PTZ question for any of the newer Dahua auto tracking models.

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
On the SD5A425GA-HNR the stepping is so little and there is no setting to adjust it. I assume this is to do with the auto tracking ?? But it really makes the PTZ controls in BI really sluggish and then wham...it goes to fast. Ken has tried to adjust the Dahua New V4 protocol but still bad. I am not sure there is much he can do anyway as even in the SD5A425GA-HNR web interface the control are sluggish.
So my question is how do they work in the other models ? Maybe there is or will be a PTZ firmware update for it. To clarify sluggish, I mean if you click once on the PTZ arrow, it hardly moves, like 1 step. If you keep clicking, then it will take off all of a sudden.

109.jpg 83.jpg

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
On the SD5A425GA-HNR the stepping is so little and there is no setting to adjust it. I assume this is to do with the auto tracking ?? But it really makes the PTZ controls in BI really sluggish and then wham...it goes to fast. Ken has tried to adjust the Dahua New V4 protocol but still bad. I am not sure there is much he can do anyway as even in the SD5A425GA-HNR web interface the control are sluggish.
So my question is how do they work in the other models ? Maybe there is or will be a PTZ firmware update for it. To clarify sluggish, I mean if you click once on the PTZ arrow, it hardly moves, like 1 step. If you keep clicking, then it will take off all of a sudden.

View attachment 166021 View attachment 166023
Hey @Tinman, if you're talking about PTZ controls in the Dahua web interface (or even Dahua mobile apps) then YES, the experience certainly is 'disconnected' for want of a better description between you pressing or holding the controls to it actually moving. I test a lot of cameras and can confirm that the last one that truly moved 'freely' and in line with your mouse clicks in the interface was the original 49225. Since that time this 'disconnected' feeling / response has been there. Now with that said, this is ONLY (in my experience with many cameras) in the Web GUI or those apps accessing the GUI through API calls etc. The actual Auto Tracking is smooth and on point + controlling PTZ through a Dahua NVR is also smooth AND responsive. Just the Web GUI that experiences this and in turn some of what you've seen with BI as well. Hope that helps narrow down where the issue exists. I will raise a bug request with Dahua dev / engineering and see if they can pinpoint the delay but primarily this appears more pronounced in the older Web GUI and most noticeable in Main Stream..

To continue that thought, I will add that in the Web 5.0 GUI this has improved for sure, for example in the unit I'm testing now. Just remember that if you want a truly connected response from the web GUI you will need to change your stream to Sub instead of using Main Stream.

HTH

Last edited:

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
Hey @Tinman, if you're talking about PTZ controls in the Dahua web interface (or even Dahua mobile apps) then YES, the experience certainly is 'disconnected' for want of a better description between you pressing or holding the controls to it actually moving. I test a lot of cameras and can confirm that the last one that truly moved 'freely' and in line with your mouse clicks in the interface was the original 49225. Since that time this 'disconnected' feeling / response has been there. Now with that said, this is ONLY (in my experience with many cameras) in the Web GUI or those apps accessing the GUI through API calls etc. The actual Auto Tracking is smooth and on point + controlling PTZ through a Dahua NVR is also smooth AND responsive. Just the Web GUI that experiences this and in turn some of what you've seen with BI as well. Hope that helps narrow down where the issue exists. I will raise a bug request with Dahua dev / engineering and see if they can pinpoint the delay but primarily this appears more pronounced in the older Web GUI and most noticeable in Main Stream..

To continue that thought, I will add that in the Web 5.0 GUI this has improved for sure, for example in the unit I'm testing now. Just remember that if you want a truly connected response from the web GUI you will need to change your stream to Sub instead of using Main Stream.

HTH
Thanks for your input Wildcat ! That is probably why I am seeing this as I came from a 49225 and you are correct, it felt much better ! I will give the sub stream a shot. I do like the way it auto tracks for sure, but when just doing some manual panning around not so much. I thought about trying a Dahua PTZ controller, but not sure if it would be any better using it in BI. You don't hear much about anyone using joysticks in BI.

I see a firmware update for this cam on Andy's page. Have you by any chance tried it ? Mine auto tracks and works so good on all other points I am very reluctant to update it.

110.jpg

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for your input Wildcat ! That is probably why I am seeing this as I came from a 49225 and you are correct, it felt much better ! I will give the sub stream a shot. I do like the way it auto tracks for sure, but when just doing some manual panning around not so much. I thought about trying a Dahua PTZ controller, but not sure if it would be any better using it in BI. You don't hear much about anyone using joysticks in BI.

I see a firmware update for this cam on Andy's page. Have you by any chance tried it ? Mine auto tracks and works so good on all other points I am very reluctant to update it.

View attachment 166041
Yes I’m testing that FW on the SD5A825 and it’s NOT good. So much so that with the feedback I provided to Dahua Dev / Engineering they’ve removed it from the Dahua site. Therefore I would advise against it @Tinman

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Mine auto tracks and works so good on all other points I am very reluctant to update it.
Many here preach Don't fix what ain't broke.

If the PTZ works for your needs, why mess with it.

You mention you come from the 49225, so certainly you were aware that updating that PTZ lost autotracking.

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
Many here preach Don't fix what ain't broke.

If the PTZ works for your needs, why mess with it.

You mention you come from the 49225, so certainly you were aware that updating that PTZ lost autotracking.
LOL, my 49225 was 6 years old, auto tracking was just a dream then and never did have it. BUT, the panning on that model had stepping adjustments and was very easy to pan in BI or the GUI. Unfortunately I can't say that for the SD5A425GA-HNR . I am sure the real small stepping is due to the smooth auto tracking motion of the cam. But I also like to manually pan around as well.

I might give access to my cam to Ken again and see if he can tweak the protocol some more. I do know now if you click or hold the panning arrow in BI too long the cam will go spinning out of control and the only way to stop it is to hit the opposite direction arrow, so something goofy with Dahua New V4 as it does not do that in the GUI.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would suggest that you embrace the 3D PTZ feature in both BI and in the cams Web Interface and in UI3.
Also, setup your favorite presets.
You might also adjust the "speed", in BI ptz setup to see if you can improve it any.

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
I made a quick video of trying to explain the issue with the SD5A425GA-HNR PTZ controls. In this case I used SmartPSS software as the arrow blinks when clicked and it has the stepping adjustment right below as you will see in video. For comparison I also used another of my Dahua PTZ cams to show the difference. Note that my other PTZ cam is not an auto tracking model. I have come to the conclusion that if you have an auto tracking camera the stepping adjustment must not apply as it has NO effect on the SD5A425GA-HNR cam. It does not matter what interface you use, it's just not as responsive to the manual controls. I am thinking if you did adjust the stepping it would screw up the smooth auto tracking, which this camera really shines on. I would still like to try one of Dahua's DHI-NKB1000 controllers, but hate to spend that much and have same results.

persten

n3wb
Reaction score
I have 9 years old SD59230S (whose picture began to degrade) and i am planning to buy SD5A425GA from Andy.
I often use ptz in SmartPSS software, but never use pan arrows!
I only use box selection on the camera image to zoom in or out of a region, or mouse poking to precisely rotate camera to object.
I have not had and do not plan to use autotracking. I don't need it at all.

Tinman, please, сan you describe how the SD5A425GA behaves in this mode (box selection and mouse poking) in SmartPSS?
Just like in the old 49225, or as bad as with pan arrows?
Maybe you can show it on video?

This is important to me and I'm already starting to doubt the purchase SD5A425GA.

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
I have 9 years old SD59230S (whose picture began to degrade) and i am planning to buy SD5A425GA from Andy.
I often use ptz in SmartPSS software, but never use pan arrows!
I only use box selection on the camera image to zoom in or out of a region, or mouse poking to precisely rotate camera to object.
I have not had and do not plan to use autotracking. I don't need it at all.

Tinman, please, сan you describe how the SD5A425GA behaves in this mode (box selection and mouse poking) in SmartPSS?
Just like in the old 49225, or as bad as with pan arrows?
Maybe you can show it on video?

This is important to me and I'm already starting to doubt the purchase SD5A425GA.
Sure can, all that part works great. It is mostly just using the arrow keys that is a little sluggish. I have on order from Andy a NKB1000 and hope this works great for me. I will post a review when it shows up.

Here is your example:

persten

n3wb
Reaction score
Tinman, thanks a lot!
I got relieved :)

Do you know that the direction of the zoom depends on the drawing direction of the rectangle?
In my opinion this is more convenient than climbing all the time to the lens icon to reduce the zoom :thumb:

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
Tinman, thanks a lot!
I got relieved :)

Do you know that the direction of the zoom depends on the drawing direction of the rectangle?
In my opinion this is more convenient than climbing all the time to the lens icon to reduce the zoom :thumb:
No I did not know that...but I do now ! Thanks :)

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
I have 9 years old SD59230S (whose picture began to degrade)
Have you ever disassembled the camera and clean the lens on the inside? My old SD49225 required this once and it made a big difference. When I swapped it out for my new SD5A425GA-HNR I took SD49225 apart and cleaned it again before giving it to my daughter. It's still going strong :)

persten

n3wb
Reaction score
Have you ever disassembled the camera...
No, never did a disassembly!
But, I have a slightly different problem than dirty lenses.
I think some kind of capacitor has dried up.
And for this, the voltage supplying the video signal amplifier has gone to the side.
This has been going on for more than three months, but sometimes the picture returns to normal. Usually, when it is very hot outside and the temperature in the camera rises to 50C the pink tint disappears .

рожевий.png рожевий 2.png

This behavior is very similar to a dying capacitor...
I will try to repair it when I buy and install a new camera.

Agree that 9 years of 24/7 operation is a very good indicator of the quality of Dahua!

cleaned it again before giving it to my daughter
Did you clean the front one of lens assembly or did you take the whole lens apart?

Last edited:

persten

n3wb
Reaction score
That pink is caused by the IR cut filter not moving as it should from in front of the lens.
No, this is not an IR filter! This has been verified with an external IR filter. In addition, the pink shade can be of different intensity and can change it right before your eyes.

And yes ... the IR filter is behind the lens, in front of the sensor.