Purchasing new NVR

jbomba

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm thinking about purchasing a new NVR and was looking for some recommendations. My current setup is a Chinese purchased hacked hikvision system. I would like to continue to use the 2mp cameras on the new system. My NVR has done a decent job over the few years I've owned it however email alerts have stopped working and my motion detection settings seem to keep resetting themselves.unfortunately this system is not upgradeable however I knew this when I purchased it. I want an NVR that will email me snapshot pics on motion detection. My hikvision used to do this but the resolution of the image was awful. I'd like a full resolution image emailed to me. I've been using ezviz to remote monitor so a system like this where I don't have to mess around with port forwarding would be handy aswell.i forgot to mention I'm only running X2 cameras but I'd like expandability to x4. I've been looking at a few dahua units that seem to be competitively priced. Thought I'd ask the gurus for some recommendations. Once again I'm not sure if my multilanguage cameras are going to work With a new nvr. I have an old 4th gen i5 sff computer I could setup with blue iris but I'd imagine running a computer like this for 2 cameras would be very power inefficient compared to a dedicated NVR?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm thinking about purchasing a new NVR and was looking for some recommendations. My current setup is a Chinese purchased hacked hikvision system. I would like to continue to use the 2mp cameras on the new system. My NVR has done a decent job over the few years I've owned it however email alerts have stopped working and my motion detection settings seem to keep resetting themselves.unfortunately this system is not upgradeable however I knew this when I purchased it. I want an NVR that will email me snapshot pics on motion detection. My hikvision used to do this but the resolution of the image was awful. I'd like a full resolution image emailed to me. I've been using ezviz to remote monitor so a system like this where I don't have to mess around with port forwarding would be handy aswell.i forgot to mention I'm only running X2 cameras but I'd like expandability to x4. I've been looking at a few dahua units that seem to be competitively priced. Thought I'd ask the gurus for some recommendations. Once again I'm not sure if my multilanguage cameras are going to work With a new nvr. I have an old 4th gen i5 sff computer I could setup with blue iris but I'd imagine running a computer like this for 2 cameras would be very power inefficient compared to a dedicated NVR?
Run blue iris. Depending on the pc and the efficiency of its powersupply, you will consume about 20-35w of power....well worth it for the functionality.