Putting Camouflage Tape On My Dahua 5442E-ZE Camera

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
As I stated in another thread I have not like the results of where this camera has been located. So I stated that I am going to relocate the camera to a tree so I can get a better view down the street and the sidewalk. I have ordered CAT6 burial cable and it should be here by the end of next week. I have a spare Dahua 5442E-ZE camera that I will use as the guinea pig to see if all of this is feasible. The camera that I will use in the end is a Dahua 5442E-Z4E which will remain in the current position until I see the results of this experiment. First picture is the camouflage duct tape on the camera. I am getting tired and will finish the rest of it in the morning. Second picture is an older picture showing the location and the tree in the lower left corner that the camera will be installed in. By the way the flash of the camea makes the camo look more vivid than it actually is.

Edit: I painted the camera all black before I put on the camouflage tape.

Camouflage IP Camera.JPG

Camera 4B License Plate.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
There are a few threads here where folks put a cam in a tree. There was always comments that people wondered if it would be noticed and vandalized. It would seem that a white cam on a dark tree would stick out. So it would be interesting to see this camo'ed cam in a tree and see how it compares. @IReallyLikePizza2 did a nice set of shots of his, which is one I can remember.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
What camera? What camo tape? :idk:
The tape is made by Duct Tape and is 1.88" wide. I find that the tape cuts better with scissors if you have a slight tug on the scissors while cutting. Here is a picture of the finished product. I used an Xacto knife to cut out the holes. The tape was not that hard to work with.
Camouflage IP Camera Beta.JPG

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok, a lot of progress made today. I have the camera temporarily hooked up with a 50' length of patch cable. It works. This location gives me a good overall view of the street which is what I am looking for. However in broad daylight you can see the camera from the front. Maybe I need to order some pine tree camouflage. Hahaha. Here are a couple of pictures.

Camera 4B Tree Location View.jpg

Camera 4B Tree Location Picture.JPG

Last edited:

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Just be ready for the sway in the wind. I've got a couple mounted on oaks and pine sways a lot more being more flexible.
The base mounting is on a dead 3" limb lower in the tree, so it should not sway too much. But I do agree that it will sway some. At least now I can see on the other side of my fence and people parked there.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Mine are down on the trunk, say about seven feet up. The trunks are in the 18" diameter class and they sway and twist in the wind even in the winter without leaves. You can get seasick watching them if you watch long enough. The pine will do the same thing, only more so. Keep an eye on everything due to growth of the trunk, diameter. I ended up making brackets out of 1/4" aluminum bar stock for the sealtite to keep it from getting crushed every couple of years. More than once I've had broken mounting screws inside the box for the same reason. You've got to keep an eye on them for that kind of problem.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Mine are down on the trunk, say about seven feet up. The trunks are in the 18" diameter class and they sway and twist in the wind even in the winter without leaves. You can get seasick watching them if you watch long enough. The pine will do the same thing, only more so. Keep an eye on everything due to growth of the trunk, diameter. I ended up making brackets out of 1/4" aluminum bar stock for the sealtite to keep it from getting crushed every couple of years. More than once I've had broken mounting screws inside the box for the same reason. You've got to keep an eye on them for that kind of problem.
Thanks for the heads up.