PTZ or other?

stevep

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi, can someone tell me if a Dahua SD49225T-HN ptz will work with a Dahua NVR5216-16P-4KS2E? I think i am learning each day but dont want to make an error. Is this a good camera to have watching a over the rear of a house/drive/road and garden or should i have a fixed camera ie non ptz ? Are there any better value ptz's i should look at? Thanks.

Steve

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A PTZ can only look at one thing at a time. Several fixed cameras may serve you better.

stevep

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks guys for answer, can it be set to do a tour of an area?
Steve

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
ptzs can be set to do tours, you can set presets for them to tour and stop for a few seconds on each preset. You can set PTZs to go to a certain preset when an alarm input is triggered or motion from another camera is detected.

stevep

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So without wanting to sound stupid, what are their real benefits or real world purpose?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So without wanting to sound stupid, what are their real benefits or real world purpose?
A PTZ can cover a larger area that might otherwise require impractical number of fixed cameras. They can be very useful when someone is actively monitoring the video. As @bababouy mentioned there are ways to automate what's it's looking at with sensors or auto tracking (on some models). You can use them to zoom in and get more detail.

For the average house, starting with some fixed cameras makes more sense.