PTZ Network cable fishing advice/help please

beek

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I'm just a home hobbiest and have a few Hikvision 2032's I have ran but I have now picked up a Hikvision PTZ DS-2DE7184 30xand would like to put it at peak on the house facing outback. This one is more for enjoyment and checking on the lake and the chickens etc and not necessarily for security. My problem with this cable run is I don't have good attic access near the peak because the inside roof is a cathedral ceiling. My thoughts were to maybe use one of these 6 foot flexible drill bits and be able to catch the upper and drill into the attic. My concern is the distance (approx 5 ft) and the number of rafters/walls I would have to go though avoiding electrical/audio cables in there somewhere. How tough are these bits to control and do you have any other ideas of how to get POE+ cable ran for it? I was thinking drilling from outside in.

Thanks Here is a picture of the peak I want the camera located.

This is the view from the deck using pano on the phone.

Attachments

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
That is an amazing view, and a fantastic place for a good PTZ like that!!

I ran all my home cameras out of my garage (just one layer of plywood, no insulation) and strung the cables under the eaves. This let me avoid complicated and potentially very troublesome cable runs through the house. But my house is a single story with an uncomplicated roof. Yours there is not. And it also means there are visible network cables strung under most of my eaves.

One idea that probably makes no sense.. maybe you can run a cable from below to the upper section, like this where I have drawn the red line? That might open up more options for where you run the cable inside the house.
Greenshot_2015-02-13_09-21-33.png

Otherwise I can only state the obvious, which is to drill the hole right where you are mounting the camera so there is no exposed cable outdoors. If this is simply not possible due to the interior layout, then I would just drill in the most convenient spot anywhere in the triangular area and run the cable to the corner where wall meets eave, up to the peak, and then down to the camera. Be sure to form drip loops where necessary so water doesn't run into the camera's RJ45 jack or into the hole in the house (unless it is a very well sealed hole I guess).
PTZ Network cable fishing advicehelp please - Google Chrome_2015-02-13_09-23-17.png

I am very much an amateur at this. :)

Lebeter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think you gave him the best options considering the lack of post construction access on the home. Do you have any crawlspace access to any of those roof vents to get the line to the switch?

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Im having a hard time understanding why it would be a issue? you have windows there so there is obviously enough space above them to put a hole Find the location you want the camera, mock place it decide where you need the hole, go inside make sure you will not hit anything and drive a drill bit thru it.

Honestly if it were me I would line it up on the half way mark of the windows aka that white piece separating the two windows move it up about 2ft and have it nice and centered above the window. There surely can't be wires behind that piece of plywood since the window is all framed out and there would be no reason for wires there. drill one hole thru the siding and the plywood and call it a day. make sure to seal it tho