE, and using the plug-and-play method of connecting, the NVR will configure the cameras to it's own subnet 10.x.x.x. This may present challenges if you ever need to diagnose a problem, since you will not easily be able to get to the camera via 192.x.x.x. You may be better off getting a POE switch, configuring the cameras individually, then adding to the NVR via a static IP address assigned to each camera in the camera interface. Make all your settings in each camera, don't use the NVR to configure camera settings. Another benefit is that you don't have one point of failure. If your NVR goes out, so does your POE source, and all your cameras. If you have a POE switch, and the NVR goes out, you can use a PC and NVR software as a backup. I started with a Q-See kit also, and found the POE to be a bit flaky, so I bought a POE switch. I found it tedious to work with the NVR interface, and got Blue Iris (3). I never went back to using the NVR. Just food for thought as you get your system to a running condition.

View attachment 124321
Yes the face looked different from the ebay pictures and the spec sheet .. not certain what to make of it though ..

Reaction score

View attachment 124321
THANK YOU so much, MM!! it worked. The switch wasn't red and if it was any smaller I'd have missed it AGAIN, but there it was, under the circuit board peeking out. Did the deed, cam worked! Spend all night fixing the other 12, although one cam still won't fire up, so probably something internal but for being gifted this system, I'll take 12 out of 13 any day! IF you have any possible ideas to resurrect the cam, let me know. When given, I was told all the cams were working, that's the only reason I'm asking.

I'll start that 'how I fixed my QSee thread as promised because this was way past frustrating; someone else might have this system still and need to know like I did. Took pics and with your instruction, will post for anyone else.

Thank you again! If you hadn't sounded confident that switch was there, I'd never have looked again because I took the unit apart twice and never saw it. But, I was looking on top or by the lens, not underneath. Smallest press-able switch I've ever seen!

I also read everything else you wrote re NOT hooking them directly up to the NVR; I'll tackle that issue next after I'm confident the system is going to work. Although I'm going to use this for the house, half the cams are going to be used as UW cams for my pond. I finally got a leak-proof housing and I'll be placing a couple underwater as well as above to monitor the other inhabitants I have (my pond is screen-enclosed). The rest I'll put around the periphery of the house so they will not be as easily accessible and your idea will make a lot more sense in that regard. Pond first, house second as spring has almost arrived and the fish are waking up.

A million thanks! The hours I spent cursing the whole thing is now worth it once you gave me the key to success!

msquared

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If #13 won't power up via POE, the only other way to get to the factory default process is if you powered the camera via the DC connector, but there are no guarantees on that. (But an alternate power source is good to have for troubleshooting purposes)

Glad I could help.

Reaction score
If #13 won't power up via POE, the only other way to get to the factory default process is if you powered the camera via the DC connector, but there are no guarantees on that. (But an alternate power source is good to have for troubleshooting purposes)

Glad I could help.
can you suggest something moderately priced on Amazon (or other) as the aux power source? I tried once with an adaptor from whatever (said 12v) but nearly fried the thing and ended up getting a 4 port PoE switch. I'm supposing you mean other than that.

msquared

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I would think best practices for anything electrical would be to match the volt and amps of the camera. Oddly, I do not own one of these devices. The Dahua documentation for the 1831E only list DC12V, no amp value. The Q-See documentation says DC12V 1A. I do not know if this is standard, nor do I know the barrel (plug) size, but if I had to take an educated guess, I would get the one in the link provided. I'm not saying to get this one, or from this seller, only to show you what you should be looking for. Having something like this in your toolbox gives you more data to diagnose issues. I would say this is probably it, since Dahua is also the OEM for Amcrest cameras, and searching for a power supply for Amcrest cameras list the 5.5mm plug.

@EMPIRETECANDY Mr. Andy, or another forum member that has a DC power supply confirmed to be the right one to work with Dahua IP cameras (Q-See) might be able to add a little info to validate you're on the right path.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Any 12VDC wall wart rated to supply at least the amount of power will work. If it's larger, say the camera needs .75 amps and you have a 2 amp supply, there is no danger. If there were using anything other than a 1150 watt light bulb in a table lamp wouldn't "be safe". The camera r other device will only use the amount of current it requires.

Reaction score

View attachment 124321
@msquared ; okay, now that my frustration has waned with the successful resetting of the cameras, I'm considering what you proposed above. After what I went through just trying to learn the system and how to fix it, I'm going to assume what you described is not as easy as it looks. That is, I'm sure to run into problems. Is there a concise webpage/pdf instruction on exactly what to do? In another thread here at Ipcamtalk, they spoke of a config tool. I downloaded and it crashed on me. I'm using a Mac, and figure this is adding to my issues.

So, can you point me to something that details exactly how to set up each camera as an independent, something I can use via my Mac? I have a 4 port PoE switch now with two available openings to try this out and if I can get it working, I'd like to go the route you're proposing, but I need to understand what I'm doing. I only got into PoE and security cams in the last year and my experience is not much with 4 different cam brands, one of which has died (and was least user friendly).

I actually fixed two Reolink cams I thought I'd killed (my UW housing leaked and messed the cables up before I could rescue them) and the software for them works like plug and play, which is nice. When I hooked up one of the QSee cams the same way, I got nothing, but I hadn't reset anything yet, so maybe that was the problem. I'd still like a concise descriptive (vid, pics, etc) of the process so I can learn and understand when/if something goes wrong. Consider me just barely beyond a newb with this and speak slowly!

I appreciate any help/direction you can give!

Thanks.

msquared

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This is just my personal preference, but also aligning to best practices from this site, is to not have the NVR command the settings for the cameras, i.e. not "plug-and-play", configure all settings on each camera. You can still use the NVR for recording if you wish. I personally find reviewing and extracting video thru an NVR to be not user friendly, but don't let this put you off. Learn about your equipment, use it, and decide for yourself. Inevitably, problems will occur, and the limitations of having the cameras attached to the NVR drove me nuts trying to troubleshoot. I decided to have more flexibility and move away from the NVR. I moved all my cameras to a POE switch, and configured each camera thru the web interface of the camera. This allowed me to set a static IP address for each camera, allowing troubleshooting on a more granular basis, rather than as a whole system, where I couldn't determine if there was an issue with the camera or the NVR.
I will do my best to help, your request actually encompasses not only setting up the camera, adding the camera to the NVR, but also setting up to make sure you are secure. I personally turn off UPNP, on everything, always. I use a VPN for remote access. I block camera IP using my router. There are more extreme measures, but I feel this is a solid baseline.
I'm going to assume that after you reset your cameras, you did not hook them back up to the NVR. If you did, the NVR is going to auto assign it to the 10.x.x.x subnet of the built in POE switch. If you did hook them back up to the NVR, you will need to factory reset them again. This is important because none of the steps below will work if the camera still has an IP address of 10.x.x.x from the NVR. For whatever reason, the QSee cameras, even when set to DHCP, never would release the POE subnet address once connected to the NVR. They needed to be factory reset.
You can learn what we will do with one camera, using your 4 port POE switch, then get a larger POE switch for more cameras if you choose. IMHO, if all your cameras are the same, i.e. if you have 13 8MP cameras, I think that's going to be a challenge for most consumer grade NVR's. (out of the scope of your question, just an FYI moving forward)
Also, I'm not going to be much of a resource for other brands of cameras outside of the Q-See cameras discussed above, because they are mostly the same thing as Dahua. Getting third party cameras to work with a different brand NVR is just more trouble than it's worth, therefore I have no knowledge of how to do that. Early on, I always matched my equipment. (unless you use NVR software like Blue Iris, also outside the scope of your original question)
So you have a reset camera, and a POE switch to power it. You connect a cable from the POE switch to the camera. You have to use one of the ports from the POE switch and connect it to your router. Once everything is connected, you access the web interface of the camera via it's default (or DHCP assigned) IP address. Since most cameras from the factory have the same IP address, this is why you have to set them up one at a time, and give them individual static IP addresses. This is where the config tool is one option. But you indicated you have a Mac. I have zero experience with modern Apple computers. And your previous posts indicate the config tool crashed on you. So, the problem I don't have a ready solution for, is that I don't know if the cameras you have will let you access the web interface without a browser plug in. I do not know if your cameras just happen to have a firmware new enough not to require one. As your cameras are circa 2018, same as the 1831E, I suspect they do not. Fortunately, I have multiple 1831E's in use in my system, and I was smart enough not to update the firmware on one of them so it is still running the 2.6 series firmware, so that camera is in a good position to be a test candidate (closest match to your QSee cameras) to find out how to get access to the camera web interface thru a modern browser using IE compatibility mode. (since IE is going away, might as well work sustainability into the discussion)
If you are absolutely sure you had the latest Dahua config tool, and it didn't work for whatever reason, I can see only two options:
1. You can connect one camera to the POE switch, connect the POE switch to the router. IIRC, these cameras defaulted to DHCP for an IP address. So I would have the web interface to your router open, and look for an IP address you did not see before. If/when you do, you go back to another brower window, and type that IP address in. For the QSee cameras, you will probably have to add :85. So you type in 192.168.1.xxx:85 and see if the interface comes up, or you get a message, or you get nothing.
2. You may need to use a Windows computer, preferrably Windows 10, where you can either try the config tool again, or we can try using Edge in compatibility mode to get to the camera web interface. (since IE is being deprecated soon)
(Possibly) 3. You may also be able to accomplish this using your Mac by running a virtual Windows machine using Parallels Desktop or VMWare Fusion. (outside my knowledge base)

Last edited:
Reaction score
This is just my personal preference, but also aligning to best practices from this site, is to not have the NVR command the settings for the cameras, i.e. not "plug-and-play", configure all settings on each camera. You can still use the NVR for recording if you wish. I personally find reviewing and extracting video thru an NVR to be not user friendly, but don't let this put you off. Learn about your equipment, use it, and decide for yourself. Inevitably, problems will occur, and the limitations of having the cameras attached to the NVR drove me nuts trying to troubleshoot. I decided to have more flexibility and move away from the NVR. I moved all my cameras to a POE switch, and configured each camera thru the web interface of the camera. This allowed me to set a static IP address for each camera, allowing troubleshooting on a more granular basis, rather than as a whole system, where I couldn't determine if there was an issue with the camera or the NVR.
I will do my best to help, your request actually encompasses not only setting up the camera, adding the camera to the NVR, but also setting up to make sure you are secure. I personally turn off UPNP, on everything, always. I use a VPN for remote access. I block camera IP using my router. There are more extreme measures, but I feel this is a solid baseline.
I'm going to assume that after you reset your cameras, you did not hook them back up to the NVR. If you did, the NVR is going to auto assign it to the 10.x.x.x subnet of the built in POE switch. If you did hook them back up to the NVR, you will need to factory reset them again. This is important because none of the steps below will work if the camera still has an IP address of 10.x.x.x from the NVR. For whatever reason, the QSee cameras, even when set to DHCP, never would release the POE subnet address once connected to the NVR. They needed to be factory reset.
You can learn what we will do with one camera, using your 4 port POE switch, then get a larger POE switch for more cameras if you choose. IMHO, if all your cameras are the same, i.e. if you have 13 8MP cameras, I think that's going to be a challenge for most consumer grade NVR's. (out of the scope of your question, just an FYI moving forward)
Also, I'm not going to be much of a resource for other brands of cameras outside of the Q-See cameras discussed above, because they are mostly the same thing as Dahua. Getting third party cameras to work with a different brand NVR is just more trouble than it's worth, therefore I have no knowledge of how to do that. Early on, I always matched my equipment. (unless you use NVR software like Blue Iris, also outside the scope of your original question)
So you have a reset camera, and a POE switch to power it. You connect a cable from the POE switch to the camera. You have to use one of the ports from the POE switch and connect it to your router. Once everything is connected, you access the web interface of the camera via it's default (or DHCP assigned) IP address. Since most cameras from the factory have the same IP address, this is why you have to set them up one at a time, and give them individual static IP addresses. This is where the config tool is one option. But you indicated you have a Mac. I have zero experience with modern Apple computers. And your previous posts indicate the config tool crashed on you. So, the problem I don't have a ready solution for, is that I don't know if the cameras you have will let you access the web interface without a browser plug in. I do not know if your cameras just happen to have a firmware new enough not to require one. As your cameras are circa 2018, same as the 1831E, I suspect they do not. Fortunately, I have multiple 1831E's in use in my system, and I was smart enough not to update the firmware on one of them so it is still running the 2.6 series firmware, so that camera is in a good position to be a test candidate (closest match to your QSee cameras) to find out how to get access to the camera web interface thru a modern browser using IE compatibility mode. (since IE is going away, might as well work sustainability into the discussion)
If you are absolutely sure you had the latest Dahua config tool, and it didn't work for whatever reason, I can see only two options:
1. You can connect one camera to the POE switch, connect the POE switch to the router. IIRC, these cameras defaulted to DHCP for an IP address. So I would have the web interface to your router open, and look for an IP address you did not see before. If/when you do, you go back to another brower window, and type that IP address in. For the QSee cameras, you will probably have to add :85. So you type in 192.168.1.xxx:85 and see if the interface comes up, or you get a message, or you get nothing.
2. You may need to use a Windows computer, preferrably Windows 10, where you can either try the config tool again, or we can try using Edge in compatibility mode to get to the camera web interface. (since IE is being deprecated soon)
(Possibly) 3. You may also be able to accomplish this using your Mac by running a virtual Windows machine using Parallels Desktop or VMWare Fusion. (outside my knowledge base)
Thanks a lot for this; will give it a try. I'm assuming if I get into the guts and am able to assign a static IP, that if I disconnect from the switch, it will stay, correct? That I'm altering something inside the cam software.

Yes, the system I was given is from 2018; I don't think there was any upgrade in firmware as I know these were sitting in boxes for maybe a year.

I did download the latest (v4.01, I think, right from Dahua's site itself). I might be able to get my wife to bring home a work laptop (a PC), if that is easier in the scheme of things.

Once I assign new IPs to the cams, the QSee NVR will find them and I add 'manually' or will it add them automatically? One of my Reolinks would show in the NVR search and I just clicked 'add' and voila, there it was. I THINK I had to tell it the pw and username, but that was in the beginning of the whole mess and I don't actually recall but would make that assumption. I get conflicting info re whether the 'pencil' icon actually changes info via the NVR or if it's just a reflection of what it HAS to be, not that I'm changing anything there.

What I was thinking is to get (3) four port switches (more for redundancy) and hook up the 12 cams. From what I'm reading above, the feeds will all be via static web addresses; how would I see them all at once? Is that where Blue Iris or other vms software comes into play? And if so, which? I'd actually rather use the computer than the nvr as I have to switch from comp to another input for the tv to see the QSee feeds now. Not a huge bother but I'm more on the comp and this also gives me the ability to see the feeds from two different rooms instead of the one where the NVR is connected.

When you talk about the 8k cams and it might be too much, in what respect? In one big PoE switch? Or in taking in the entire feed allotment re resolution etc? Just wanted to know if I have limitations ahead of me there.

I'm assuming the UPNP is an option within the camera url interface? Or is it something via the router's? As of now, I don't have a VPN (never had a security system before, no need before); recommendations? I currently don't use a cell phone, but my wife has one and I know we'll be wanting to check in when away from the house. Also, blocking the cam IP via the router; that is also in the router window as an option?

As an example; I get the IP addy to be something like 192.168.1.16, I add the :85 and type all that into a different browser window. Once up, I use the config tool (or can I do it via this window?) and manually change it to something like 192.168.1.45 -- is this correct? If I mistakenly give it an address of the other computer or the PoE switch, it won't let me do that, right? Or do I need to be careful and note ahead of time all these other addresses and NOT infringe on them? From what I remember, the two different comps I have, had the same addy the few times I noticed them recently while trying to research this whole process. They didn't change, so the router isn't doing this dynamically for those two units, right? I know the one Reolink DOES change periodically from one addy to one very close; I'm assuming that's coming from being hooked up to the switch, yes?

After I get them all placed on switches, the NVR reads them too; will I have same functionality re recording, setting alarms, et al ? So if the NVR fails, the feeds are still there, just not the record/alarm/alert functions, and can be seen live by such as my wife's phone.

So, guess I have 12 cams to reset again, but at least I know what to do now. Will experiment with the one and become familiar with it. It's almost my busy season (landscaper, here) so will be an evolving process this spring as I get time to work on everything, but doing one will get my head into the game.

Thanks again for taking time and being thorough; it really helps!

msquared

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm going to have to copy some of your post into mine so I can address your questions one at a time.

I'm assuming if I get into the guts and am able to assign a static IP, that if I disconnect from the switch, it will stay, correct? That I'm altering something inside the cam software.

Yes, in the camera web interface, change from DHCP to static, and assign a number, and save. This setting should be retained even after camera is powered off. You want to get a network map of your devices so you don't assign a number that is already in use, and keep them in a block. Personally, I started with .200 and worked up from there, so I know all my cameras end with .2xx

Yes, the system I was given is from 2018; I don't think there was any upgrade in firmware as I know these were sitting in boxes for maybe a year.

I did download the latest (v4.01, I think, right from Dahua's site itself). I might be able to get my wife to bring home a work laptop (a PC), if that is easier in the scheme of things.

That's up to you, how much time you want to invest in the different options. If you want to do this, rather than just the "plug and play, use it as it came out the box method", you're going to need to get to the camera web interface somehow.
If you already tried the config tool, and the Mac browser with/without plugins did not get you access, your options seem to point to Windows. Personally, if I owned a Mac, I'd use the noted methods to be able to also have access to a Windows install. That's just the way the world works.

From what you describe your plans are, it sound like there is value in upgrading the firmware on your NVR to the 4.x series firmware. From what I have seen in other posts regarding the 4 series interface and features, it is worth the upgrade. I didn't catch the exact model number of the NVR, but if you downloaded firmware for the NVR from the Dahua site, I'm assuming you have a Dahua NVR and 13 Q-See IP cameras (12 working) of same/different models (?)
I have not updated firmware on an NVR, so I would recommend doing research carefully before attempting, since there is always risk in updating firmware. I would say this is something that should be considered early in your project, there's no point in investing a bunch of time configuring the NVR, only to wipe out your settings in a firmware update. Bea dvised this will probably reset the NVR to default, so you will not be able to log in using the current user and password. You should be sure you have the default user and password before performing this action.

Once I assign new IPs to the cams, the QSee NVR will find them and I add 'manually' or will it add them automatically?

You will have to either use the manual/device search feature, or add the IP address manually, and the NVR will detect. The only thing you want the NVR doing is for monitoring and recording. Yes, you will probably have to edit the user and pw for that camera before it will go to a connected status. These are settings changed for the NVR to connect to the camera.

One of my Reolinks would show in the NVR search and I just clicked 'add' and voila, there it was. I THINK I had to tell it the pw and username, but that was in the beginning of the whole mess and I don't actually recall but would make that assumption. I get conflicting info re whether the 'pencil' icon actually changes info via the NVR or if it's just a reflection of what it HAS to be, not that I'm changing anything there.

See answer above. Also, it is not recommended to mix brands when using an NVR. The brand Reolink is also not recommended because standard IP camera practices are not followed (i.e. a non-user controlled, variable i-frame rate setting, which causes very poor night time picture quality). I would not recommend use of these cameras. Your Q-See cameras (Dahua based) will give you more robust performance across the board.

What I was thinking is to get (3) four port switches (more for redundancy) and hook up the 12 cams. From what I'm reading above, the feeds will all be via static web addresses; how would I see them all at once?

You can view all the cameras at once by attaching a tv or monitor to the NVR HDMI output, or logging in to the web interface of the NVR, after all your cameras are connected. I do not know what the number of cameras that can be viewed at one time is for your model NVR.

I don't know how many switches you would prefer for your use case and locations. I do agree on any plan of redundancy. I have two 16 ports Netgear Prosafe switches. One is a backup in the even the other one fails for any reason.

Is that where Blue Iris or other vms software comes into play? And if so, which? I'd actually rather use the computer than the nvr as I have to switch from comp to another input for the tv to see the QSee feeds now. Not a huge bother but I'm more on the comp and this also gives me the ability to see the feeds from two different rooms instead of the one where the NVR is connected.

Based on what you just said, it sounds like a software NVR like Blue Iris would meet your needs. It will be easier to deal with than the NVR, and a vast resource in this site for support. You should start reading articles in the Wiki (link located at top in the toolbar).

When you talk about the 8k cams and it might be too much, in what respect? In one big PoE switch? Or in taking in the entire feed allotment re resolution etc? Just wanted to know if I have limitations ahead of me there.

Bandwidth. NVR have a limit to the bandwidth. Just because it has 16 ports, doesn't mean you should connect 16 cameras. There are countless posts of people who will max out or exceed the capability of their equipment, then come to this site to bitch about it.
Another complaint I've seen posted is people who mis-configure their equipment, and wonder why it's choppy video because they're using the main stream instead of the sub stream to view 16x8MP feeds the size of a post it note at the same time. To be fair, they just don't know (yet, everyone starts somewhere). Blue Iris, set up correctly, meets everything you said you need, but the fact is that it will need to be purchased, as well as a pc to be used for this purpose. So you have the option of using the NVR you have now, or setting up a PC NVR. It is not recommended to use your daily driver PC as your PC NVR. PC NVR is set it up using best practices on the Wiki, and you just leave it alone. Some members here have their Blue Iris PC NVR running months non-stop without issues.

I'm assuming the UPNP is an option within the camera url interface? Or is it something via the router's?

UPNP option is located in the camera, and also (should be) in your router web interface. UPNP should be turned off in every device if possible. It is an insecure method to connect devices.

As of now, I don't have a VPN (never had a security system before, no need before); recommendations?

I have an Asus router, therefore I use the built in OpenVPN feature to remote into my local network. I would say it is easy to set up and use.

I currently don't use a cell phone, but my wife has one and I know we'll be wanting to check in when away from the house.

Blue Iris has an app for both Android and iOS. Very easy to use, and in conjunction with VPN use, a secure way to see your cameras remotely. If this is a Dahua NVR, I believe there is an app to view the cameras also.

Also, blocking the cam IP via the router; that is also in the router window as an option?

Yes, I use the parental features of my router to block the IP address of each camera from any traffic in or out. I do this immediately after I change the camera IP to a static address. No IP camera should have direct access to the internet.

As an example; I get the IP addy to be something like 192.168.1.16, I add the :85 and type all that into a different browser window. Once up, I use the config tool (or can I do it via this window?) and manually change it to something like 192.168.1.45 -- is this correct?

Yes, either the config tool, or thru the camera's web interface on the network tab is where you change the connection type from DHCP to static, and set your IP address. See cautions regarding this in previous answer(s).

If I mistakenly give it an address of the other computer or the PoE switch, it won't let me do that, right?

I don't know that. I don't know what your router is to say whether it is smart enough to not let you duplicate an IP address for two devices. I would plan ahead and have a map of my whole network. Regardless, even if you did duplicate it on a camera, just factory reset it again.

Or do I need to be careful and note ahead of time all these other addresses and NOT infringe on them?

Yes.

From what I remember, the two different comps I have, had the same addy the few times I noticed them recently while trying to research this whole process. They didn't change, so the router isn't doing this dynamically for those two units, right? I know the one Reolink DOES change periodically from one addy to one very close; I'm assuming that's coming from being hooked up to the switch, yes?

I'm not crystal clear on what the question is, but in general, devices are either set to DHCP, where they will dynamically acquire a random IP address from the router, and may change, or a static IP address, where the device will have the IP address fixed. Be advised, that setting a static IP address in a device is based on your network. If a device is removed from your network and added to another, that static IP address may be a duplicate on the new network, and appear as though the device isn't functioning. Just some info to store away.

After I get them all placed on switches, the NVR reads them too; will I have same functionality re recording, setting alarms, et al ? So if the NVR fails, the feeds are still there, just not the record/alarm/alert functions, and can be seen live by such as my wife's phone.

The cameras are on the network, to be seen by whatever you want to see them, the NVR, software, etc. Once added to the device list, the features such as recording and other settings will operate the same.

If the NVR fails you lose the ability to record. If you're using the NVR app to view the cameras remotely, and the NVR fails, you lose the ability to see the cameras, but yes, the cameras are still there on the network.

One of my early setups when I still utilized the NVR, was that I had a dedicated PC running Blue Iris. My backup was the NVR, which was on a wifi outlet that I could turn on remotely in the event of any problem with the Blue Iris setup or PC, until I could get home to diagnose. I think I had to use that backup system once. Now I have a dedicated PC, but full redundancy on my daily driver PC if needed. This is a benefit of having cameras on the network rather than connected to an NVR-flexibility.

I'm not sure how to answer your questions, because you got the NVR for nothing. I'm not trying to convince you into spending money if you don't want to. You inherited this system at no cost. Everyone comes to the site for different reasons. Some what to be educated. Others just want someone to tell them what do to. I don't like NVR's, they're too difficult to use. This is an opinion. I was willing to invest in something more flexible, and my setup currently includes Blue Iris. You may want to invest the time in what you already have, and improve from there in the future.

So, guess I have 12 cams to reset again, but at least I know what to do now. Will experiment with the one and become familiar with it. It's almost my busy season (landscaper, here) so will be an evolving process this spring as I get time to work on everything, but doing one will get my head into the game.

Last edited:
Reaction score
@msquared

Again, thank you! I've got all this copied and pasted and will give it a try. I may just work with the NVR and see how it goes but will also set up at least one camera as you've outlined as it seems more in line with what I eventually want.

The QSee I got is everything --no Dahua at all. The only config tool I could find was from Dahua and I read in another thread here that QSee often used Dahua cams, so just went that way. I don't think I ever found any resource for a QSee config tool. In all my searching, I can't even find a manual explaining what something like the 'fn' button on the NVR front is for! And it was through trial and error I found 'shift' would lock/unlock the view I was getting. Btw, this NVR can show 16 channels and I saw a pic of the former owner's setup; all but 2 had cam feeds, so I'm assuming this unit can do the job, minimally.

Okay, will cut the Reolinks from the process. Thought it would be easier to have one window for everything but don't need to intro more issues.

So look for any QSee update ,then? Hope I can find one.

Too, I'm a pretty stalwart Mac guy and even though my wife uses one, the few times I've tried to 'help', was about as frustrating as the QSee, well, almost. But, I could get over it, I suppose...

And I appreciate your approach; sure, I'd like 'just tell me what to do' but the folly there is when something goes wrong in the future, YOU may not be around, you know? So, I'd rather learn. I tend to fix most things myself, hence all this aggravation endured re the QSee.