Pushover discontinuing SMS Backup Delivery

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
While most of us that use Pushover are either using the Pushover email option or the API option that @jaydeel created a thread about, for those that were using the SMS feature of Pushover, that feature will stop on July 1, 2024.

This is a great article that discusses in more detail why SMS functionality has been getting more difficult and why most of us migrated to Pushover due to mobile providers tightening their Spam Algorithms.

"In the six years since Pushover for Teams launched with SMS Backup Delivery, mobile phone providers worldwide have greatly tightened restrictions on SMS delivery to combat spam and fraud. While mostly well-intentioned, these restrictions make it difficult and costly for small businesses like Pushover to send legitimate SMS messages to our customers who have opted into receiving them.

Mobile phone providers and SMS services like the one we use are pushing companies to purchase “short codes” (5-6 digit numbers) for automated SMS delivery rather than the country-specific “long codes” we are currently using. Unfortunately the cost of acquiring and leasing a short code is extremely expensive and laborious, especially as carriers in each country where we want to deliver messages each impose large monthly fees which would greatly eclipse all of the revenue generated by our Pushover for Teams service as a whole."

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this.

I’ve not looked at the Pushover blog since last Spring. Now I see another interesting post dated 7/10/2023. Among other things, it describes a new feature for in-app support of the continued development of Pushover.

1707317436827.jpeg

I just tried this on my Android device and gave a one-time tip of $9.99.

Pushover is worth every cent.

1707317825823.jpeg 1707317872521.jpeg

Last edited:

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this.

I’ve not looked at the Pushover blog since last Spring. Now I see another interesting post dated 7/10/2023. Among other things, it describes a new feature for in-app support of the continued development of Pushover.

View attachment 185501

I just tried this in on my Android device and gave a one-time tip of $9.99.

Pushover is worth every cent.

View attachment 185502 View attachment 185503
I feel they are likely to get more revenue this way than if they were to go subscription or charge by the number of calls/notifications.

anotherone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'd pay $10 per year for a subscription service with SMS capabilities.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
To be clear. The discontinuation is only for SMS Backup Delivery which is a part of the subscription service for Pushover for Teams product, correct? Those who are using standard free 10,000 push notification per month service are not impacted?

1707326806933.png